Day 0 - Friday

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 6, 2021 5:42 am
FADE IN:

EXT. CAMP JUBILEE - NIGHT

Ten counselors sit around the large bonfire between the Jensen administrative building and the shore. It's just past 10pm, less than an hour left until the mandatory curfew set for counselors. The counselors have worked hard most of the week getting ready for the arrival of the kids tomorrow: scrubbing and sweeping floors, washing off the lake equipment, laundering the bedsheets, clearing out cobwebs, fixing various things. The camp had been closed for nearly two decades, and all sorts of maintenance men had been hired to fix plumbing and repair infrastructure, leaving the counselors to do the more menial stuff. But now was their day off until the campers arrived. They were making smores over the campfire and getting to know one another for the first real time since they had arrived on Monday morning.
Sep 6, 2021 5:54 am
HEATHER CAMPBELL sits in the with her back to the shore, staring out into the darkness of the campgrounds, only a few emergency lights on in the Jensen building, and one in Reverend Mark's office. She has a pretty face but wears an aloof expression at all times. It's hard to remember if anyone has seen her smile these past few days. A WET PLOP draws her back to the moment and she notices her marshmallow had melted enough to fall off her skewer and into the fire. Her face scrunches up in annoyance.

HEATHERIt's the 21st Century and we are still cooking marshmallow's over an open fire with pointy sticks. There has GOT to be a better way to do this. Someone pass me the crackers and chocolate, I don't need a stupid marshmallow.
Sep 6, 2021 5:58 am
BOBBY BROWN smirks at Heather's misfortune. His expression and attitude have been pure cockiness from the get-go.

BOBBYAnd yet it looks like you still haven't managed that simple technology.

As if in divine retribution, Bobby's marshmallow likewise droops down until gravity pulls it off the metal skewer and it lands in the fire with a similar plop and then a crackle. His face darkens in anger.

BOBBYSon of a bitch!
Sep 6, 2021 6:00 am
Heather recoils in surprise.

HEATHERLanguage! The kids are coming tomorrow! You better control your tongue better around them than you do around us.

Bobby scowls but doesn't respond.
Sep 6, 2021 7:10 am
DACEY WILLIAMS is sitting next to her friend, Kristin Weatherly, as she roasts her own marshmallow to perfection. She comes across as a city girl, but the pretty African American proves there is more than meets the eye as she deftly places the sizzling white glob between two graham crackers along with a piece of Hershey's chocolate. Her often unruly hair is tied back -- it's been a long day -- and she wears jeans and a faded, form-fitting tee that shows off her rather dramatic figure.

DACEY

"You two weren't in the boy scouts and girl scouts then," she says to Heather and Bobby with a broad smile -- the kind of smile that usually brought one to others' lips.
OOC:
Not quite right on the formatting, but close.
Last edited September 6, 2021 7:17 am
Sep 6, 2021 7:30 am
SUSAN DYNE is sitting off to the side, lustlessly holding a marshmallow on a stick into the flames. She just came back from the bathroom where she had a sip from the flask she's hiding under her loose shirt. The last couple of days were definitely more work than she signed up for but hopefully, now that setting up the camp is done and it's only going to be keeping eyes on some kids, it'll be less stressful.

SUSAN DYNE
"Heather is right, though. We should just pop these things in a microwave until they melt. Would be super easy. This is just bull...crap!"

KCC

Sep 6, 2021 12:56 pm
Declan never much went in for s’mores. Suppose he missed the boat on them, not having eaten them as a young fella himself. A nice heel of bread and a scrape of jam was his thing, and there was none to be found at this hour. He flicked through a small pocket notebook he kept on him to log work done and work needed doing. The work needed doing section grew longer throughout the day. Too busy to say too much today, he logged what he thought hadn’t been done proper by the blow-in crew today, and would need his own special touch tomorrow. As the curse breaks across the fire, he looks up:

DECLAN FOGARTY
"A microwave, if you don’t mind!" he lets out a good natured guffaw."God help these kids if they get stuck out in the woods with Miss Dyne here. Nare a microwave out in the trees!" he chuckles again, and by now she knows that he’s just making some fun at the end of a busy day.
OOC:
What am I not getting right there? I copied and pasted!
OOC:
GM edit: I fixed it for you.
Last edited September 6, 2021 1:00 pm
Sep 6, 2021 3:52 pm
OOC:
Finish with the [/color] tag.
Sep 6, 2021 5:19 pm
Patty Smith was playing with her marshmallow and had no intention of eating it. Her stomach was still a little off from the nips she took last night. Her bottle of Jameson was cleverly hidden in behind a false panel in her trunk. In fact, there was room for two bottles so she would have to ration herself. She decided to set the now white gooey mess on fire and watch the flames enlarge little by little.

She glanced over at her niece Susie and nodded. No doubt she too had been sneaking in some nips herself. She hated when she called her Susie so she did it just to needle her. She had to needle someone, didn't she?

