Gen Con 2016

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 18, 2016 8:27 pm
If you're like me you used vulgar language and hand gestures at your computer due to getting or not getting what was on your wishlist for Gen Con (I rolled a partial success). Regardless I think I'll have fun. With 76 days left TechPoint announced their 2nd annual League of Xtraordinary Programmers party which having gone last year was a networking party. Got to talk with several tech companies and the guys who run Indy Comicon. Anyone else thinking of going?
Last edited May 18, 2016 8:27 pm
May 18, 2016 8:41 pm
Hm, seems interesting... given what I'm trying to get out of GP, I wonder if skipping a game (or asking GenCon to cancel the ticket?) would be worth this. I'm not too concerned with networking, but I am a techie.

On a GenCon note, I was thinking of doing our GP meetup Friday if people were still interested.
May 18, 2016 8:42 pm
damn you people who have free time and money!
May 19, 2016 1:32 am
@ Keleth

If you got through the site you can get a system credit for the full price I believe if done through the site.

@ Darthoingoboingo

Well I plan this out usually in Late August and budget for the following year. Anything you wanted to know?
May 19, 2016 7:33 pm
I should figure out what exactly this event is and if I'll get something out of it. I'm kinda leaning to it will... thoughts based on experience Remnant?
May 20, 2016 12:54 pm
Last year it was at the Chase Tower, local tech companies letting people know about what they do and looking for people curious about moving to Indy. Got to learn about what local tech was doing in Indy and I got a lot of business cards (I was looking for a job last year, interviewed with two ended up taking a job locally where I'm living now instead). So last year was a bit more stressful. That said it's a ways into Gen Con and it was fun. R2-D2 droid hitting on girls I thought was hilarious.

Hors d'oeuvre were served. There was an automated mini pizza oven with a server so no one horks the machine, 3D printing company that worked in metals and had promo items in plastic. There were a few prizes also like a flying drone, six pack of local artisan beer, etc. It was fun and gave me piece of mind.

I think I was a little over dressed in jeans, dresshirt and a vest, but I was looking for a job. No idea really who will be there this year or what the setup will be besides the description.
May 20, 2016 12:59 pm
Interesting. I certainly wouldn't be going to find a job, and if it's only tangentially connected to gaming, not sure it'd pay off. Then again, networking never hurts...
May 20, 2016 2:33 pm
It's two hours you could be sleeping, gaming, eating, or drinking. This year I'm crossing off a lot of the try X event party/gathering from my bucket list.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.