New Masters of the Universe on Netflix?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 24, 2021 9:22 pm
I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m wondering if anybody else has and what their overall impressions were. Is it worth watching? Thanks.
Jul 24, 2021 9:38 pm
The story is strange. He-man basically isn't in it. The story itself is okay, seems better written than the original cartoon. They do seem to be trying to tie up unresolved plot threads of the non-titular characters.

That being said, we got about half way through it and decided to rewatch all the MCU movies in order. So, okay but not great.
Jul 24, 2021 10:21 pm
It was a very competently put together cartoon with a good mix of nostalgia and new stuff.

The voice cast is mostly amazing. Lena Heady easily steals the entire show as Evil-Lyn.
Mer-Man and Tri-Klops are actually interesting and threatening.
Skeletor has graduated to actual threat without losing his sense of whimsy.

Bear McCreary's music is as great as usual.

Stuff that I'm less enthusiastic about:
I feel the story is way too fast-paced. This was 5 episodes, that seem to cover at least 8 episodes worth of story, and the effect of the breakneck rollercoaster speed is lost because the season has been cut in half, as Netflix likes to do with animation, but that is not something that can be blamed on the show.
I'm not a fan of the animation style. While this is 100% subjective, I find it very stiff, with character models that usually don't emote a lot, and don't have much of a range in facial expression or body language.

I don't want to come off as too negative, episode 4 was truly outstanding. And this was only half of a 10-episode season that the creators probably didn't intend to have split in two, so it has room to grow.

It doesn't quite measure up to the first five episodes of She-Ra & The Princesses Of Power to me, but it's still very good.

ETA:
Adam/He-Man are in every episode, and while Teela is put into the main protagonist role for most of this, Adam is the one that actually gets the most character development, and regardless of screentime, his presence is felt in practically every scene.
But this is not a show that is ever going to be about He-Man, because He-Man is treated more or less as Adam's supersuit. The show very much goes with Adam being the person this is all about, and He-Man is just what he does.
Last edited July 24, 2021 10:30 pm
Jul 24, 2021 11:33 pm
I saw the first episode and it was pretty mixed. I liked the art style, the story was unexpectedly dark at the end, and the voice acting was great. For negatives, the humor did not work for me and just seemed forced, and the pace was so fast and the plot unfolds too quickly with little explanation.
Jul 24, 2021 11:47 pm
Yeah, the show does seem to expect its audience to have a working knowledge of the 40 year old Filmation version. Ardra is there as the Watson, the newcomer who people have to explain things to, but that doesn't really work half of the time.

And that carries through in its characterisation of side or even main characters.
For instance, you're expected to already care about Duncan because he was great in the old show, little effort is made to make you give a damn about him if you don't already.
Jul 25, 2021 1:33 am
Kevin Smith's not very ENDEARING too...
Jul 25, 2021 2:40 am
Oh, you mean Teela and the mistresses of the Universe?
Jul 25, 2021 4:20 am
mormegil says:
I had never heard of Clownfish TV and I miss my ignorance already lol. Great name for a channel though.
Jul 25, 2021 5:20 am
mormegil says:
Please don't link to a pair of reactionairy trolls who have never made a video that isn't just them baselessly spewing hatred and bile into a mike without warning.
Jul 25, 2021 1:16 pm
Carabas says:
mormegil says:
Please don't link to a pair of reactionairy trolls who have never made a video that isn't just them baselessly spewing hatred and bile into a mike without warning.
baselessly spewing hatred and bile

Yeah even though they were the ones who get dragged through the mud by Kevin ''totally a fan of He-Man'' Smith?

https://i.imgur.com/XT60kNX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RiHqgfD.jpg

Ahem

https://i.imgur.com/Neuddn4.jpg

Also to anyone disappointed in the recent show, I suggest you watch the 2002-2004 He-Man and the Masters of the Universe show instead:

https://i.imgur.com/2kIn4bW.jpg

Or this one, Primal by Gendy tartakovsky

https://i.imgur.com/W1ZHO79.jpg
Last edited July 25, 2021 6:18 pm
Jul 25, 2021 1:37 pm
Let's keep the conversation civil please. If you didn't enjoy the Netflix show, or the offered YouTube channel, it's often more productive to try and see things through other eyes than assuming the worst behind their words.
Jul 25, 2021 2:35 pm
**sigh**

Sadly, too often these days, having a different opinion is equated with spewing hatred and bile...

Anyways, I think I'm going to bow out here, it's going to be one of those threads again...
Jul 25, 2021 8:39 pm
It seems like there’s some strong opinions about the show; some really like it and others don’t. Thank you everyone for your opinions. I can empathize with everyone who’s watched it because they all want it it to be good, but can’t always agree on what that is.

I grew up with the Filmation series and enjoyed the series that came out around 2002 as well. Around 12 years ago, I took a stab at making a Masters of the Universe D6 game, and I may start working on that again.

Thanks again everyone.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.