Data Pad 3 - A Deal With A Devil (Game Intro)

Jul 14, 2021 3:37 am
Star Wars - Riches Of The Dead

Rules:
WEG D6, Second Edition, Revised and Expanded Core Rules and Supporting Supplemental Books followed by the REUP

Era of Play:
2 months before the Battle of Yavin - The Rebel Alliance is in factions and ineffective. The Death Star has not made it's appearance on the galactic scene. The Empire is at the height of its power.

Introduction:

Special Agent Dolan Varn walked at a hurried pace out of Infirmary 3 in Imperial controlled Equator City, Rodia. As he approached his speeder car, he waved away his guard detail of Imperial Stormtroopers, retrieved his data pad, and sat quickly after his pilot greeted him and opened the security door. He had seen his own reflection in the duraglass of the speeder seconds ago and his suit collar was off by a few centimeters. Straightening it with one hand, and putting an earpiece in with another, he reviewed his interview with Dr. Ezla Rund, a man bound by Imperial Naval non-disclosure agreements to never talk about the "accident" he was involved in four years prior.

While Rund wasn’t crazy, he was having some serious problems with the feelings or thoughts of contaminating loved ones and other problems that didn’t allow him to function. He had even spoken about his fears that he was typing or saying out loud in crowds that he was going to kill the emperor. Per his treating physician, he had no plans to do so and was scared of these thoughts. These contamination and harm themes had caused him to develop compulsions so bad that he needed in-patient care. When admitted, he was on the verge of having a psychotic break.

As no health information is private if the patient is a subject of Imperial law, the discussion in therapy of his fears of killing the emperor initially was the issue that got ISB’s attention. Varn, being a special agent with ISB, read further into the matter and decided to investigate Rund’s associates personally. Three of his associates had suffered from similar distress and had committed suicide in front of loved ones. All had NDAs with similar work histories as Rund. Caldin Brux, Val Hendos, Julin Starwanderer; all dead and verified suicides.

His treating physician also suspected that something that Rund had researched, designed or was a part of was so terrifying and prolonged that the event or "thing" had altered his brain chemistry to the point where his subconscious was still trying to protect him four years after his return from the Outer Rim with non-disclosures in effect.

At the interview, Rund was reluctant to talk, even with an ISB waiver for disclosure of interagency exchange of information. He spoke of an outbreak in his research lab. He and his peers were puzzled at what happened. Their special project wasn’t a weapons program but medicine; regenerative medicine.

Varn listened to the recording of his interview with Rund for any valuable intelligence information. The doctor danced around questions, hemmed and hawed on providing much in the way of anything until Varn promised that he was prepared to go out to where this outbreak had taken place and make sure that the matter was contained. Rund begged him not to. Varn had asked him if he was sure if it was contained, and Rund who was having a very hard time with accepting uncertainty in almost all things, nodded "no".

Agent Varn listened to the recording again, and finally put together jumbled coordinates from the doctor on where the facility was located. He turned the recording up to hear better and confirm the coordinates, and was puzzled by what he heard. Rund had whispered, "Hunted by the dead, but rescued by a dead man." It was almost like a chant. He thought it was a nervous tic that the doctor was performing from the stress of the interview. He hadn’t heard Rund say it earlier because the treating physician kept telling Varn "no more questions." He understood that Dr. Holta was trying to protect her patient from any more stress, but he assured her that the questioning was necessary and he was being civil. She seemed to understand the hidden meaning in the comment concerning civility. ISB had been to show subjects what being uncivil was like, but that's wasn't his goal.

The ISB special agent listened again. This time, he began hearing more of what the doctor had said under his breath as he twisted and squirmed uncomfortably in the interview.

"Down the hall, here come the dead. Hide behind the blade that’s red."
"Seven months, hiding below. With the dead man, I must go."
"Saran and Mils fell from the heights, just to get away from the bites."

Was this madness? All the rhymes bouncing around in this guy’s head? What was happening? At the beginning of his day, Varn was looking forward to uncovering evidence to air the Navy’s dirty laundry to his agency, but this was now a serious concern. Was the outbreak contained? Who are the dead? Who is the dead man? Biting? What was real or imagined? Answers were needed, at the very least, he had to see if this outbreak was contained.

The comm in the seat chirped. His pilot asked if he was ready to depart for the shuttle to command.

"I don’t think so Jahn. I’ll be staying here for a time. Drop me down on the pad please and I’d like to make a secure call."

Varn realized if he reported his findings and concerns to the ISB, the first thing they’d do is file an inquiry with the Navy and then there would just be a bureaucratic dance of denials and disdain. This was going to need to be done quietly. As the speeder parked, Varn dialed a frequency. As his shuttle awaited, Varn remained in his seat as his comm screen came online. Varn was greeted by a smiling Devaronean face. Doban Brant was a merc broker. He was more known for discretion than dependability, but Varn knew he would accept and get the job done.

"You said you’d never call me again for a favor Special Agent man. Are you a desperate Imperial? Must be."
"Hello Doban. I’m more concerned than desperate, but my concern is great. My request of your services, or favor as you call it, may make you a rich man, so let’s help each other."
"What do you have for me?"
"Bug hunt."
"Big or small?"
"Don’t know yet."
"How much are we talking about, and is it going to be upfront?"
"It will be more than the job is worth and you’re crazy if you think I’m paying you up front."

The Devaronean’s smile widened at the jab before responding.

"Where can my associates and I find you Imperial?"
"Rodia. Equator City."
"I’m in the neighborhood. I’ll meet you in a day, sunset. Enough time to get some of my best people to hear what you have to say."
"I’m coming along on this one."
"That’s new...odd...you’re that concerned?"
"I am. Serious business. Serious money."
"We’ll be in Lot A of the Grand Canopy Hotel. Abandoned and wide open. Just us and you. No bucket head support. I mean none. You hear that okay with that earpiece in?"
"Loud and clear Doban. I’ll see you at sundown. "

Thread locked