Chapter 2: Into the Mists

Sep 21, 2021 12:55 pm
You leave the haunted house and make your way down the road, hoping to find your way back to Phandalin and your homes. You walk for what seems like forever, and eventually the terrain begins to change.

Black pools of water stand like dark mirrors in and around the muddy roadway. Giant trees loom on both sides of the road, their branches clawing at the mist.

The fog spills out of the forest to swallow up the road behind you. Ahead, jutting from the impenetrable woods on both sides of the road, are high stone buttresses looming gray in the fog. Huge iron gates hang on the stonework, open wide enough to allow passage through. Dew clings with cold tenacity to the rusted bars. Two headless statues of armed guardians flank the gate, their heads now lying among the weeds at their feet. They greet you only with silence.

https://i.imgur.com/wT8pCdw.png
Sep 21, 2021 4:24 pm
"Phandalin's sure changed in the time we were gone," Knobbenkirk says with sarcasm. He remains where he is, scanning the tops of the walls for any sentries.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Sep 21, 2021 5:27 pm
Peering up through the Mists, it's difficult to see the top well, but it doesn't appear that there are any sentries posted. Peering through the gate, it clearly doesn't lead into a town or anything. The border wall of a lord's lands perhaps?
Sep 21, 2021 5:32 pm
We are just as lost on this side as we are going to be on the other side of that gate. It's a landmark for sure, but let's just go through.
Sep 21, 2021 6:10 pm
Knobbenkirk looks back down the road they traveled. "Were we even going the right way? You don't think Phandalin's back that direction, do you?"
Sep 21, 2021 9:31 pm
I don't think we are anywhere close to Phandalin. I have never even heard of a gate or wall or statues like these. I know Tempus will try to keep us safe, but that is about the only thing I know. Ominous statues, aren't they?
Sep 21, 2021 10:12 pm
Tommaso silently look at the statues and their decapitated heads on the ground. That certainly doesn't seem like something that happened naturally. It looks like a message. He looks around for any insignia, markings, or writing that may indicate when the walls/statues were constructed and by whom. Nothing about this is normal. He isn't thrilled about going through the gate to an unknown destination but venturing into the woods is even less appealing. "We should probably keep a loose formation. No telling what we're going to run into beyond this wall."
Sep 23, 2021 12:38 am
You pass cautiously through the gate and deeper into this strange place. Towering trees, whose tops are lost in heavy gray mist, block out all but a death-gray light. The tree trunks are unnaturally close to one another, and the woods have the silence of a forgotten grave, yet exude the feeling of an unvoiced scream.

Davin catches the scent of something else. Something barely detectable, but definitely present. He catches the scent of death on the air.
Sep 23, 2021 1:02 am
Anyone else smell that? It is... just... I can barely smell it, but it is there. It smells like... death. Where are we?

There is a hint of hesitation as he says this, but he says it anyway thinking it is important for the group to know.
Sep 23, 2021 1:29 am
Knobbenkirk continues to trudge along. "Probably some animal just off the road," he says. "Speaking of which, where is the road? Can't see anything in this mist."
Sep 23, 2021 4:21 pm
I would be supprised if this forest smelled like lollipops and cookies. Oberon unslings his crossbow and loads it. As Knobbenkirk gives him a look, he just answers. Better safe than sorry
Sep 23, 2021 8:27 pm
Tom is relieved when Oberson arms himself. He has been wanting to do so for some time, but didn't want to look overly paranoid. Tom will gladly take hold of his shield and morningstar. He continues to walk with them lowered at his sides. "I think safe might be out of the question. But better armed and dangerous then dead in a ditch."

Tom tries not to think too much about where they have found themselves. He keeps his focus on scanning for threats and continuing to take one step after another. They have to eventually find some place friendly. Right?
Sep 23, 2021 9:15 pm
"Let's just find somewhere, someplace we can get information," says Knobbenkirk.
Sep 24, 2021 12:49 am
Agreed. We keep moving for now. Let's just keep our eyes open.
As he says this, he secures his shield and checks that the flail is easily available.
Sep 27, 2021 2:40 am
You continue on the path through the forest, the mist thick about you. It's quiet in the woods until the sound of a wolf howling breaks the silence and it sounds close. You quicken your pace, but the next howls sound even closer and you hear crunching in the woods nearby as if something is following you.
Sep 27, 2021 3:54 am
Knobbenkirk looks for the nearest climbable tree, ready to scale upwards for a better spot to shoot an arrow or better yet, hide.

Rolls

Athletics to climb? - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Sep 27, 2021 7:19 am
Fasten a robe when you get up there Knobby! Oberon is standing guard keeping an eye on the forest edge with a loaded crossbow.
Sep 27, 2021 5:33 pm
Knobby makes his way to the nearest tree and climbs his way quickly up a safe distance before tying off a rope for the others to climb.

The sounds of approach through the woods is very near at this point.
Sep 27, 2021 5:36 pm
Everyone, get up there!
Sep 27, 2021 10:40 pm
Tommaso grimaces while looking for the source of the sound. He would rather stand on solid ground and fight. He knows how to fight. Being up in a tree with no means of self defense is not his idea of a good time. But he relents.

Tom slides his shield on his back and drops his weapon into his belt loop before hurriedly following the others up the tree.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.