Safety Tools

Sep 23, 2021 4:57 am
Safety tools are an easy way to make sure everybody in the game is having a fun time. Since we're all strangers we have no idea what each others' lives are like, so it's important to share at the beginning of the game what kind of things we want to exclude from our story - topics that make you uncomfortable or ruin the fun for you. Also, let's talk about how we will deal with unexpected uncomfortable events when they come up in the game.

Here's the tools we are using:

Overall Rating
In general, this game will strive for a PG-13 rating. The kinds of things you would expect to see in a summer blockbuster movie.

Lines
Even within the overall rating, there may be some subjects we want to avoid. Our Lines are these hard limits, things we do not want to come up in this game. Lines represent places we don't want to go in roleplaying.

The Lines so far include: Rape

Veils
A veil is a "pan away" or "fade to black" moment. When we veil something, we're making it a part of the story, but keeping it out of the spotlight. Think of it as a way to still deal with certain themes while avoiding having to describe them in graphic detail.

The Veils so far include: Blood drinking and blood letting, interactions of a sexual or romantic nature, child abuse, violence against children.

Script Change
Any time the game is going in a direction that makes you uncomfortable, just post "Pause for a second" and explain what is making you uncomfortable. No justification is necessary, just let us know what the problem is. As a group we will talk about how to adjust on the fly. We can retcon or change things to eliminate the thing ruining your fun, and we can all give input about how we "fix the script" so that we are all satisfied with the result.

If you prefer, you can PM me privately and I'll make the call to pause for a second. I'll explain the issue anonymously and we will go from there.

Leaving the Game
If something comes up and you need to leave the game or pause your participation, don't hesitate to let me know. We can work together to help make that smooth for you. Also, not every game is right for everyone, and not every DM is for everyone. If you're not having fun or my style isn't for you, let me know and we can try to adjust things. But, if it ultimately it doesn't work out, no hard feelings. I understand and thanks for letting me know.
Quote:
ACTION REQUIRED:
Please list any topics that you want to handle with care, and let me know if it is a Line or a Veil. You can post them as a reply to this post, or you can PM me if you want to remain anonymous about it. We will read each others' lists and agree to avoid the Line topics and put the Veil topics outside of the scene background. If have nothing to add, just post something to let me know you're good. As always, if you're not sure about something, just ask.

Thanks everyone!
Sep 27, 2021 9:12 pm
If we are sticking to a PG-13 Grimm Fairy Tale style story, then I don't think I have any topics of issue that should come up. However, since you never know, I would say should any Faerie seduction lead to sex that would be a Veil for me.

I also have a squick about blood drinking or blood letting. I think that is still more a Veil than a Line. Brief mentions are fine. Mutli-page descriptions like in vampire novels about the experience I can't handle.
Sep 27, 2021 10:15 pm
I have to agree. The standard PG-13 fare should be fine for me as well, with anything R or above going to a veil.

Len

Sep 28, 2021 5:53 am
Great start, I've added these topics to our veils.
Sep 28, 2021 8:43 am
Not expecting any of these given the PG-13 rating but anyway:

Lines:
• Rape.

Veils:
• Consensual sex and romance. Of course it happens in the world, but I'd prefer for it to happen off-stage.
• I'd prefer not to see any form of abuse and violence against children except to depict a truly despicable villain.
Sep 28, 2021 9:40 am
I am a 100% with Jabes here. Nothing to add.

KCC

Sep 28, 2021 12:19 pm
Yep. I doubt anything will come up that I’d disagree with!

Len

Oct 2, 2021 9:23 pm
Thanks, I've added everyone's suggestions. To summarize the changes:

The Lines so far include: Rape
The Veils so far include: Blood drinking and blood letting, interactions of a sexual or romantic nature, child abuse, violence against children.

Feel free to add to these lists at any time.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.