To railroad or not to railroad?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 18, 2021 7:00 pm
I was about to ask this on Discord, but decided that the forum would be more appropriate.

I'd really like to read your opinions on the matter.
Is railroading good or bad? A necessary evil in some cases? A buzzkill for the players?

Which is and when for you? What's your reaction to railroading as a player? When do you railroad (if you do) as a GM?

Let's get forums to their original use. :)

Len

Jul 18, 2021 7:10 pm
I think word railroad is pretty ill-defined and means different things to different people.

I really like Matt Colville's definitions and his take on the subject. It is better worded than anything I could say, so I'll just link it here: https://youtu.be/KqIZytzzFKU
Jul 18, 2021 7:18 pm
Agreed. The term 'Railroad' has no real meaning. If people are objecting or feeling too constrained, that is bad, this has nothing to do with 'railroads'. If people are enjoying the game that is good. If they signed up to play a module/adventure/story they expect to follow that story wherever it leads.
Rollacoasters are railroaded, people seem to enjoy them.
Jul 18, 2021 7:20 pm
I agree with Len (without having clicked that link to see what Matt Colville says 😄)

The question is, what do you mean by railroading?
If you mean "Having a goal in mind and gently guiding your group towards it", no that's not bad.
If you mean "Forcing your players down one path no matter what they do", then yes, that's not great.

These kinds of discussions are tough because different people have different things in mind for terms like "railroading". It's a spectrum
Last edited July 18, 2021 7:20 pm
Jul 18, 2021 7:37 pm
Ok, here's what I was trying to get a pulse for; when making an adventure yourself for introducing players to a system and/or PbP, how much do you narrow things down to keep things short and simple?
I have it in mind like a video game tutorial level really, but I'd like your take on this, especially as GMs.
As for the term "railroading", it may have occurred in discussions and is the reason I wanted a broader conversation really.

Len

Jul 18, 2021 7:43 pm
PS - I love the idea of revitalizing forums for these kind of conversations :)
Jul 18, 2021 7:44 pm
I think the main thing is to let your players know what to expect. If you advertise a sandbox, your players will expect to be able to do whatever they want. If you advertise a more or less linear adventure, your players will be okay with more limited choices.
Jul 18, 2021 7:45 pm
lenpelletier says:
Hard agree. The forums should be used for all kinds of discussions and questions. Of course we're all here to play games but I love this community so any excuse to interact with them is welcome :)
Jul 18, 2021 7:46 pm
lenpelletier says:
It's literally the one thing I miss in GP - standard forum usage.
Jul 18, 2021 7:54 pm
As a new player I haven't encountered much ''railroading'' per se...but I think if it's used to teach or used to a limited extent and in a good way I guess it's fine...I feel it won't be good when for example a player decides to pull in the reigns themselves and steer the story to the detriment of the GM's plans...The reason that attracted me to D&D anyway is the myriad of options and stories you can experience other than be it turning into a static experience like some kinds of videogame...
Jul 18, 2021 7:55 pm
Railroading, if as a narrowing of scope to a predetermined path for the PCs to follow, in a tutorial is to be expected, I would think.

The hundred foot view might be: focus on what you're trying to teach. If it is a specific ruleset, sandbox or collaborative world building will only get in the way of that. If you are trying to teach world building, then you need to give them the space to make meaningful contributions so a railroad would hinder that. If you are trying to teach them to roleplay, then you need to encourage and reward interactions rather than a specific goal.
Jul 18, 2021 8:05 pm
lenpelletier says:
I think word railroad is pretty ill-defined and means different things to different people.

I really like Matt Colville's definitions and his take on the subject. It is better worded than anything I could say, so I'll just link it here: https://youtu.be/KqIZytzzFKU
While wholly unrelated to the topic of the thread, I just followed your link to watch this gentleman's video (someone whom I have never heard of) and really enjoyed both his concept and views on these games as well as his means of communication. Thanks for shining a light on an interesting and relevant source of information and perspective!

