[Pokerole] Looking for an aspiring Pokemon trainer

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 6, 2021 11:23 pm
Edit: no more players needed, thank you for your interest! :)

Hello, folks!
I'm once again missing a partner for my project of learning Pokerole, a fan-made rpg system for playing in the world of Pokemon.

It's a bit crunchy and not too PbP-friendly, but I've been trying to simplify it during my duet game within the Mystery Dungeon setting. Alas, now I stand alone in this endeavor, and I was thinking of finding someone to join me in an attempt to practice the system some more.

I only played Mystery Dungeon module until now, but I wanted to try to actually run a proper Pokerole game, with trainers and such. So I'm looking for someone to play a young trainer setting out on their Pokemon journey (see any game protagonist) - so I can unleash my Pokemon villains, professors and rivals on them. XD It's up to you whether you want to roleplay your Pokemon too, or if you leave them for me, but you are going to be controlling their actions as per rules.
Basic pitch
A young kid of typical Pokemon protagonist nature sets out on a journey to become a Pokemon trainer. They get a starter, they get rivals (friendly and not-so-friendly varieties) and they travel around the made up region battling an evil team and finding new Pokemon friends. (Preferrably not too many Pokemon friends so they can get properly characterized.) Think about main Pokemon series, and imagine you're writing a game! Focus on Pokemon & trainer relations, as well as moral clash with the bad guys and maybe some personal drama with the rivals.

Goals
System practice. I don't have plans to tell an especially well-crafted plot, simply play around with it - wherever we decide to steer the story, it will go. So don't expect a lot of structure!
(Though I do have a villain team with a villain plan and a few planned villain deeds in mind, courtesy of the previous game.)

System
Pokerole. All of its books and sheets are free, since it's a fan-made project, and all are available to download on their site. It's alright if you are unfamiliar with it - I'm still not too well-versed either, so we'll help each other.

To those familiar: due to PbP constraints and specifics of the previous game, I decided to completely remove Clash mechanics from the game, at least temporarily. While cinematic, it drags out the battles and causes too much confusion about the moves' additional effects. Also, no lethal damage.

Posting rate:
2-3 posts per week usually, faster if we both can support it. I prefer slower games and longer posts, though in battles we can try to pick up the pace!

Warnings/themes:
Typical Pokemon stuff. Nothing too 13+, no especially dark themes (at least on the surface). Some stuff in canon Pokemon is bone-chilling when thought about too much, but let's brush it off in favor of a happy-go-lucky adventure and whimsical believe-in-your-animal-friends story. If we want to do something more serious later, we can discuss it then!

Also, for more questionable canon parts:
- No edible Pokemon. Pretend the entire world is vegetarian. XD As for the predator Pokemon, we can either decide that they are content to prey on berries, or keep the circle of life in for the sake of the trainer rescuing his Pokemon friends from the claws of predators.
- No animal fights in spirit - Pokemon like fighting and they don't get genuinely hurt from it. Hence, no lethal damage rules for this game. We can still have hurt Pokemon for drama, but it won't be just from casual, regulated battling.
- Children leaving home to journey the world is perfectly fine. They are well-protected by the League.
- Ghost Pokemon aren't actual ghosts, because that's not okay.

The worst things that I can imagine being mentioned is already in Pokemon canon one way or another, but if you want to avoid anything specific - let me know!

Miscellaneous
All communication done on the forum, no extra software required.
LGBTQ+ friendly - though obviously, PG-13. Main character is pretty young, after all.
No explicit language, please.

Let me know if you're interested! :)
Last edited July 9, 2021 12:54 pm
Jul 6, 2021 11:31 pm
Raises hand and looks around well someone's gotta rep Team Instinct so...
Jul 6, 2021 11:46 pm
Instinct? Greetings from Valor, yellow fiend friend! :D

But really, if you are interested, nice! I'll need to sort through the game forum and hide old threads for the sake of order keeping, but I can invite you tomorrow! :) Are you familiar with Pokerole? (It's fine if not, I was just debating if I should post my shortened cheat sheet on the game forum.)
Last edited July 6, 2021 11:53 pm
Jul 7, 2021 12:09 am
Nope never played, I can download books and read char gen and what note. You said kinda crunchy but probably not spreadsheet character sheet crunchy right?
Jul 7, 2021 12:29 am
It depends on what you would consider a spreadsheet, I think. XD The sheets are pretty long and have a lot of different stats, though most of it are various skill values (and moves for Pokemon). I had more trouble remembering battle process than making a character, since it's mostly about forming a dice pool for each roll - it's harder without physical visualization. Plus, specific move effects add extra things that need to be kept in mind.

The book is a bit chaotically organized, too, but you should be okay to make a character if you read Starting the Game part. There is a step by step trainer sheet instruction on pages 19/20.
Jul 7, 2021 1:08 am
eclipse phase character spreadsheet to calculate current skills and abilities... downloading and start parsing data
Jul 7, 2021 5:32 am
Quote:
Instinct? Greetings from Valor, yellow fiend friend! :D
https://y.yarn.co/64832182-105b-43be-bc8b-d633712c89b7_text.gif

Sounds like a fun idea, if it wasnt for the crunchy system 😄 Anyway, looks like you found someone. Have fun!
Jul 7, 2021 11:49 am
I mean it's our team color and I look good in yellow and black. *insert sounds of lightening chicken bird*
Jul 8, 2021 2:04 am
Remnant, I invited you to the game, come join it! :)
Jul 9, 2021 12:54 pm
I'll ask if Remnant doesn't mind another player and then get back to you! :D
Jul 9, 2021 3:51 pm
I know I flaked on you for the Mystery Dungeon game FlyingSucculent (sorry for that, weird timing).

The rules did look really crunchy (seemed especially for Mystery Dungeon) but it looked really fun. Hope you guys enjoy this.

Side note:
Since this is a crunchier system and character death is limited, I could totally see this being a great PvP type game. Heck losing battles actually helps the narrative.
Jul 9, 2021 9:18 pm
@Demagor, sent you the invite! Come join us. :D

@valdattaMadun, no worries, it's understandable! :)
Another player joined me short after you left, and though they ghosted by now I still got experience with the Mystery Dungeon addon. It was indeed kinda tricky with the rules since we both kept forgetting the finer details, but we got through three full battles in the end. ...my takeaway was that status moves are OP, and Clash really doesn't work with PbP.

As for PvP... well, there are GMPC rivals to offer, too. XD
Last edited July 9, 2021 9:18 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.