Getting new people involved

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 23, 2016 6:51 pm
GP has had a lot of new registrants over the last few weeks, but I haven't seen any new Introduction threads, or many new voices on general discussions. This leads me to believe:

1) People are registering but not joining the site, be it in discussion or game, in which case, the question is what can I do to help make people feel more welcome.
2) People are joining, but just joining games, in which case, is there anything I can do to get more people in general forums? I'm perfectly ok with people not joining in discussions, as long as they're having a good time.
3) People don't know the functionality is available to them.
4) We're hitting the right populations for activity and I'm overthinking this.

Thoughts?
May 23, 2016 6:53 pm
Perhaps GP is reaching that point where the players are heavily outweighing the GMs and folks are just waiting for a new game to jump up?
May 23, 2016 7:00 pm
People like to lurk.

Also i give out this site all the time to people.
May 23, 2016 7:02 pm
DJForeclosure says:
Perhaps GP is reaching that point where the players are heavily outweighing the GMs and folks are just waiting for a new game to jump up?
GP swings in both directions in almost a regular fashion: new GMs pop up with a bunch of games to fill, new players overwhelm them, and it goes back. Games are filling up reasonably quickly, which is good, though I've brought up the thought: what we can we do to make sure new players have a chance to join games before veteran site get to them, specially if they're not vocal on the forums and have a chance to pipe in to join a game.

Also, even if we have more players than GMs, what can I/we do to make them feel more welcome on the public forums?
May 23, 2016 7:26 pm
I can only speak for myself, but I'm more than happy to give up my spot for a new person if they're interested in joining a game.

In terms of more involvement, one option to get more people involved would be to have newbie-specific games, which some have already done. That way, the GMs can walk the new people through the various ways they can get active on this forum in addition to teaching all the other posting basics.

Another option could be to have one intro game forum for people to interact in-character. I'm not sure how that would work but it could be fun?
May 23, 2016 8:35 pm
I had been on here for a while looking for and playing games before I realized that there was a whole other section of the site devoted to non-play discussions. I haven't posted there as much as I'd like (I'm a bit of a lurker), but I've come to realize that this site isn't just a place to play games; it's a community of game-players!

Maybe have a 'welcome' type email upon account creation that explains the various areas of the site and encourage involvement in those other areas?
May 23, 2016 8:38 pm
a welcome email might be good. it took me a while to figure out the community when I first joined
May 23, 2016 8:50 pm
I'll check to see if it was before or after you both joined, but I did add a list of things you can do to get started on the site that shows up when you click the activation link. Think a welcome email as well would be good?
May 23, 2016 8:53 pm
maybe that was there, and I just ignored it...
May 23, 2016 9:00 pm
A welcome email would be good, possibly with some links to "tutorial threads"? A way to show people what some of what the website can do and how to use it.
May 23, 2016 10:39 pm
Why not just a newbie or 'welcome to GP' link of some sort along the menu bar. People could then see tips, tutorials, sample character sheets, and the like before they even sign up.
May 23, 2016 11:16 pm
So as for "tutorial threads", we have the FAQ with what to do to get started, though I'm sure we can do better. And as for a link at top, szemely, you're thinking for when someone's logged out? That's viable, though we'd need to put that together. I'd definitely need help assembling that.

I know the site's not the most user friendly right now, but with threads on the home page and the forum link at top, is it that hard to find the community side of it? I know there's always more I can do, but I'm trying to figure out whether the large chunk of new users who aren't active on the forums are so by choice or not, and if by choice, if it's something I can help with or not.
May 23, 2016 11:32 pm
Keleth says:
And as for a link at top, szemely, you're thinking for when someone's logged out? That's viable, though we'd need to put that together. I'd definitely need help assembling that.
Yes, something someone can see before they decide to join up. I'd be willing to help throw some things together for a page like that.
May 24, 2016 12:27 am
Kjmagle says:
People like to lurk.
That.

I try to give my two cents as often as I can, but I often see threads in which I realize I have nothing to contribute to, so I ignore those...
May 24, 2016 7:03 am
kalajel says:
Kjmagle says:
People like to lurk.
That.

I try to give my two cents as often as I can, but I often see threads in which I realize I have nothing to contribute to, so I ignore those...
Ahem... yup.
May 24, 2016 12:23 pm
I'm sure there are a number of people who are lurking, which is also fine, but given we have 3-5+ new users each day now, I figured we'd have at least 1 person a week or two who wasn't the lurking type. Plus, like I mentioned, even some of you who say you're lurkers put up intro threads when you joined :p
May 24, 2016 12:25 pm
fluglichkeiten says:
kalajel says:
Kjmagle says:
People like to lurk.
That.

Ahem... yup.
I have a confession to make: I lurked for weeks before I joined a game, and even then I was too shy to post on the Introductions thread. And by the time I had joined a ton of games and gotten comfortable on the site it kinda seemed to late to post an intro. :-D

Personally, I read all the non-game threads but often I don't feel like I have anything to contribute, so reading becomes the extent of my participation.
May 24, 2016 1:28 pm
Maybe we should ambush Keleth with a webcam and create a series of "So you want to game on Gamersplane" YouTube videos. Well, I say "we" but I'm like 3000 miles away... But I'd participate remotely.
May 24, 2016 1:31 pm
Qralloq says:
Maybe we should ambush Keleth with a webcam and create a series of "So you want to game on Gamersplane" YouTube videos. Well, I say "we" but I'm like 3000 miles away... But I'd participate remotely.
Heh, I'm trying a week of no video games; either programming or studying. Hopefully the extra time will let me get to recording that podcast I mean to a bit ago. The #notatmytable argument actually helped me come up with a first topic.
May 24, 2016 1:34 pm
Qralloq says:
Some kind of Keleth-based reality tv?

The idea amuses me. Although, not being in the software business myself, my idea of the day-to-day life of a developer is based mostly on Silicon Valley.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.