The marshmallow popped, caught fire, and turned into instant charcoal. "That was fun. Anyone got another they don't want?"
Sep 6, 2021 8:17 pm
Kristin held her marshmallow low, deliberately setting it aflame, only to blow it out and then consume the melted, blackened mass. She didn't bother with the crackers but did eat a piece of chocolate as an afterthought. She took a swig of her Coke Zero and readied another marshmallow on the skewer. The girl was pretty, but quite shy, and didn't speak much about herself. All that she had let slip thus far was that she had black belts in aikido and karate and that she and Dacey are friends ("Just friends," she was quick to clarify.)
Sep 6, 2021 9:02 pm
While the others chat, Lucas has been quietly roasting his marshmallow without saying much. Actually he's been pretty quiet for the last fifteen minutes or so when he wrapped up his work for the day by heading off to some woods south of the zip-line to double check on some mushrooms and fern plants he intends to show the kids during part of their nature lessons.
He leaves his marshmallow in for only a brief length of time to soften, and then lowers it to the flame and lets it catch fire. As it sizzles, he turns it to blacken the entire skin of the treat and presses it between chocolate piece and crackers. He squishes it until the blackened skin starts to bubble out the sides and then sets the entire things aside on a rock, just close ebough to the fire to keep it warm.
This will taste even better in about a half hour.
Sep 7, 2021 12:32 am
Bobby looks at Dacey with a leering grin.

Bobby"I wasn't in the Boy Scouts, but I was IN a girl scout, if you know what I mean."

Heather certainly knew what he meant because her face flushes a deep red. But whether it was out of shock, embarrassment, or anger it was impossible to tell. Perhaps all three.

After a few awkward seconds of silence, and perhaps not a few dirty or outraged looks, it seems Bobby finally detects a shift in atmosphere and coughs awkwardly.

Bobby"So, uh, what brings you all here to Camp Jubilee?"
Sep 7, 2021 3:17 am
Lucas takes a minute to answer, processing something reasonable that doesn't make him sound line a complete nimrod. "Money, mostly. I figured it would be a fun way to make some money before school starts this fall, and I like teaching kids about nature an' shit. So win-win, I guess."
Sep 7, 2021 3:24 am
Patty isn't impressed with Bobby's dumb joke and already detests him. As to why she is at this camp, she isn't shy about saying why she is here. She is too old to give a damn about what other people think. "I'm working off a DUI otherwise I wouldn't be here but I'll make the most of it I suppose," she says as she sets fire to another marshmallow.
Sep 7, 2021 3:32 am
Jessica primly plucks the golden brown marshmallow off of her stick into a pair of crackers, her s'more apparently being the only one that wasn't burnt or ignored besides Dacey's. She answers the question, with a bit of an arrogant pitch.

"Reverend Lucas recommended the position to me. He must need some good help, since apparently only one other person here is competent enough to toast a marshmallow properly."
Sep 7, 2021 4:19 am
Lucas suddenly looks up as if surfacing out of a stupor. "What did you call me?"
Sep 7, 2021 5:02 am
Jessica pulls a face of disgust, as if the idea of mentioning her fellow counselor was abhorrent.

"Not you, you nimrod. Reverend Mark Lucas. The man who runs this camp?"
Sep 7, 2021 5:47 am
Williams makes and eats another perfect S'more as the counselors talk and continue to get to know one another. Declan seems harmless and helpful enough, there's the worn out DUI case who looks like she's already into her cups, and the blonde who wants the microwave shows all the makings of being a real piece of work. Kristin has her shyness on and the outdoorsy guy, Lucas, seems like he might be okay.

Dacey raises her eyebrows and writes off Bobby Brown as the douchebag that he is for his comment, though she can't help but respond with, "You better watch some young Christian girl doesn't hear you say that, Bobby. Report you to the Reverend and fast as that you're out on your ass."

And that's when Jessica evidences her stellar conversational skills, which the former med student just shrugs off with a shake of her head and a mild expression as she sets down her roasting stick.

"Well, there wasn't a question on roasting marshmallows on the application, right?"

A second later, she's answering Brown's icebreaker as well. "You know. Summer job. Needed some time away from the big city. Get some sunshine and fresh air, recharge a little."
Sep 7, 2021 6:19 am
Kristin shrugs when her turn comes to answer. "I'm looking into a teaching job, thought that this might give me some experience. Or change my mind."
Sep 7, 2021 6:19 am
Heather looks at Mark and instinctively tries to smooth any ruffled feathers. "It's ok, he prefers people call him 'Reverend Mark' and jokes that 'Reverend Lucas was his father's name'. He think being on a first name basis makes him more relatable to the congregation, and adding the title to the front gently reminds people of his position and keeps the kids respectful. Boundary setting and all that."
She looks at the others after they give their reasons and gives hers when there's a lull. "This is just a stop on my career path. Not that there's too much mobility in the church, especially for women, but I will take everything I can get. I teach Sunday school during the school year, and it was an easy move to volunteer to work at the camp now that school's out for the summer. Kids can get up to some bad stuff when they're unsupervised. Someone needs to make sure they stay on the right path, so might as well be me."
Sep 7, 2021 6:29 am
Bobby waves a hand dismissively at Dacey. "Christian girls are usually the freakiest ones. Besides, I've had confession many times and repented my sins. Clean slate for me now."] He pauses a moment. "That's one of the reasons I'm here. Got in the tiniest smidge of trouble and Reverend Mark thought it'd do me good to be in a wholesome environment and take on some responsibility with babysitting these kids. Not sure I agree, but this place is great right? Swimming pools and a zip line and archery. Never a boring moment here. Could be worse for sure." He finishes roasting his marshmallow and creates a s'more perfect enough that it could be used as marketing on a package. Then he inhales the whole thing in a single bite. With his mouth full, he mumbles out, "Almost makes you forget the bad history of this place, right? I'm surprised this many people even signed up." He gestures expansively to the whole camp.
Sep 7, 2021 6:35 am
While everyone else seems outraged at it, Susan chuckles quietly at Bobby's earlier comment. Then she replies to his question: "Oh, I just love children so much, you know?" She's not about to tell anyone she's only here for the money. Not that it's likely to take them long to figure that out on their own.

