Import a character sheet from DnD Beyond?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 23, 2021 1:17 pm
Hello coding geniuses. Is it possible to import a character created in DnD Beyond to GP?
Jul 23, 2021 1:26 pm
Properly yes
Properly not going to happen in any near future
Jul 23, 2021 1:32 pm
I would need to look at how DnD Beyond stores char info to even guess. Does it have an export method?
Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm
https://i.imgur.com/z5rZXpL.png
Export to PDF/Sharable link
Last edited July 23, 2021 4:18 pm
Jul 23, 2021 7:21 pm
There is a json file you can use.

Just use this link, and add the number that is found in the URL for the character at the end:

https://character-service.dndbeyond.com/character/v3/character/[[character id]]
Jul 23, 2021 7:46 pm
Out of curiosity, what's the attraction to using DDB for a character sheet? I found it frustrating, especially because you have to pay for books to have the ability to put certain information on the sheet. You can do custom stuff, but I remember it being pretty painful.
Jul 23, 2021 8:30 pm
skeptical_stun says:
Out of curiosity, what's the attraction to using DDB for a character sheet? I found it frustrating, especially because you have to pay for books to have the ability to put certain information on the sheet. You can do custom stuff, but I remember it being pretty painful.
It has a neat wizard for character creation that is very useful for new players.

The GP sheet misses stuff out (e.g extra bonuses to saves), so sometimes GP is just wrong.

No more copying/pasting of spells.

Easier to change things like prepared spells.

If your DM has the books then they can share them (legally!).
Jul 23, 2021 8:34 pm
skeptical_stun says:
I think the biggest drawbacks are the learning curve aspect of using DNDBeyond. I guess I also wish that there was more party integration between DDB character sheets within a party (i.e. if I cast a healing spell, I would like the app to affect a party member, such that those effects apply to that person's character sheet. I think also with buff/debuff spells applying to character sheets of my companions, or creatures that the DM adds to the encounter tracker).
Jul 23, 2021 8:35 pm
HeroAmongMen says:
There is a json file you can use.

Just use this link, and add the number that is found in the URL for the character at the end:

https://character-service.dndbeyond.com/character/v3/character/[[character id]]
Yeah - but it’s a bear to parse. Create a character then see if you can find all their stats, skills and current features from that json.

Even simple things like ability scores are scattered about like a mad man’s crap. I wish it were otherwise - I’ve looked at this import twice before abandoning it.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.