Chapter 1 - The Mammoth

load previous
Sep 9, 2021 5:20 pm
OOC:
Miss. I must Pay the Price.
[ +- ] Pay the Price
The obvious penalty is Osck takes a hit. Endure Harm requires I take -1 health and then roll...
[ +- ] Harm
The spider rapidly thrust it's fangs down into my back, over and over at least a dozen times in half as many seconds. The thing weighs as much as a horse and I gasped for breath as I could feel my ribs on the verge of cracking.

[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Endure Harm, +heart (3) - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+3)

1d10 : (7) = 7

1d10 : (6) = 6

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Sep 10, 2021 3:40 pm
OOC:
Another miss! I suffer -1 momentum.
[ +- ] Status
Sep 10, 2021 3:53 pm
With only a second or two of delay, the hidden hunters throw off their hides and charge the harrow spider.
OOC:
[ +- ] Clash
Rolling +iron

Rolls

Clash, +iron (2) - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+2)

1d10 : (7) = 7

1d10 : (10) = 10

1d6+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Sep 10, 2021 3:53 pm
OOC:
Wow, another miss! Osck simply cannot catch a break.
Sep 14, 2021 7:04 am
The spider clamps down on its prize with two legs and uses another pair to direct growing layers of webbing. Even while it works on enwebbing Osck, it spins and flails its remaining legs about, slapping aside spear points.
OOC:

Osck is battered around by the spider and takes more damage. Suffering -1 health and then rolling +health to endure harm.
[ +- ] Pay the Price
[ +- ] Harm
[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Endure harm, +health (3) - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+3)

1d10 : (3) = 3

1d6+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Sep 14, 2021 7:06 am
OOC:
strong hit! Osck will "Embrace the pain: Take +1 momentum."
The fight continues! Rolling clash again.

Rolls

Clash +iron (2) - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+2)

1d10 : (3) = 3

1d10 : (4) = 4

1d6+2 : (4) + 2 = 6

Sep 14, 2021 7:11 am
OOC:
Quote:
On a strong hit, inflict your harm and choose one. You have the initiative.
• You bolster your position: Take +1 momentum.
• You find an opening: Inflict +1 harm.
Osck is going to focus on getting away from the spider while the rest of the hunters will be focusing on killing the thing. I think it is a 50/50 on whether Osck's position is improved or the spider is hurt, so rolling low for +1 momentum, high for +1 harm.

Rolls

momentum or harm? - (1d100)

(80) = 80

Sep 14, 2021 7:20 am
The harrow spider whirls and sways, knocking aside spears with ease. Instinctively, it continues to wrap Osck in layers of silk thread, lifting the man and rotating him like a spindle. As he is lifted from the ground slightly, Osck regains his grip on his spear and rotates it. The head slices deeply into the carapace between two legs, driven by the spider's own force as it turns Osck.
OOC:
The fight continues! Now Osck has initiative. The hunters immediately seek to capitalize on the spider's injury.
[ +- ] Strike
Rolling +iron
[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Strike +iron (2) - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+2)

1d10 : (10) = 10

1d6+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Sep 14, 2021 7:34 am
The spider lurches to one side, away from the injurious spear, managing to knock aside three of the hunters as it does so. With Osck in tow, it now attempts to run into the darkness. Osck intuitively understands what is happening and swings his spear out in a wide arc from under the spider, attempting to trip up the beast.
OOC:
The spider wouldn't want to stick around and fight off the entire group while it eats. It would want to run away, especially now that it has wrapped Osck in enough silk to keep a hold of him. Not so much that Osck is hopelessly trapped tho, so hopefully we can make it out of this!
This sounds like a face danger move. Osck is using force to counter the spider, so this will be a +iron roll.
[ +- ] Face Danger

Rolls

Face danger +iron (2) - (2d10, 1d6+2)

2d10 : (87) = 15

1d6+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Sep 14, 2021 7:42 am
Osck swings hard, knocking two legs out from under the spider, causing it to stumble. As it stumbles, it scrapes Osck hard against the ground, concussing him. The hunters regain on the spider and attack it anew. The spider strikes out at them.
OOC:
The spider has been halted in its tracks, but Osck is injured. -1 health for the weak hit. Another Clash is inbound!
^
[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Clash +iron (2) - (2d10, 1d6+2)

2d10 : (210) = 12

1d6+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

Sep 14, 2021 8:11 am
OOC:
Another weak hit! Osck will have to Pay the price but at least we have made progress against the spider. Osck is pretty beat up at this point, he is going to start looking to save himself. I think that the hunters would not fully realize how battered Osck is and would continue to believe that the best thing to do is to simply attack the spider until it is dead. The spider just wants out at this point. Possibly the worst that could happen is the spider gets away. I could see a few other options tho, so going to ask the oracle.
[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Ask the Oracle (pay the price) - (1d100)

(69) = 69

Sep 14, 2021 8:15 am
OOC:
It is stressful Osck is discouraged to a degree by their lack of immediate success. He takes -1 spirit and must roll +spirit (5)
[ +- ] Endure Stress

Rolls

Endure stress +spirit (5) - (2d10, 1d6+5)

2d10 : (48) = 12

1d6+5 : (2) + 5 = 7

Sep 14, 2021 8:20 am
OOC:
Weak hit - Osck will press on.
The spider drops Osck to the ground and now attempts to climb a nearby tree. Webbing is now being sprayed like a fan, blanketing all the attacking hunters and hampering their attempts to strike.
OOC:
Spider has the initiative still. I know what the hunters are doing and what the spider is doing. but what is Osck doing. I'll sleep on it...
^
[ +- ] Status
Sep 15, 2021 5:52 am
Just now realizing that I have not been considering my assets!
Sep 15, 2021 6:29 am
OOC:
It is time to turn the tide.
Osck lay on the ground beneath the spider, kicking at the web-covered hide blankets and rolling out and away from them. He rolls to one side and then another, free from the web with surprisingly little effort. Gasping, lying on the ground, Osck focuses for the slightest moment of time on the spinneretts, shifting left and right, spraying out a multitude of fine silk streams like a wide fan. The technique works - straining to look "up", he sees his fellow hunters already struggling against the heavy layers of gossamer.