When Bobby speaks up again, she asks: "Bad history? Like what? Did it get bad reviews last time?" She wants to dig out her phone to check the google maps reviews for the camp but then remembers they were all told to leave their phones in the cabins for the day.

KCC

Sep 7, 2021 9:10 am
"Gets me out of the house." is all Declan answers as to why he’s here. A few might know that he likes to keep out of the house since his wife passed. And them that didn’t know didn’t need to know, he reckoned.

When the topic of the old camp comes up, he leans back, crossed his arms and sinks into himself. He’d keep his peace unless asked directly. He figured the boy would poke and prod soon enough. Or maybe he’d enjoy the telling of it himself.
Sep 7, 2021 5:33 pm
Jessica chewed on her s'more quietly, actually somewhat interested in the new conversation topic.
Sep 7, 2021 5:50 pm
Patti sees the judgement in Dacey's eyes and says screw you right back to her with her own eyes. "If there was a question on the application about roasting marshmallows, clearly I wouldn't be here." As if to accentuate her point, her 2nd marshmallow popped into a bright orange flame and slid down the stick in slow motion.

What a bunch of losers, she thinks, the irony of her judgemental behavior totally lost on her. Everyone except my niece. She isn't too bad. I should stop calling her Susie. She may well be my only ally here.
Sep 7, 2021 7:36 pm
Aden had the munchies awfully bad after smoking a joint of Strawberry Haze. This new strain made him feel much more relaxed but made him REALLY hungry.

He’d made himself two Smore Sandwiches and shoved one almost whole into his mouth. He listened in to everyone talking and when he heard Bobby Brown mention "Bad History" he thought he should enlighten them all:

"This place used to be a boarding school for Native American kids back in the day and then just before the war started the owner was investigated for Tax Evasion and they found a mass grave with the bodies of over 200 Indian Kids"

He could tell that everyone was watching him in disbelief for sharing this information but he didn’t care, he shoved the other smore into his mouth and chowed down. He was a total Hippy Stoner but that didn’t make him stupid, in fact he was really clever and did really well in all of his exams.
Sep 7, 2021 7:47 pm
Oh! Patti might have found another ally after all. As soon as Aden spoke up she knew he was stoned and figured a profitable swap of nips of whiskey in exchange for a toke or two of weed (eech strawberry?) would be perfect. She resolved to get him alone so they could work out a deal. Maybe this camp thing wouldn't be so bad after all. She could float through it just drunk and stoned enough that the only person to notice would be her.
Sep 7, 2021 9:01 pm
Kristin looks startled at the proclamation of the camp's history. "Mass grave?! Two hundred bodies?! The application didn't say anything about that! Well, I mean, why would they, but..."
Sep 7, 2021 10:08 pm
"What, nobody here care about the tax evasion?", Susan asks with a grin. She doesn't believe any of this stuff about mass graves and hundreds of bodies and shes surprised that the others apparently do.
Sep 7, 2021 11:23 pm
Dacey listens to people discuss the place's history, even smirks at little when Susan jokes around. Williams isn't much one for spooky stories and such. She's a woman of science and medicine. (At least she wants to be.) The dead are dead. It's a terrible tragedy what probably happened to the kids at the school, but she's someone who looks ahead, not back.

"Let's just be respectful," she adds. "A lot of bad shit's gone down in this country and around the world over the years. Let's make sure these kids coming to camp hear about the good stuff too."
Sep 8, 2021 12:03 am
Bobby gives Aden a curious look of surprised and annoyance at having the wind taken out of his sails. "Looks like someone did their research at least." his features smooth out and he smiles again. "But that stuff is old history. Way before this was even a camp. I meant the more recent news, the reason this camp was boarded up the last twenty years and is just now re-opening." His smile turns into a conspiratorial leer.
Sep 8, 2021 12:11 am
Heather gives a warning look to Bobby. "None of that is important. It happened before you were even born." She looks at the other campers in turn. "There was a big scandal in the 80s involving drugs and...fornication at the camp. Of course something unholy like that would come out because this is a place of the Lord and the wicked were caught and punished. It has no relevance to us."

Bobby leans in. "And the deaths?"

"Drug overdoses. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Also irrelevant to us."
Sep 8, 2021 12:15 am
Bobby leans back, more relaxed, clearly with something more juicy to reveal. "That's not what I heard. My dad's a politician here, you know? Real big shot. Well sometimes I overhear him on the phone or he leaves some papers lying around the house in his office. Well, before the camp was opened, when Reverend Mark was trying to buy this place, it kicked up a lot of fuss about the history of this place. From what I learned, it wasn't just some sex and drugs. It was a Satanic orgy! The drugs were just to open their minds and get in touch with the spirits or something. But I know one thing for sure: those deaths weren't overdoses, they were Satanic sacrifices!"
Sep 8, 2021 12:17 am
Susan can't help but laugh at this point. "Satanic orgy. Yeah, right."
Last edited September 8, 2021 12:17 am
Sep 8, 2021 1:24 am
Patty burst out laughing and immediately started hacking into a phlegmy cough. When she finally recovered she hiccupped. "Oh Susie ... er ... Susan, you are so right. I don't believe a word of it either. The deaths or the orgies."

