[Recruitment] Screams Amongst the Stars

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 21, 2021 5:18 am
Hi again, I'm making this as a new thread as probably the original one has an uninteresting outdated title. I'll link to it here.

What I'm looking for is 2 more players. The system is Screams Amongst the Stars, a game system type that I found to be called OSRs. I am slowly opening up to this style of light rules now, but if I mess anything up, like implementing ideas that I didn't fully discuss, be sure to let me know!
Last edited September 22, 2021 7:29 am
Sep 25, 2021 2:42 am
The backstory:

Humanity stepped out of Earth to explore and conquer the stars. Then one day, all communications are cut off and technology was forcefully made to regress. Up to the current period, no one had a good explanation for what happened. But for the planet of Darst, humanity was able to recover to the rocket age again after a thousand years, and they went back into the stars to uncover resources, and the the reason as to what happened long ago.
Sep 30, 2021 5:23 pm
Still open, maybe 1 more player.

The game features simple rules, where only saves are rolled. If the result of your actions feel could have different outcomes, I'll roll as luck dice.

The beginning I'll be nice, but over time things will get deadly, and I expect the players to think of solutions I might not be prepared for.
Feb 19, 2022 6:33 am
Hello all. This game is now down to 3 players. I'm open to more players.
There are 3 sheets made that are now inactive from lost players. If you take over these, there are some information you need to be updated with, including reading past posts.

If you wish to make a new sheet, know that it will be a while before you might be part of the story.

I am open to 3 more players. Time limit inconclusive.
Last edited February 19, 2022 6:35 am
Feb 19, 2022 9:57 pm
As I'm a sucker for SciFi-games I'd be interested in joining. 🙋‍♂️
Feb 20, 2022 5:14 am
Alright, I'll invite/accept you.

Btw, I can't immediately bring you into the action, unless you are fine with being responsible for taking over one character, named Matsuki. She is a sniper, a spy that was arrested for stealing secrets from a rival nation and is now sent on a semi-suicide mission to serve the offended nation to aid the needs of the space exploration and development effort.

Do you want this, or choose or make another character?
Feb 20, 2022 9:01 am
As I'm not really familiar with the system it may be good if I pick up the character that's already there. So I'll take Matsuki ;)
Feb 20, 2022 10:39 am
I am new to RPGs and only have some experience with D&D 5e but when I joined I was hoping to find a Sci Fi game. Is it too difficult for a newbie to learn. Perhaps you have a character I could take over.
Feb 21, 2022 1:06 pm
There are 2 other inactive player characters. Those are not with the party. However, they may have their own thread to do a separate scenario that may link up with the main group.

One is Professor Odlyxacur Ballantschnik, nickname Oddball. He is a space engineer who is a space-marijuana enthusiast hippie. He have a relaxed attitude, which didn't help much when antagonistic colleagues decide to kick him from their satellite station. He is now on an emergency pod that is on autopilot towards a planet where he is now needed.

Another is Jerome Huxley, who is a priest that is part of a secret mission to solve a spiritual issue on a colony base on another planet. He learned that there is a cult forming amongst the staff, and a skull in a vent in the janitor's closet. Unfortunately, he is beaten up by cultist thugs from maintenance and is currently recovering in the infirmary.
The game is much simpler than DND 5e. You only need to roll saves of Will, Strength or Dexterity, if something dangerous is related. You can do most actions easily, but difficulty AND dangerous will require rolls. If you want, I'll send a link to the rules to you first.
Feb 21, 2022 1:52 pm
Thank you. I would like to read the rules first and then choose a character if that is OK
Feb 26, 2022 12:33 pm
I have looked through the rules and understand the basics I think. I don't think I could role play the hippy but I could give the priest a go. Would you be willing to try a separate thread with me. If I am not good enough please tell me but I would like to join
Mar 2, 2022 8:58 am
Since my last post I have been given invites to two other games so I think joining yours as well will now be too much to handle. Thank you very much for your help and if you start a game from the beginning in the future I would be keen to get involved.
again thank you.
Mar 3, 2022 12:49 pm
Thanks for letting me know.

But I am getting a little exhausted from being a dissappointment. I want to know if I should give up or not. I have made a mess. Now I want to be very sharp. To do that I need to make the enemies not fooling around, and have the information proper.

PC death will now be a thing. I need to do this since everybody want free hand outs. But at the same time, I must make the rolls more important. This is what should have happened. I need to make the roll requirement trully appropriate.

i am so pissed. 2 games in a row is now trash. Or atleast all my attempts. I need to figure out how to save it.
Last edited March 3, 2022 12:51 pm
Mar 4, 2022 9:12 am
I am interested in this style of game, but I don't have the book. Is buying it necessary?
Mar 7, 2022 2:21 pm
Sorry for expressing frustrations. Those games in the past have a good reason for dying out. I need to learn why I messed up.

Also, Whatsup, you won't need to buy it, I'll link to you the rules for you to see.
I also need to remember the right way to run it, not make the excuse that I expect it to be a grindfest just because its "a cosmic horror game". This goes for my other games.
Mar 7, 2022 9:47 pm
:) The GM's life is a hard one, beset with many obstacles.
Mar 9, 2022 3:55 pm
Don't give up. I can't tell you how many games I have had that failed; some due to my own incompetence, others due to circumstances beyond my control. It happens. The best you can do is to learn from it and move on.

As far as character death goes, bring it on. I don't practice encounter balance so much as common sense. If you take on a dragon, you have to expect that someone is going to get hurt, probably killed. Sometimes the best option is to turn tail and run, and players need to understand that. Not everything you meet will be of a level appropriate to your skills.

If you can defeat everything that you encounter without threat of dying, then the game ceases to be a challenge and becomes an exercise in creative writing and mathematics.
Jun 30, 2022 4:05 am
I am now open to have another player in. You could take over an existing character that is playerless, or make a new one. The new one will start as a worker at the colony base where the current mission is.
Jul 7, 2022 8:54 am
Bumping this for the last time for now.

I'll try to see how to explain the rules better if you need me to. Give me feedbacks on how to get players.
Jul 23, 2022 4:15 am
Are you looking for ppl still?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.