Burning Wheel Gold Egypt?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 24, 2016 2:38 am
I'm in love with Burning Wheel Gold. I've read the book so many times and yet have only run or played the game less than a handful of times. I'm thinking about running it at this year's AcadeCon and would like to get some practice in and hone the setting I'm creating for it a bit more. To that end, is anyone interested in playing a PbP?

The setting is pretty much ancient Egypt. There are Orcs and Elves and Dwaves in the world, though I haven't figured out their exact places, yet. They may need their own Lifepaths to fit better. But! The Mannish Lifepaths seem to fit pretty well, or at least need minimal tweaks, to work.

This thread is just to check interest. If I get enough interested parties, I can pitch a couple hooks and see where we go from there. Thanks!
Jun 4, 2016 6:01 pm
Nobody is interested? I'd love to get some players and create a fantastic world.
Jun 4, 2016 7:18 pm
I should start by saying I'm slightly over-committed game-wise, so I wouldn't be able to play, but I'm curious about your game. I don't know Burning Wheel Gold; what makes it so special? Is it a game that a new player could jump into or would they need to study the rules?

Also, your setting sounds interesting, Ancient Egypt has so much to offer a fantasy game; epic buildings, occult powers, earthbound gods, and so on. How do you see your game running; would it be a one-shot, a large campaign or somewhere in between? Is it a sandbox or do you have a specific plot in mind?
Last edited June 4, 2016 7:19 pm
Jun 4, 2016 9:07 pm
Burning Wheel focuses on character goals. The stories are always driven by what the characters want to do and they are rewarded for working towards and accomplishing those goals. Burning Wheel's basic rules are rather simple: roll a pool of d6s against a target number of successes. The rules get more complicated by added on the additional systems that add detail to various parts of the game. However, those systems are only meant to be brought out during times where the drama or tension they create adds to the story.

I'm thinking of just doing a one-shot. That'll actually last a decent time over PbP. And I don't have a specific plot in mind, at the moment. I do have some ideas that I want to pitch to a group of interested players, but I suppose it would help to give a peek at them now.

- The flooding of the river this year is almost non-existant and famine threatens. The God-Empress is sending an envoy south to the source of the river to find out who angered the gods and how to fix this.
- The God-Empress wants dwarven crafted pillars for tomb, but relations with the dwarven nation to the north aren't the best. She sends a group to bring back the pillars or workers who can create them.
- The orcs from the west have taken over the sun god's temple. They must be driven out without damaging the holy artifacts held in the temple.
- A man has appeared, claiming to be the god of the river. The God-Empress's advisors are keeping news of him from her while their agents investigate his claims to determine their truth or destroy him.

In the setting, the God-Empress is the all powerful, divine mortal who converses with the gods, rules and protects her people. She has advisors who help her rule, advising her decisions and taking care of matters that don't require her attention. The advisors are helped by scribes who record and disperse the will of the God-Empress. Soldiers enforce this will. Artisans create the goods and technology that the society requires while merchants make sure that food and goods make their way across the land. Farmers work the land and grow the food while slaves provide the bulk of the labor force required. These are castes that the characters would come from and there is definitely mobility throughout the castes. For the game I want to run, the characters would be Man stock, drawn from any of the castes except the God-Empress herself or her advisors.
Jun 4, 2016 9:13 pm
I just picked up Burning Wheel Gold about a week ago. Haven't delved into it too much, but I like what I've seen. Would you be cool with a newbie playing?
Jun 4, 2016 9:16 pm
Yes i would. I do need everyone who plays to have access to the rules, but you don't need to be a master. The basic rules are actually free in pdf form from the Burning Wheel site.
Jun 4, 2016 11:06 pm
I've got the book, but haven't read through it yet. I think I have room for one more game, let me know if you start it up!

//Handle
Jun 5, 2016 2:40 am
Well, two interested players is a good start! I'm excited for this setting and game. Anyone else interested?
Jun 6, 2016 6:29 pm
I'm kind of like Fluglichkeiten right now...slightly over committed on games. I have two that haven't been active in a while that I'm giving another few days before I drop out of them, but still...I've got those commitments first. The game definitely sounds interesting, though. :)
Jun 6, 2016 6:40 pm
This game is definitely on my curiousity list. I've heard great things about it. Do I have the time? Probably not, but I could handle once a day posting. Would access to just the free rules be adequate to start?
Jun 9, 2016 7:52 pm
It would be. For anyone that doesn't have the book, I'd have to do the character creation because those rules are in the book, but as long as you're OK with that, the free rules will be all you need.
Jul 7, 2016 11:00 am
I'm still interested in playing! :)

//Handle
Jul 7, 2016 2:08 pm
Excellent! Right now I'm focusing on a Hunter: the Vigil game that I'm going to put out as an AP on my podcast, Shark Bone. I've already begun working on the setting for this BWG game and I think I can get it started after I'm done with Hunter.
Jul 7, 2016 2:10 pm
You're running a game here that you're going to turn into an AP?
Jul 8, 2016 2:44 pm
No, I'm running a game tonight that I'm recording for an AP. Although, I've considered doing a PbP game and then taking that and turning it into a roleplay drama, kind of like what Openly Gamer Theater does.
Aug 17, 2016 6:15 pm
I'm ready to get this off the ground. For those still interested, here's the game link.
Aug 19, 2016 1:14 pm
You have piqued my interest, but I've never played Burning Wheel before. I'll take a look at the pdf this weekend.
Aug 20, 2016 12:21 am
Just applied. I'm only into page 22 of the SRD but I'm sold on the system, it seems really unique. Also I think your setting is really cool, I've always wanted to play an Egypt-themed game. Also the PbP game I was currently in unfortunately got retired. Not sure where everyone else will be at time-wise but I like a faster moving PbP (at least 2 posts per day). Not saying I won't participate in something slower, just my preference :)
Aug 20, 2016 1:25 am
Nice. So far you're the only player. We could use more!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.