Osck rolls over. 🎶In the darkness we will meet again🎶
He draws in his legs. 🎶Me the one you hate🎶
Pulling at the haft, he regains his spear. 🎶You whom have died by my blade🎶
Then rocks back on to his feet with spear straddled under him. 🎶Then you will have me🎶
"BUT ONLY THEN!" Osck heaves upward, throwing his back against the spider to disrupt it, even as he holds his spear close to the blade and thrusts it up and behind his head, seeking to pierce the heart of the beast.
OOC:
Now that sounds like a turn the tide with a strikemove. Osck has dropped the heavy hide blankets that were protecting him and now is putting himself right in the middle of the spider's grasp. As he prepares himself, he is singing a prayer, invoking the magic of his keen asset. If he can hit, he might be able to end it here and now.
[ +- ] Turn the Tide
[ +- ] Strike
[ +- ] Ritual - KEEN
[ +- ] Keen

Rolls

Turn the Tide + Strike, + iron(2) + 1 - (2d10, 1d6+3)

2d10 : (46) = 10

Keen +heart (3) - (2d10, 1d6+3)

2d10 : (109) = 19

1d6+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Sep 15, 2021 7:08 am
OOC:
That would be a miss, but I will burn momentum to turn it into a weak hit. My momentum is currently +5, which will beat the d10 roll of 4. So that roll is cancelled and the miss is shifted to a weak hit. Good things can happen! My momentum reset is currently +2, so after burning momentum, I now have only +2 momentum.

Note that when burning momentum, it doesn't matter how high your momentum is, you burn all of it down to your reset level.

Thanks to turn the tide, we then add +1 momentum for the hit, bringing it up to +3.

Our harm against this troublesome ranked opponent is 3, so we mark the three progress.

The spider gets initiative back again.

And then finally, we deal with the miss for keen. The asset doesn't clearly state what should be done about a miss. I think I might not be executing that move as I should. I think taking 2 stress sounds about right. Now I need to roll for Endure stress
OOC:
Endure stress was a miss! Reducing momentum down. We are back at +2 again.
^
[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Endure stress +heart (3) - (2d10, 1d6+3)

2d10 : (910) = 19

Sep 17, 2021 8:05 am
Osck slams his spear into the spider and is rewarded with a chittering cough as chitin cracks. The beast jerks and lurches up the tree, twisting around the trunk and pulling Osck to the side and onto his knees before the spear releases from the wound.

It's getting away!, Setter cried, stumbling as he tried to react to the sudden movement of the spider.

Throwing caution to the wind, Osck leaps forward, reaching for a leg - if he could only grab onto a leg, he might keep it from climbing away!
OOC:
Not the best move a guy can make when fighting a spider near as big as a horse! Rolling face danger +edge

Rolls

Face danger, +edge(1) - (2d10, 1d6+1)

2d10 : (86) = 14

1d6+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

Sep 21, 2021 6:25 am
OOC:
Yay! Another miss. Time to Pay the Price. I am going to say 50/50 the spider gets away. If I roll low, then I'll roll on the pay the price table to determine what happens next.

Rsult is "it wasts resources"
The spider scrambles up the tree, Osck grasping feebly for it. Spears are thrown, each glancing off the carapace, but more than a few get caught up in the webbing the beast still continues to spray wildly like a fan, blanketing the area. The clatter of the weapons can be heard trailing behind the spider as it makes its way up the tree, towing the weapons along with it. As best as anyone can tell in the darkness, the spears are stuck a good 80 to 100 feet up, but might as well be lost entirely.
OOC:
-1 supply
^
[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Pay the Price, Spider gets away? 51+ - (1d100)

(16) = 16

Pay the Price, what happens? - (1d100)

(89) = 89

Sep 22, 2021 3:41 pm
The hunting group stands below the tree, eyes looking up in vain for any more signs of the beast. Spears silently whirl front to back, side to side anticipating another attack.

Ha ha ha haaaa!, old Verin bursts out, breaking the tension. I ain't never seen a man thrown around quite like a child's plaything! Osck, next time we should fight it instead of playacting at it! The old brute slaps Osck on the back and begins walking away, laughing all the more.

Pffh, Osck dismisses the comment while rubbing at his bruised ribs.

Frustrated at the lack of success, the group heads back to the encampment to rest and revise their plan.
OOC:
Making the Sojourn move to recover.

Rolls

Sojourn +heart(3) - (2d10, 1d6+3)

2d10 : (28) = 10

1d6+3 : (2) + 3 = 5

Sep 23, 2021 5:14 am
OOC:
Weak hit. I can pick one. My narrative described rest and plan, so that sounds like heal or momentum. I'll take the +2 momentum. I can press my luck and try again for an addtional +... going for it.

Weak hit, that is an additional +1 momentum for a total of +5 momentum now
^
[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Sojourn bonus, +heart - (2d10, 1d6+3)

2d10 : (41) = 5

You do not have permission to post in this thread.