Patty is sure she will get along with her niece just fine.
Sep 8, 2021 2:11 am
Jessica exhaled sharply in amusement.

"I don't buy it, but I think it serves as a good warning. Some of us should be careful. Unless they want to be the newest entry in this camp's history of drug overdoses."
Sep 8, 2021 6:14 am
It certainly sounds like Bobbie is just trying to scare people, and Dacey can't quite stifle a yawn as the talk turns towards drugs, sex, Satanism, and sacrifice. She turns and looks at Declan.

"What about you, old timer? You believe these old stories Bobbie here is telling?"

KCC

Sep 8, 2021 1:03 pm
Declan grunts, and then leans forward. He clasps his hands and feels the warmth of the fire on his face. He guffaws.

"Sounds like a load of old shite to me. Like every other story I’ve heard over the years about this place. Just something to keep the price of land down."

Declan shifts uncomfortably on the log he had chosen. The heat from the fire beats against his cheeks and forehead and he feels them reddening.
Sep 8, 2021 3:48 pm
"Pbbbt. Satan doesn't... ehr... it doesn't work that way, or so I've heard. Someone once told me that the deaths are all symbolic. Like anything else, the media overhypes it." She looks around as though she has just revealed some horrible secret and expects people to come out of the woods to abduct her.
Sep 8, 2021 3:52 pm
"Better hope your death will just be symbolic, too," Susan grins. In a ridiculously exaggerated spooky voice, she adds: "Once the satanists come back.'
Sep 8, 2021 4:03 pm
Patty's guttural laugh once again makes her cough. "Satanists, shmatonists. Who is afraid of a little devilry? I for one, am not!" She never thought of her niece as a comedian but she was pretty funny so far.

And that Declan. She was beginning to warm to him. He seemed like a sensible, no-nonsense kind of guy. They were around the same age too. Hmmm.

Glancing at Kristin, Patty decided to poke her a bit."What else have you heard about Satan, Kristin?"
Last edited September 8, 2021 4:03 pm
Sep 8, 2021 5:43 pm
"Nothing much," Kristin answers shyly, staring into the fire. "Just the stuff they tell you in church." That wasn't a complete lie; she had attended services with her parents when she was younger. She looks to Dacey for support, hoping to take the spotlight off of herself.
Sep 8, 2021 6:23 pm
"Y'all need to worry about Baptists, not Satanists," Dacey says with a grin, though she's got one eye on Weatherly. Is she still into that shit? she silently wonders.

"We're about to be full up tomorrow, so we need our game faces on. Everyone ready?" she asks the group as she stirs the fire with a sharpened alder she cut in the woods.
Last edited September 9, 2021 5:29 am
Sep 8, 2021 9:43 pm
"After all the heavy lifting and carrying we did the last couple of days, watching some kids build dream catchers or whatever should be a piece of cake," Susan shrugs. She looks over her shoulder. Maybe she can excuse herself to the bathroom one more time for another sip. Just to help her sleep in a bit.
Last edited September 8, 2021 9:44 pm
Sep 8, 2021 9:58 pm
Ha! I know what my niece is up to. We all recognize the same habits in each other, Patty thinks as she sees Susan look over her shoulder. If she takes off for the bathroom, I'm going to follow. I left my stash in my trunk.

Patty has eagle eyes. Don't let that half-smile fool you for she watches everything unless she's really in her cups.
Sep 8, 2021 10:42 pm
OOC:
Even though I have Patty pinned as the first death, I hope she lives for a bit longer. She's fantastic. On the other hand, if Patty and Declan act out that one horror movie cliche about couples doing inappropriate things at inappropriate times, I could only hope for a death swifter than the wind.
Jessica grimaces slightly in apprehension as she wipes her hands on the rock she was sitting on.

"I wouldn't underestimate kids. They lack morals and self control."

A smirk crosses her face.

"Well, most of the adults here are missing one or the other, so maybe you'll all find something in common with the kids."
Sep 9, 2021 12:22 am
Lucas has been sitting glassy-eyed, staring into the fire. Suddenly remembering his s'more he made, he begins munching on it, listening to the conversation around him.
Sep 9, 2021 12:34 am
Bobby doesn't seem to be taking his fellow counselor's reactions well. He had expected disbelief, awe, horror, shock. But instead they didn't believe him! Dismissed him! "Well I didn't make this up!" He stands up abruptly. "Anyways I got better things to do than waste my time trying to educate you lot. And don't say I didn't warn you if you start seeing Satan comes calling for your souls!" He stalks off towards the lodgings.
Sep 9, 2021 12:43 am
Heather watches him go and just shakes her head. "Well that was unexpected." She turns to the others. "He's had a pampered life and still thinks the world revolves around him. I'm sure he'll grow out of it. Maybe." She shrugs. "Well not too much time left before lights out anyway. Just as a reminder, the elementary kids will be bunking together in the Salvation dorm with Jessica and Lucas. The middle schoolers will be together in Sanctification with Dacey and Kristin. High school boys are in Justification with Aden. High school girls are in Grace with Susan. Declan will be staying in Security, Patty in Redemption, and Pastor Mark in Faith. Any questions?"
Sep 9, 2021 2:30 am
Jessica grunts in acknowledgement. Out of all the possible arrangements, this was one of the least worst. Given the amount of thought put into it, Heather was likely the brain behind it. It took into account the counselors' interests, temperament, and capabilities (or lack thereof).

