Chapter 1 - The Mammoth

Sep 2, 2021 8:05 am
The Vasdel won't have it. You slay a mammoth and they will be right back here that very night, raiding Blue Rock! Ulrich complained, trying to hide the fear in his voice with volume.

Osck turns slowly as he speaks, looking each of the twelve in their eyes. My spear is in my hand, this will be done. The Burseddi stores are near enough to be empty. My family will not live to see the melt. I see the way each of you pull your cloak about you, holding back the chill - Your stores are as barren as mine! I've been in forest and to the hills every day - there is no game. The mammoths are our only choice now. I will go. This will be done.

There is a murmuring of acceptance among the men and women of the twelve. Here in the great hall of Blue Village, the twelve families convene when called upon to decide on matters. Today they listen to Osck Burseddi, whom has vowed to slay a mammoth to restock the pantries of the village. A few men have already agreed to hunt with Osck.

The Vasdel are small tribe of nomads that follow the herd of mammoths. The majority of their lively hood comes from the mammoths, so they are highly protective of the creatures, rarely allowing any to hunt the beasts save for themselves.

We are but a few, a small band that has little chance to bring down a mammoth. One of these creatures will see this entire village through to the melt. Yet you cower for fear of the Vasdel? Send me with items to barter! Surely I can negotiate for one mammoth. Bring me your spare long knives, rope, axes, furs, spears, arrows, The Vasdel covet these things we have. I will make this trade and return with flesh.

Osck is set on hunting the mammoth. He is working to Compel the families to supply him with additional fighters as well as goods to trade to the Vasdel.
[ +- ] Compel
I think Osck is doing his best to convince the group, so I will roll +heart and add +1 for the bond they all share to Blue Rock village.

Rolls

Compel +Heart+1 - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+4)

1d10 : (5) = 5

1d10 : (7) = 7

1d6+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

Sep 2, 2021 8:09 am
Strong hit! Osck is joined by half a dozen more men and a significant pile of goods that the Vasdel should find enticing.

Since this is a pretty major help to Osck, both in terms of opening up options to trade as well as allies in the fight, I'm going to mark a progress for the mammoth hunt. (I've rated the quest as Fromidable, so I fill in one full box - the same as marking 4 ticks.
Sep 2, 2021 4:05 pm
Well armed and fairly supplied, Burseddi sets out, leading the men of Blue Rock. Each pull their own sledge with meager provisions for a few days. Really, the hope is to return with each sledge heavy with meat. The herd is always on the move, traveling tens of miles a day. The group pushes hard to reach the herd as quickly as possible.
OOC:
Osck is leading the group through hazardous terrain. They are pushing hard and moving fast, so there is some risk of mistakes. This sounds like the right time to take the Undertake a Journey move.
[ +- ] Undertake A Journey
Given that the group is familiar with the terrain and winter travel, I'm rating this as Troublesome. For the initial roll I roll +wits and add +1 for the bond with the village. After that it will be only +wits
[ +- ] Tracking the herd

Rolls

Setting out - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+3)

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Sep 2, 2021 4:11 pm
OOC:
A miss!! How about that for the start of a journey!

On a miss, I take the move Pay the Price
[ +- ] Pay the Price
Many different things could happen. I will roll on the table...

Rolls

Pay the price - (1d100)

(30) = 30

Sep 2, 2021 4:41 pm
Following along the contours of the iced-over river, the natural winter road made travel the easiest and quickest way up into the hills where the mammoth herd was last seen. Osck could feel the sweat beginning to bead at the edge of his brow.

I'm pushing too hard, he admonished himself silently. It would be no good to catch cold from being wet with sweat.

Looking back at the rest of the group he could see the rest were pushing as hard as he. At least he wasn't the only one driven by nerves. Were they really doing this? Hunting a mammoth? Those creatures were as tall as two men and casually pushed trees down when the branches were too high even for them. And they could run! Not even Setter, the youngest and fastest of the group could hope to outrun such a beast. They would have to plan well and be caref...

Cut off in mid thought, Osck stumbles and falls as his sledge catches on something under the snow and comes to a halt instantly.

Not looking where I was going, damn!

The light dusting of snow shakes loose of the fallen tree's needles. It clearly had fallen recently, smashing down into the river. Even before Osck could right himself he heard it - the sound of running water. The ice had not reformed fully around the tree! Quickly, he scrambles forward and pushes on the sledge, meaning to get it back from the thin ice around the tree. Instead of moving back, it lists, one runner crunching down several inches.

Osck stands and hefts the rope, trying to pull the sledge back up, but is knocked back as one foot gives way to the ice under him. A loud crack sounds and the sledge tilts further, now beginning to sink fully nose down through the ice. Water laps and splashes against it. The current here is strong and quickens the demise of the sledge.

