Let's choose a campaign!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 12, 2021 7:28 am
Hey there kiddos, here's how this shindig is going to go down.

Instead of choosing which of the campaigns on offer you'd like and then going to make a fish sandwich, we're going to use "ranked choice voting." That means that you rank the choices, 1 through 5, and then send me your choices. If one of them gets 50% or more of the votes, it wins. If not, then the choice in last is eliminated and players who chose that as their number 1 have their votes applied to their number 2 game. Then we check for a 50% majority again, and repeat.

Clear as mud? Check out this video, it really clears things up:

https://youtu.be/oHRPMJmzBBw

Ties will be decided by d20 rolls, highest roll wins.

Feel free to discuss the options with each other as much as you'd like in this thread. When you're ready to vote, message me directly and those will be your official votes. All votes will be kept anonymous. Feel free to ask questions, either about the voting system OR about any of the campaigns.

Ok, here are the options to choose from once again:
[ +- ] 1) Mini-Campaign/One-shot
[ +- ] 2) Pre-written Module
[ +- ] 3) Desert Homebrew Campaign
[ +- ] 4) Military Homebrew Campaign
[ +- ] 5) Ninth World (Numenara) Campaign
Jul 15, 2021 10:30 am
Ok, so: Random Choice voting.

When you're ready to vote, please message me directly (so everyone can vote anonymously) the campaigns, ALL FIVE, in the order you'd prefer to play. If none earn more than half of the vote, we'll knock the absolute lowest vote-earner out of the running. Anyone that chose that low vote-earner will have their 2nd choice votes applied, and I'll check for over half of the vote once more. We'll keep this process going until there is either a definitive winner or a definitive tie.

In the event of a tie, I'll roll two d20s (so sayeth the ancient scrolls) and we'll play the winner. Once a winner is decided, anyone that wants to drop the game can feel free to do so. We'll either continue on or find a fill-in.

NO WAIT NOT YET!

Before you vote, a few notes about the campaigns:

Military homebrew: Certain classes will be disallowed at the beginning of the game. It doesn't make a lot of sense for monks to enter the military, for instance, so the classes to be assigned at the end of the Basic Training chapter will be: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, Wizard. (The artificer will be the unit's smith, the bard is a unit historian, rogue is a scout, and so on. You don't have to choose a particular subclass, it's just a way to flavor the classes to fit). I'm open to a homebrew class, so long as we discuss it first and it can fit the theme of "You can be trained to do this job."

Desert homebrew: Same as the military campaign, homebrew classes will be allowed as long as I can check them out first. I'm debating adding in some 3rd party character options that would add desert-related flavor and flair.

Ninth World Setting: I need to glance at the book, but I don't believe there's anything new about this setting related to character choices. The big addition are items called "cyphers", which the DM is encouraged to give out like candy. They are one-time consumable items that do all sorts of interesting things, like letting you see through walls, shoot enemies to stun one of their limbs, and more. You can only hold a couple at a time, so you're incentivized to use them.

Nothing new for the Ogden's Gap one-shot or a pre-written module. At least, not until we figure out which one we'll play.

NOW we can vote. Discuss to your heart's content or send me your ranked five choices, please :D
Jul 15, 2021 11:19 am
My votes would be
1. Desert Homebrew Campaign
2. Mini-Campaign/One-shot
3. Pre-written Module
4. Ninth World (Numenara) Campaign
5. Military Homebrew Campaign

I would not be interested in the lev 0 Military Homebrew Campaign or the Ninth World (Numenara) Campaign. Especially since my IRL group just started a Numenara game.
Last edited July 15, 2021 11:20 am
Jul 15, 2021 11:20 am
Thanks for the invite! Glad to be here and work on a collaborative storytelling effort!
SJoyner72 sent a note to skeptical_stun
Jul 15, 2021 11:24 am
A quick edit:

If we push forward with the one-shot or a pre-written module, we'll skip the "Choose the races/build the world" bit. It'll either be done for us or somewhat unnecessary in a short game.
Jul 15, 2021 11:27 am
bowlofspinach sent a note to skeptical_stun
Jul 15, 2021 2:13 pm
zatatmando sent a note to skeptical_stun
Thanks for letting me join! It has been a while since I have been on GP and I am looking forward to playing here again!
Jul 15, 2021 6:49 pm
valdattaMadun sent a note to skeptical_stun
Glad to join, newer to 5e but excited to get into the weeds with this
Jul 15, 2021 8:38 pm
Wow, you guys are quick! We just need lenpelletier's input and we'll have ourselves a campaign chosen.

Len

Jul 15, 2021 9:11 pm
Len sent a note to skeptical_stun
Thanks for waiting!
Jul 15, 2021 9:41 pm
And with that, we have....a tie! After ranked choice removals were applied, we're at 3 for Ogden's Gap one-shot and 3 for the Desert homebrew. Which means....

Roll-off! I'm going to roll two d20's and whichever is higher will be the winner.

Rolls

Ogden's Gap one-shot - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Desert homebrew - (1d20)

(18) = 18

You do not have permission to post in this thread.