She could do without Lucas's creepy tendency to space out, though. When they were moving stuff the other day, she caught him standing in the middle of the campgrounds for several minutes carrying a mattress in his arms, simply staring at a mushroom on the ground. Kind of impressive, but also really annoying when she's the one that'll have to kick him into gear. He should really practice less..."mycology".
Sep 9, 2021 3:10 am
"Lights out ...ha! I feel like a kid again. Who came up with the dorm names assignments? I'm in Redemption? Oh, I'm way past that honey. Do I look like someone who can be redeemed? I think not."

Patty realized she had better tone it down or they'd kick her out. She had to at least pretend to be somewhat responsible. She needed to stick this out or she'd never drive her old jalopy again. She couldn't keep paying that handsome eighteen-year-old boy with the fake ID to go get her booze. What if he got caught? On the other hand, he was a dream to look at and she'd miss him.
Sep 9, 2021 3:43 am
OOC:
I'm not religious, so playing a religious character is interesting. Those with more knowledge, poke me if I'm totally off base.
Jessica was standing up when Patty spoke.

"Redemption's not that hard. Bobby's done it. You get redeemed when you believe in Jesus. Kind of the thing Jesus died for."

A sigh escapes Jessica's lips as she dusts off her pants.

"Then again, Bobby doesn't regret anything he's ever done."
Sep 9, 2021 4:16 am
Heather smiles briefly. "A curfew is uniform amongst all members, even Reverend Mark. It's to remind us that no matter our age or experience, we are all equal under the Lord. As for the building names, they were kept from the original campsite as a cost saving measure. No need to have new signs made when you can just give the old ones a good scrub and a fresh coat of paint. As for the assignments, I might've had something to do with that," she adds with a twinkle in her eye. Perhaps Heather knows more than she lets on. "And never say never! It is never to late to be redeemed. I myself have heard of quite a few deathbed conversions. So keep hope alive."
Sep 9, 2021 5:05 am
"The high school girls?", Susan asks. "Well that sounds like it's going to be a party." She would have preferred the younger kids. They're probably easier and get tired quicker. But she was a high schooler not too long ago herself so she can probably arrange herself with them. Maybe with a liquid bribe if need be.

"I'm going to quickly go to the bathroom for a second and then I'm ready to head to bed."
Sep 9, 2021 5:55 am
Dacey listens to the assignments and just nods as they're made.

"Well shit," she says quietly to Kristin. There's a smile on her lips. "Here I was hoping I'd be paired up with Bobby Brown. That dude is a train wreck waiting to happen."

Standing, Williams stretches, finishes her water and puts the bottle in the recycling bag before she starting working on extinguishing the fire. "Don't know why the hell I let you talk me into this," she says under her breath to her friend as she works, half-kidding. "There's no brothers here, I'm the only sister... there's more religion up in here than in my grandma's house -- and that is sayin' something. That woman loves Jesus. She talks about Jesus more than she talks about the Atlanta Braves, and lordy does she love the Braves."

As she works, the woman's eyes land briefly on each of the others as the group breaks up. She's an astute observer, Dacey, and she's already trying to figure people out based on what she's seen and heard so far. She doesn't have much to go on yet in some cases, but in others... well, her mind is already made up.
Sep 9, 2021 8:24 am
OOC:
Does Dacey mention Bobby's absence from the sleeping assignments within earshot of Heather?

KCC

Sep 9, 2021 1:10 pm
Declan cringed a little at such a full-throated sermon on the Lord so late at night. Sure, he was a Catholic… Whatever that really meant these days. But could never really get a grasp on this American… in-your-face-ness kind of faith.

He turns to Patty as she makes her remarks on redemption.

"Ahhhh, now. Course you can be redeemed! You just need to remember…" he snuck a mischievous look at the preaching woman. Only long enough for Patty to catch on to his ploy!

"If you never sin, then Jesus died for nothing, didn’t he? So you’d better had make it worth his time."
Sep 9, 2021 3:06 pm
nezzeraj says:
OOC:
Does Dacey mention Bobby's absence from the sleeping assignments within earshot of Heather?
OOC:
Sure, if that's more interesting. ;)
Sep 9, 2021 3:15 pm
"Oh I'll make it worth his time Declan. Don't you worry about that." Patty does her best impression of batting eyelids at him that she can muster.

Then she sees Susan out of the corner of her eye, making a bee-line for the bathroom. Slowly getting up, one knee cracking, the other locking for a second, Patty announces that she's taking a potty break.
Sep 9, 2021 3:45 pm
Jessica physically gagged as she caught onto the two's flirting as she was leaving the campfire. Trying to mentally bleach that image from her mind, she made her way to the Salvation dorm to turn in for the night.
Sep 9, 2021 4:27 pm
Once in the bathroom building, Susan reaches under her loose top and takes out the hidden flask there. She takes a sip when the door behind her suddenly opens again. She quickly hides the flask behind her back. "Fuck - I mean Jesus Christ - give a girl some priv... Oh, it's you, Aunt Patty!" She relaxes somewhat when she recognizes the intruder, though she still keeps her drink hidden. "Weird bunch out there, huh?"
Sep 9, 2021 5:25 pm
Patty raises her hands defensively. "It's all good. Just your dear ol' anti. Why don't you share a bit of what you've got hidden away there? I have a few bottles of the good stuff kicking around my trunk if you get the urge. So don't worry about sharing your stash."