Crying out, Osck scrambles on his belly and grabs at the ropes and hides binding the goods. This is nearly everything intended for trade! Ropes pop and thwack as the sledge inexorably is pulled under and Osck's fingers lose hold after hold. After just a few moments it is gone. Everyone is silent. They can hear the ice being scraped from underneath as the sledge is carried along with the current under the snow and ice.
OOC:

This was a miss, so I don't mark any progress on the journey.
[ +- ] Tracking the herd
Sep 2, 2021 5:25 pm
The journey continues...

Rolls

Journey - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+2)

1d10 : (4) = 4

1d10 : (8) = 8

1d6+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Sep 2, 2021 5:30 pm
OOC:
Weak hit. I mark progress, but lose supply.
[ +- ] Tracking the herd
With the Burseddi share of rations lost along with the trade goods, everyone feels the burden. Already limited their supplies are stretched just a bit further. The group pushes on with renewed vigor after finding a trail left by the herd's passage through the forest perhaps a day or two ago.
OOC:
Rolling again for the next milestone of the journey.

Rolls

Journey - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+2)

1d10 : (3) = 3

1d10 : (1) = 1

1d6+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

Sep 4, 2021 8:14 am
Strong Hit. I mark progress and then choose
Quote:
•You make good use of your resources: Mark progress.
• You move at speed: Mark progress and take +1 momentum, but suffer -1 supply.
Simply marking progress is nice and easy, mechanically. Fictionally, I think, that after the loss of the trade goods sledge, the group would be more careful and not press forward so hard. On the other hand, the mechanics of increasing momentum seems prudent - building the momentum allows effective use of Burning Momentum - overruling the dice and making a hit. This goes along with the fiction as well since the group wants to push as quickly as possible to avoid having even further distances to travel to catch up to the moving herd. I will take this as a 50/50 and Ask the Oracle to see which way the fiction goes. Low for safer progress, High for gain in momentum.

Rolls

Slow and steady or press forward 50/50 - (1d100)

(75) = 75

Sep 4, 2021 8:26 am
The loss of the trade goods was disheartening. However, we did not bemoan our fate. These are the Iron lands, and we are forged of iron. We moved on, quickly in the direction of the herd to find a new advantage to press. Just as we stopped to rest for the night, sharp eyed Tallus spotted the Vasdel camp not too far off in the distance. We will be able to meet with them in the morning.
OOC:
Marking 3 progress, +1 momentum, -1 supply
[ +- ] Tracking the herd
Sep 4, 2021 8:31 am
OOC:
Rolling for the next milestone in the journey.

Rolls

Journey +wits (2) - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+2)

1d6+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Sep 6, 2021 8:25 am
We broke camp before sun rise and headed for the Vasdel camp. The discussion amongst the men as we humped was concerning just what our best offer could be, considering we had no real goods for trade. In the end we decided to come forward with our case - this or starvation - and offer them the hide and ivory and bones. The flesh is all we would take.
OOC:

I've advanced the journey 3 ticks, as getting to the head of the Vasdel tribe was straightforward.
Now I make the compel to see just how hard of a bargain the Vasdel drive.
[ +- ] Undertake A Journey
[ +- ] Compel
[ +- ] Tracking the herd

Rolls

Compel, +heart - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+3)

1d10 : (2) = 2

1d10 : (9) = 9

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Sep 6, 2021 8:28 am
That was a weak hit. Asking the oracle to see what else it is they want.

Result: Outsiders rejected

This is interesting. Are they rejecting the Blue Rock people? Doesn't really match with they also allowing us to take a mammoth. And if it was just saying the Blue Rock people could not take a mammoth again, that would be pretty meaningless to the story right now. Kinda boring.

Maybe there is a third party? Are they asking for the Blue Rock people to help drive away this other group? Would they want us to fight off some other group that has been hunting the herd too? Not sure I'm interested in that - just doesn't seem like Blue Rock is ready to murder for food. More likely they would poach and deal with the Vasdel afterwards.

Looking at other Oracle tables for inspiration. Oracle table 11: Character Goal - Obtain an object.

This sounds better. I think they will allow the hunt as a credit for a debt owed. Blue Rock will now be on the hook for something thee Vasdel need...

Rolls

Ask the Oracle (table 9 - settlement trouble) - (1d100)

(1) = 1

Sep 7, 2021 7:47 am
"The offer is fair, and we have compassion for your people" the elder thoughtfully replied. "You will bury one of the tusks as an offering to the Great Mammoth, the Pondering One. The other and the hide you will deliver here to me."

"Thank you, Ikram, I replied, but was cut off.

