πŸ”” Discord integration

Sep 21, 2021 1:26 pm
...because @mentions got hijacked.

Snippets post to discord too

When a post is made in some GP game threads it optionally posts a snippet and a link to the GP post on a GM's discord server channel.

This allows players to see that there's activity in the main GP thread.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/847468766149476394/869895414718021672/unknown.png
e.g. that's a 200 character snippet.

It can use the character/player name and avatar, but it'll be marked as BOT.

The idea is that some GP threads would post to some discord channels - so not all GP game threads would post to a discord channel, but different threads could post to different channels.

Mechanism

First the GM has to create a discord server, channels and webhooks for the channels. This is all discord stuff.

Then using the GP Advanced Rules the GM ties the thread and webhook together. There might be many of these entries depending on how many threads the GM wants to post snippets for on discord.

"discordHooks":
[
{ "threadId":2,"webhook":"https://discord.com/api/webhooks/YOUR_URL_FROM_DISCORD"
}
]

After you've created the discord hook and added it to the advanced options... that's it. GP updates discord with post snippets and links back to the posts.

Adam's opinion

I don’t want this. It’d be yet another place I’d have to check for ooc - sure I already use discord, but not all of my gp buddies are there. I don’t know -but it feels it might just have the potential to make gp feel even cliquier.

Difficulty?

I wrote the code before I decided I didn't like it.
Sep 21, 2021 1:29 pm
I would not join a game that had this enabled.
Sep 21, 2021 1:41 pm
vagueGM says:
I would not join a game that had this enabled.
Even if it were optional? There's no reason everyone HAS to join in, right?

EDIT: I do see the argument that it separates our users into the Discord/non-Discord crowd. Perhaps you're right, it isn't the best idea. In a perfect world, GP as a site would have an option to send push notifications or faster emails so those who WANT to be notified can be, and others could turn them off. That would likely have to wait until (if) there's a working mobile app in the future.

Discord works wonderfully as an OOC tool, and I think it's 100% necessary to create a close-knit community. Before I hopped in, I didn't talk often with other users on the forum; not because the discussion was happening on Discord, but because the much slower speed of communication didn't make me want to be a part of things.
Last edited September 21, 2021 1:44 pm
Sep 21, 2021 1:47 pm
skeptical_stun says:
Even if it were optional? There's no reason everyone HAS to join in, right?
Split communities are bad. I will not join! :)

Seriously, though: Yes, even if it were advertised as 'optional'. I have been in many games that used outside tools (IRC, ICQ, Hangouts, du jour) and promised that these "will only be used for nudging players into action, all game related discussions will stay on the site", but then they get used for planning whole scenes with some players left out of the discussion and waiting long times with no signs of life.

I would need to really trust a GM to ENFORCE that all discussions happen where they are supposed to to trust a game with 'hidden back-channels'.
Sep 21, 2021 1:50 pm
Quote:
Split communities are bad. I will not join! :)

Seriously, though: Yes, even if it were advertised as 'optional'. I have been in many games that used outside tools (IRC, ICQ, Hangouts, du jour) and promised that these "will only be used for nudging players into action, all game related discussions will stay on the site", but then they get used for planning whole scenes with some players left out of the discussion and waiting long times with no signs of life.

I would need to really trust a GM to ENFORCE that all discussions happen where they are supposed to to trust a game with 'hidden back-channels'.
I do see your point after some thought. I don't think a split platform community is the right move. It sounds like this would be good mobile app fodder for the future.
Last edited September 21, 2021 5:47 pm
Sep 21, 2021 4:05 pm
Agreed. It would be useful if the crew was already 100% bought into using Discord for some OOC. But for less than 100%, it could easily cause a schizm.
Sep 21, 2021 5:15 pm
vague raises some good points. I've experienced something similar before as well
Sep 21, 2021 10:35 pm
Downvote. And I *love* Discord for all sorts of RPG purposes, including PbP support channels. It just isn't needed. For those who like Discord as a support mechanism, it works perfectly fine as-is. I would instead put all efforts into a proper on-site @mention system.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.