Taking a quick look outside to make sure no one followed she answered her niece. "Yeah, some interesting counselors alright. Should be a fun ride."
Sep 9, 2021 5:40 pm
Susan hesitates for a moment, then she hands over her flask to Patty, ready to fight her if it looks like she's not going to give it back. "Some of 'em seem pretty fun. But this Jessica is a real killjoy. And so is Dacey." She thinks for a moment, then adds: "Bobby's kind of cute, though."
Sep 9, 2021 6:12 pm
"Right? What a drag." Patty takes a sizeable glug from the flask but daintily wipes her mouth. "Oof that's some strong stuff. A chip off the old block you are, yeah?"

Handing the flask back she thinks about what her niece just said while the warmth of the alcohol warms the pit of her stomach. "Bobby? I'd watch him if I were you. He's a looker though. Me? I think Declan is nice. One can't be too fussy at my age with my credentials, if you know what I mean."
Sep 9, 2021 6:43 pm
"Declan?", Susan asks. "But he's so old..." She thinks for a moment, then she adds: "Well, but so are you." She shrugs. "Well, whatever floats your boat, I guess."

She takes another sip from the flask, then hides it back where it was before, washes her hands just for her cover story, then pauses and decides she actually needs to go to the bathroom. She does that, washes her hands again and then returns to the fire where she notices that the others have all started to head to bed. With a shrug, she decides to do the same.
Sep 9, 2021 8:10 pm
Harrigan says:
Dacey listens to the assignments and just nods as they're made.

"Well shit," she says quietly to Kristin. There's a smile on her lips. "Here I was hoping I'd be paired up with Bobby Brown. That dude is a train wreck waiting to happen."

Standing, Williams stretches, finishes her water and puts the bottle in the recycling bag before she starting working on extinguishing the fire. "Don't know why the hell I let you talk me into this," she says under her breath to her friend as she works, half-kidding. "There's no brothers here, I'm the only sister... there's more religion up in here than in my grandma's house -- and that is sayin' something. That woman loves Jesus. She talks about Jesus more than she talks about the Atlanta Braves, and lordy does she love the Braves."
"Because I know that you're madly in love with me and have wanted to be alone with me since the day we met," Kristin teases, smirking. She throws a handful of dirt onto the fire.
Sep 10, 2021 12:04 am
Ay, dude... Sorry, did anyone catch what cabin I'm staying in?"
Sep 10, 2021 1:00 am
Heather bristles at being addressed as "dude." "You can call me 'Heather' or 'miss', but not 'dude', thank you. You're in Sanctification. As in you're going to need some sanctification if you've done something unacceptable and that's why you can't remember something as simple as your cabin assignment." Her eyes narrow suspiciously but she decides it's better if she doesn't hear what she expects to hear. She turns to Dacey giving Aden a dismissive cold shoulder. You on the other hand seem much sharper. Bobby and I are stationed in the Bath House. Bobby is on a sort of probation, I'm sure you can see why. He's on bathroom cleaning duty and I'm there to supervise. Luckily there are a private rooms on either end and it shouldn't be as gross as it sounds."
Sep 10, 2021 1:01 am
OOC:
Patty and Susan, give me Obscure rolls , 2d10 plus Obscure stat. You need a 12 or higher.
Sep 10, 2021 1:26 am
Lucas grins to himself, having no intention of calling Heather Campbell "Heather" or "Miss", especially after insulting his intelligence. And now that he knows what pushes her buttons...
Sep 10, 2021 1:49 am
"See ya Suzie," Patty said as her niece exited the bathroom. The nip from the flask didn't do much for her so she walked quickly towards her own dorm, the whisky bottle floating at the front of her mind. Redemption indeed!

Rolls

Obscure - (2D10+4)

(24) + 4 = 10

KCC

Sep 10, 2021 4:07 am
Declan quickly suppressed both an eye roll and a smile as Heather tries to drum up some authority among the younguns. He pushes off from where he was sitting with a groan.

"Well, you know where to find me…" he says as he walks off into the dark, heading for his security station.
Sep 10, 2021 4:56 am
OOC:
Rolling. I assume this is about us hiding that we had a drink? If it's about hiding the flask, I'd get another +2

Rolls

Obscure - (2D10+6)

(310) + 6 = 19

Sep 10, 2021 6:03 am
While Patty is taking a deep swig of the good stuff, she gets the feeling like she is being watched. It's an unmistakable feeling that causes her hairs to raise. But just a few moments later and the sensation is gone. She doesn't know why, but she has the unshakable feeling that someone was watching their discreet indulgences.
Sep 10, 2021 6:05 am
With the fire doused, Heather flicks on her flashlight and wishes everyone a good night. "Sleep well. It's a big day tomorrow." She then walks off to her bed to get as much sleep as she can before the energy vampires arrive tomorrow.

KCC

Sep 10, 2021 1:23 pm
Declan wanders off towards the water. He stops to listen to the water lap against the shore there in the darkness. He stoops to pick up a stone and throws it in. He waits until the plop that results from his throw fades again before continuing on over by Snake Hill. He winds up and around the buildings until he finds his way to Security.

He didn’t miss being in the old house. Not for the few weeks of summer camp. But, he thought, it was hard to beat your own bed.
Sep 10, 2021 3:55 pm
"Well here I am then." Patty plonks down onto the bed and pats it. She finds it a little lumpy but soon she won't feel a thing. She needed to douse that prickly sensation she felt earlier when she and Susan took their nips from the flask in the bathroom. Was some creep watching them in there? Some pervert counselor or a perv from the outside? She made a mental note to tell Susan not to use that bathroom again.