(Rest of the Thread: carry on... )

Len

Jul 18, 2021 9:09 pm
Demagor says:
While wholly unrelated to the topic of the thread, I just followed your link to watch this gentleman's video (someone whom I have never heard of) and really enjoyed both his concept and views on these games as well as his means of communication. Thanks for shining a light on an interesting and relevant source of information and perspective!
Glad to hear it! Just keep right on watching his Running the Game series, you won't be disappointed.
Jul 18, 2021 9:16 pm
I do not like to have it so that my players have no choice of how to address a given challenge. I do not like to have story lines that do not or cannot change depending on how the players address a given problem.

I do like to run games where the players create characters specifically for a given premise, and I do like to get buy in from players into a given premise, I do like to have a social contract where the signatories/group agree that the point of the game is not that the characters can go anywhere and do anything at any time, but rather to make the story that is "on the table" into the best story possible, as a group.

The first, IMO, is railroading.

The second, IMO, is not. Unless it starts doing things from the first.
Last edited July 18, 2021 9:17 pm
Jul 19, 2021 1:31 am
lenpelletier says:

Yeah I also really liked the way Matt cleared up those definitions. Discussions often get bogged down by participants operating under differing definitions of terms.
Jul 19, 2021 4:41 am
I generally like Colville's takes on this kind of thing, and while I didn't watch the whole bit this seems to be no exception. Bowl, you said you didn't click the link, but basically he's saying railroading is...
Quote:
If you mean "Forcing your players down one path no matter what they do", then yes, that's not great.
...that. And I've actually seen a lot of setups for that over the years in written modules. Obviously not great, and if you're not an experienced GM, you might not know that working with the players and their ideas is actually a good thing, vs. strictly following the written word. The best OSR modules have great takes on this where problems are defined, not solutions. Situations are outlined, rather than encounters detailed.

To stir a bit more discussion, two items:

1. I'm not so sure that Colville's statement that "linear" adventures aren't railroads really holds up, and

2. CoC and Delta Green adventures are, I think, the gold standard for how published modules really don't have to be railroads. There's a thing that's happened, there's a mystery, there are locations, there are factions / opposition -- but the players are 100% in control of where they go, when they go, and what they do when they get there. It's up them them to put it all together, in their own way. Now of course as I'm writing this I'm remembering some terribly designed CoC mysteries where "progress" can stop dead in its tracks unless the PCs find or do the specific thing. It's poor adventure design, which eventually resulted in mystery games like Gumshoe and Trail of Cthulhu figuring out better ways to handle those critical clue-finding moments.

Back to #1, a question for the D&D and PF players out there. How railroady are the big adventure paths or hardcover campaigns for those games? Are they sandboxy and open or linear? Can the adventure 'progression' be halted by the PCs missing something, or not visiting the right place or doing the right thing? I've often wondered about games that use battle maps, too -- it kind of implicitly indicates that the GM has prepared a specific thing and bent the narrative that way. What happens when you take the player input on-board and potentially end up with a fight or encounter breaking out in some location you're not prepped for in terms of the battle map, tokens, etc.?

Last point: railroads aren't always bad. Some players actually prefer them. They want to be on that rollercoaster that vagueGM mentioned, they want to have content brought to them. Not how I like to play (or run), but it's definitely a thing. Hard framing can also be a very useful tool when there's a limited amount of time to play -- say, at a con or other short-form game.
Jul 19, 2021 5:30 am
Harrigan says:
Last point: railroads aren't always bad. Some players actually prefer them. They want to be on that rollercoaster that vagueGM mentioned, they want to have content brought to them. Not how I like to play (or run), but it's definitely a thing. Hard framing can also be a very useful tool when there's a limited amount of time to play -- say, at a con or other short-form game.
I think this is important to note. If a game is going to have a great story with a beginning, middle, and end, it needs to be a railroad in at least some sense. Even if players choose where to go and when to go there, it's the DM moving the story in front of where they end up so it progresses properly.