"There is more. This winter has been unusual and hard. Even the beasts act strange. A harrow spider preys upon us. Six times now it has attacked. Twice the victims noticed the beast before it could strike. Twice it has been driven away by torch fire. And twice it has been driven away by blade. Each time it has failed, but now we fear every shadow, every creak of the trees overhead. Our warriors have sought to hunt and kill the beast, but have not succeeded.

"If Blue Rock wish to hunt one of our mammoths, Blue Rock must also hunt and kill the harrow spider. Bring us the corpse."
Sep 7, 2021 7:53 am
"Blue Rock will find and slay the harrow spider, this I swear.
OOC:
Osck has sworn an iron vow to hunt the spider! Harrow spiders are normally rated as Dangerous, but this spider has been injured from past encounters and there is a whole group of fighter, so it should be a rank lower - Troublesome

Rolling +Heart

Rolls

Swear an Iron Vow - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+3)

1d10 : (6) = 6

1d6+3 : (1) + 3 = 4

Sep 7, 2021 8:12 am
OOC:
A miss! Something stands in the way of hunting the spider. Additionally, I need to take -2 momentum.
Once we left the Vasdel camp, Lio spoke under his breath, but loud enough for all to hear

"We won't be hunting no fecking harrow spider! We came here for the meat. The Vasdel can deal with their own problems!

Affirmations all around at that. They had already discussed the matter amongst themselves in hushed grumbles while I gripped my spear and made my vows to the elder Ikram! How dare they think to make a fool of me!

I dropped my sledge and, with the butt end of my spear, I lunged at Lio. "We didn't come here to make enemies with the Vasdel by breaking a vow! You will hunt down that spider with me!"
OOC:
Osck is trying to compel the group through threats. Being more thoughtful would be better stat-wise (+heart +bond = +4, vs +2 alone for +iron), but Osck is on edge with the coming hunt and doesn't have the patience.

Rolls

Compel +iron - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+2)

1d10 : (2) = 2

1d6+2 : (3) + 2 = 5

Sep 7, 2021 8:13 am
OOC:
Weak hit. Osck succeeds, but owes them something too. I think maybe he will have to give them a larger share of the meat, putting him at a disadvantage later and possibly not having enough for the winter.
Sep 9, 2021 7:02 am
The men refused at first, but I convinced them. We then set to making a trap for the spider. We built a small fire just outside the Vasdel camp. Each of the men lay with spear under blanket. I covered each man with snow, such that now they look like little more than snow drifts. As I write, I sit next to the fire as I am the bait.
OOC:
Osck and the men have prepared a trap for the harrow spider. This sounds like the move Secure an Advantage. They are using stealth primarily, so I will roll +shadow. And because I am the GM, I am going to add +1 for the bond between the men of Blue Village.
[ +- ] Secure an Advantage

Rolls

Secure and Advantage, +shadow(1) +bond(1) - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+2)

1d10 : (1) = 1

1d6+2 : (5) + 2 = 7

Sep 9, 2021 7:04 am
OOC:
Strong hit! The trap is well laid. I will take +2 momentum. (Now at +3 momentum.) The spider will attack now while the group lay in wait.
[ +- ] Enter the Fray
The spider is already injured, so it is going to only be a Troublesome foe. While we are lying in wait, the spider is also a silent hunter and may possibly get the drop on us. I'm going to call it even and say that we are basically facing off against one another. Rolling +heart
[ +- ] Kill the Harrow Spider
[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Enter the Fray, +heart - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+3)

1d6+3 : (6) + 3 = 9

Sep 9, 2021 7:29 am
OOC:
Weak hit. I can either take +2 momentum or take the initiative. I will take +2 momentum.
Silently, the harrow spider maneuvers itself through the trees. It moves with a slowing again and fast again rhythm that matches the soft whistle of the trees as the wind blows in a calm, chaotic rhythm of the night.

I sat near the fire, barely keeping it alight. Spear in my hand, I constantly strained to see through the shadows of the trees, always looking for a leg or abdomen. Always just shadows. Then I was forced face down next to the fire by a massive blow from above! The spider had managed to attack with out as much as a scrape of a twig to give it away. I lay in the slush, clutching my spear, now positioned underneath me uselessly, and trying to keep my head shielded by the heavy hide blankets I had draped over me and my body fast to the ground. The fangs of the spider struck over and over on those hides while it grasped and prodded me with countless legs, working a layer of webbing over me and trying to pry me up off the ground.
OOC:
Osck is struggling to hold his position against the spider, hoping the others can spear it before he gets hurt. The spider has the initiative, so I make the clash move.
[ +- ] Clash
Rolling +iron
[ +- ] Status

Rolls

Clash, +iron - (1d10, 1d10, 1d6+2)

1d10 : (6) = 6

1d6+2 : (2) + 2 = 4

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.