Dragging her trunk out from under the bed and unlatching it, she brightened considerably when she saw her two bottles looking lovely and inviting, the amber liquid flowing back and forth. Removing the opened one, she took a long draft of it, then another, then another, and laid down on the bed. Before she got too catatonic she decided she had better put everything back at least. Taking a few more swigs, she put the bottle back in the trunk, shoved it under the bed, laid her head back, and promptly fell asleep.
Sep 10, 2021 4:23 pm
Lucas decides he doesn't need to go wander in the woods anymore tonight, having taken care of everything before he sat down for smores. He heads off to his bunk in Justification and kicks off his shoes. He turns on the desk lamp beside his bunk and begins reading a dog-eared, paperback copy of Lord of the Flies he keeps in his backpack until his eyelids become too heavy to read a full paragraph at a time, and then turns off the lamp and turns in.
Sep 10, 2021 5:04 pm
After the meeting around the campfire concludes, Susan quickly goes to bed before anyone can task her with another job. The others all seem to think the next days are going to be even more stressful so she decides to get some sleep before then.
Sep 10, 2021 5:39 pm
Jessica lies on her bunk in Salvation, staring at the ceiling. Lucas hadn't shown up yet, so she could only assume that he'd spaced out somewhere again, probably with a joint in his hand. She closes her eyes and mentally recites her usual bedtime prayer.

Dear God, the day was long and trying, and I am grateful for its end. I am blessed to have Your kindness and forgiveness, and my good health and safety. I fear that the day ahead will also be long and trying, and so I implore You to once again give me the strength that no one else will. Amen.

With that, she fell into a deep sleep.
Sep 10, 2021 8:11 pm
With the fire doused and everyone heading off to bed, Kristin decides to follow suit. She briefly considers a midnight swim but decides against risking it this early. Instead, she makes a quick visit to the bathroom and then its off to bed and dreamland.
Sep 10, 2021 10:43 pm
Quote:
"Because I know that you're madly in love with me and have wanted to be alone with me since the day we met," Kristin teases, smirking. She throws a handful of dirt onto the fire.
Dacey just smiles at that, shaking her head at her friend. She's glad Kristin is here. Things didn't end so well in New York, and now -- well, knowing someone at the camp was going to make dealing with the kids (and the other counselors) a lot easier. She accompanies Kristin to the bathroom, washes up, then turns in when they get to their beds. Panties and a tee are her usual bedtime attire, and Weatherly can see the woman is every bit as fit as she was when they were last together.

"Night," Dacey says, staring at the ceiling, not yet sleepy. "See you in the morning, bright and early."
Sep 11, 2021 11:12 am
Whether it's the stress before the big day tomorrow or the final thoughts you had before falling asleep, each of you has their own personal nightmare to keep you company during the hot summer night.
[ +- ] Dacey
[ +- ] Kristin
[ +- ] Aden
[ +- ] Patty
[ +- ] Declan
[ +- ] Susan
[ +- ] Jessica
[ +- ] Lucas
OOC:
Everyone make me an Identify risk roll please :) TN is 15, lose 1 SP on a failure.
Sep 11, 2021 12:34 pm
OOC:
Whew, I think this is the longest post I've ever written haha. Took me over an hour and a half. I hope it entertains! I've included spoilers in case some people don't want to read the others' nightmares, but feel free if you want to!

KCC

Sep 11, 2021 1:40 pm
Declan jolts awake in his bed. His heart races and he can feel the slick sweat all over his body. Primal fear is on him, and his body shakes in the bed. When he closes his eyes, he can see the faces of those in the dream.

He’s had nightmares before, with increasing frequency since the passing of his late wife. This one… this one was different. He had never seen something so…

He could see the faces swimming up out of the darkness even with his eyes open.

… vivid.

He throws the bedding off of himself and he gets up. His legs are shaky, and he paces the room a few times, counting backwards from 100 in an attempt to take his mind away from the images that he is sure will fade soon.

He crosses to his window and looks outside as he continues to count.
OOC:
What do I have to do to succeed with a dice roll on this website? +7!!
Last edited September 11, 2021 2:09 pm

Rolls

2d10+7

(31) + 7 = 11

Sep 11, 2021 3:42 pm
OOC:
Lucas Identify roll...
Lucas wakes up with an unsettled feeling, feeling like he was only half rested, and throws his legs over the edge of his bunk. He had an unsettling dream last night, the specific details of which are already starting to escape his memory. Something about misidentifying some Agaricus mushrooms and letting some children eat them, causing them to shrink and be crushed by other kids.
At the time the dream was horrifying, but in the light of day it all seems a bit silly. Probably, it's just his subconscious mind's way of processing some stress about making sure he doesn't make himself look foolish when he begins teaching lessons about nature to these campers.
After tugging some knots out of his bedhead hair and throwing on some clothes and shoes, Lucas rubs some deodorant in his pits and grabs his toothbrush and toothpaste, heading to the community bathrooms to brush and use the toilet. He's looking forward to breakfast this morning.
Last edited September 11, 2021 3:51 pm

Rolls

Lucas Roland Identify roll... - (2d10+6)

(510) + 6 = 21

Sep 11, 2021 4:48 pm
Dacey rose early to get coffee for herself and Kristin. Williams couldn't function in the morning without a cup of joe, and even crappy stuff like she found in the kitchen would do the trick.