It should also be mentioned that one-shots are almost always railroads, and necessarily so. If I'm running A Wild Sheep Chase (a great beginner's one-shot), and one of my players says "Nah, forget all that, I'm going to go find a big city and meet the King-or-whatever", as a DM I'd probably gently shut the idea down. That's not what the one-shot is there to do, and past the dotted line at the edge of the map, it's just a giant blank space with nothing there.
Jul 19, 2021 5:52 am
Oneshots can be completely player-led as well. They don't have to be railroads or linear. The GM needs to improv and think on their feet, and the 'story' may not be as sophisticated as a pre-planned one, and the players can not be told what they are signing up for beforehand, but the most most of my oneshots have is a starting point, the rest comes based on the the players' choices.
It helps to get the players to say --as soon as possible-- what they want to achieve. Then if one later says 'nah, forget it... go meet the king' that can be shut down... unless everyone agrees.
The GM can be open about things, maybe saying "I don't have anything interesting at the king's place. No point going there, let's skip it." to keep things moving.
Jul 19, 2021 6:10 am
I find room for all these styles in my play -- we've been doing a lot of short-form stuff lately live. I've run a tightly scripted Fate one-shot where I planned out the three specific scenes (Egypt, New York City, on an airship headed into the Himalayas), and I've also been part of a The Sprawl one-shot where -all- the caper-type content was developed at the table in real-time, based on the questions the (PbtA) game has the players and GM answer at the start of the session. Also ran Mork Borg in classic (rail-roady) fashion for a one-shot, and White Lies (an OSR-powered spy game) in a much more open-ended fashion where I set up an overall villainous plot and then just let the agents loose on trying to figure out different ways to stop it.

Many ways to play!

This is a place where system can matter tremendously, as a lot of more modern indie and small press games have specific rules and systems in place for the GM and the whole table to operate in a more seat-of-the-pants fashion. I really like games like Blades in the Dark, where the players dictate the adventure directly, but there are limited options on the table and a whole 'playset' of existing neighborhoods, gangs, personalities and the like at the GM's fingertips to help with the emergent gameplay.
Jul 19, 2021 6:26 am
Harrigan says:

a question for the D&D and PF players out there. How railroady are the big adventure paths or hardcover campaigns for those games?
I can only speak about WotC 5e adventures.

It depends on the book, but most of them now are like Rime of the Frostmaiden which starts as an open world (if the world is defined as the west region north of the Spine of the World), but sooner or later the characters might want to deal with the root of the problem. So it's very "here are a bunch of things in this region - you choose" e.g. Frostmaiden, Strahd, both Phandalin starters. Even Saltmarsh (which is a collection of adventures) has other stuff in the region to be explored.

If the players REALLY wanted to go totally open-world, and they're playing in the Forgotten Realms, and in the years 1479DR - 1495DR, then the DM has a whole bunch of resources and adventures that are happening in the world (here the world is defined as a narrow strip of Sword Coast).

https://i.imgur.com/6b8EDMX.jpg

There's also a bunch of supporting AL stuff. FR's Sword Coast has a ridiculous number of adventures.

If they're not on the Sword Coast, well... here be dragons (actually, here might be dragons, or not, dunno - that's the DM's problem). There are some books for other regions, but most DMs would just repurpose other stuff. So if they want to explore the underdark, then just take some bits from Out of the Abyss or OotA AL.

But I've rarely seen players totally abandon the book they're playing to investigate problems in a whole different adventure - but if it happens then the DM has resources. But most heroes seem to want to deal with the problem in front of them.
Harrigan says:

Can the adventure 'progression' be halted by the PCs missing something, or not visiting the right place or doing the right thing?
Not really, although if it happened then most DMs would design around it. The main problem is characters tackling problems that they don't have the levels for. The better adventures give guidance on changing the threats based on the character level (or how to avoid a TPK if the level 3s decide to face Strahd).
Harrigan says:

What happens when you take the player input on-board and potentially end up with a fight or encounter breaking out in some location you're not prepped for in terms of the battle map, tokens, etc.?
It happens all the time. PBP - You either download or create a map - with tools like Dungeon Draft, it's pretty quickly done. IRL - you break out the whiteboard pens and a grid.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.