She'd looked at her forearm while pouring, the memory -- the feeling -- of mutilating herself still so fresh, so... real. Bloody, greasy tendons sliding out of her arm, fat and muscle and flesh just dripping and quivering... veins and arteries sliced the long way, spraying blood. Her radius and ulna, exposed and shifting as she rotated her arm with morbid fascination.

It wasn't a good way to wake up, from a nightmare that just shook her, and it ruined the racy and pleasant dream she'd been having before that about David. About David before she'd found him with Tyler. Kristin had been in that dream too, at the end, and Dacey didn't quite know what to make of that as she returned to the building with the ridiculous name of Sanctification.

"Wake up sleepy," she says as she comes in, steaming coffees in both hands.

Rolls

Identify (6) vs. 15 - (2d10+6)

(72) + 6 = 15

Sep 11, 2021 5:10 pm
Jessica sat up with a start, panting heavily and rubbing her arms. As the horrors of sleep faded away, and reality took purchase, Jessica fell back onto the mattress, cold sweat beading up on her skin. Gradually steadying her breathing, Jessica offers a silent prayer to God, not only for her safety, but also for an answer. Just what did this nightmare mean? What did she mean by her last thought?

Putting her hand on her forehead, Jessica realized that she was drenched in sweat. Pushing aside any thoughts about the dream, she headed to the showers to clean off.

Rolls

Identify - (2D10+6)

(61) + 6 = 13

Sep 11, 2021 5:34 pm
Patty awoke to the sound of what she dreaded. Kids, the little monsters. She was jaded from years of them and was only here because she had to be. She felt dizzy and nauseous and what was that bottle doing on the floor? Hadn't she put it away? "Fuck!" She sliced her knee down to the bone as she toppled over onto it, shattering it and impaling her knee on a sharp shard, the pain searing through her already throbbing hungover head. But the soup seems soothing until she notices the smores and then the smell."Aghh!" Her mouth is on fire, her tongue is... she's chewing on the hard bits. "Not my teeth it's my best feature!" she shrieks.

Patty bolts upright from the lumpy bed, grabbing at her throat. "What the ....!" she quickly looks on the floor for the bottle, then at her knee, frantically feeling her entire body for injuries. Her mouth seems fine. Her teeth are all there.

"Well, that was THE worst dream I've ever had. God damned kids. I blame them. Now I hate them even more."

Patty's head starts to throb. It's a normal morning condition and one she's used to. A bit of the hair of the dog that bit you and all that crap. She pulled out her trunk, smiled at the amber liquid, took a gulp and then searched out some coffee while trying to shake the nightmare. "I gotta get through this day somehow," she said to out loud to herself.

Rolls

Identify - (2D10+6)

(83) + 6 = 17

Sep 12, 2021 2:18 am
Kristin tries to scream, but no sound comes from her constricted throat, so great is her terror. She snaps awake, covered in sweat and breathing heavily. The nightmare had been so real that she unconsciously checks her thighs for bite marks. For a moment, she is disoriented, but the smell of coffee and Dacey's calming voice bring her around.

"Cripes, Dee! I've had nightmares before, but never so vivid or real! I was in the lake, swimming, and something came up from underneath. Something big! And it glowed! It... it tried to eat me!"

Rolls

Identify - (2d10+5)

(81) + 5 = 14

Sep 12, 2021 12:18 pm
Susan wakes up drenched in sweat. It takes her a good two minutes of panicking about going to jail for mutilating that poor kid, even on accident, until the pieces click together in her mind and she realizes it was just a dream. A ridiculous dream at that, now that she thinks about it. Instinctively, she reaches for the flask she filled up before going to sleep and hid under her mattress and drinks almost the entirety of it at once. Might not be the healthiest way to start the day but after that night, she earned it. She decides to go ahead and take a very long shower before joining the others for breakfast.
But while the weird eye thing might be funny to her now, it's the other part of the dream that's still really scaring her. The loud and messy and unruly children.
Last edited September 12, 2021 12:20 pm

Rolls

Identify - (2D10+2)

(109) + 2 = 21

Sep 13, 2021 1:39 am
OOC:
Sorry just caught up…..how do I make an identity roll?

KCC

Sep 13, 2021 3:38 am
OOC:
2d10+Your Identify stat!
Sep 13, 2021 6:32 am
Sanctification

"Whoa, whoa, it's okay," Dacey says, putting her friend's coffee on some horrible and rustic piece of furniture that passed for a bedside table. "Just a dream. And I had weird ones too. I think that casserole last night for dinner was bad. I told you it tasted funky." She takes the other woman's hand and squeezes it reassuringly.

"Have the coffee. It's so bad it'll make you forget alllll about your nightmare..."
Sep 13, 2021 11:10 am
Aden Woke up on his Camp Bed but had no recollection of how he got there. He had hoped that coming to camp could be a chance for him to turn over a new leaf and get his life back on track. When he was a teen he used to smoke the odd bit of weed instead of having a drink at the weekends etc but now it was taking over his life and he didn’t like it who he was becoming.

He wasn’t religious but in that moment he looked up to the sky and made a silent prayer "Dear……Heavenly Spirit? Give me the chance to sort my shit out and become a good son and a better citizen

With that he looked in his bag for his Journal/Sketchbook. When he was feeling like this it helped if he wrote down his thoughts and feelings whilst sometimes sketching his demons too
Last edited September 13, 2021 11:11 am

Rolls

Aden Identify Roll - (2d10+4)

(79) + 4 = 20

You do not have permission to post in this thread.