Savage Worlds

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 25, 2021 2:17 am
I'm setting up to run a Savage Worlds (SWADE) game.

1) Is there any interest?
2) Pulp or Weird War II?
Sep 25, 2021 2:35 am
What would you define as "Pulp"? That could cover a whole bunch of stuff, like noir, sci-fi, fantasy, or anything else in cheap paperback form.
Sep 25, 2021 4:25 am
True, I should have been less ambiguous. Let's say 1930's adventures (not detective or noir) in the classic Doc Savage/Alan Quartermaine/Indiana Jones style. Maybe with a touch of weird science and some mysticism (not a lot, but just enough to be interesting).
Sep 25, 2021 4:43 am
What GURPS calls Cliffhangers!

=]
Sep 25, 2021 5:26 am
Exactly!
Sep 25, 2021 2:01 pm
This muses me, mucho. Got the savage worlds rules but alas never played.
Sep 25, 2021 2:29 pm
Would love some two-fisted high adventure pulp action, myself! Interested if it swings towards pulp.
(I know SWADE pretty well)
Sep 25, 2021 3:52 pm
Like @Valdus, I have the rules, but have never played. Would love to give it a try.
Sep 25, 2021 4:10 pm
From the "Looking for Game" thread:
Quote:
Savage Worlds
Remnant
Drakis2
Phil_Ozzy_Fer (open to setting ideas, or Savage Rifts. I wasn't sure why there are two entries for Savage Worlds)
PhoenixScientist

Savage Worlds Adventuring Edition (SWADE)
LegionChimera7
WhtKnt (something pulpy)
Gnome Chomsky
In case you want to reach out to the people who might otherwise miss this thread directly
Sep 25, 2021 11:40 pm
How crunchy is this game/system going to be? In my ancient roleplayer eyes theater of the mind rules over rules.
Sep 26, 2021 12:43 pm
The rules are a necessary evil, particularly for fast-paced action scenes. Having said that, I was never one to let the rules interfere with a good scene. In any case, it will all be TotM, I dislike using minis online.
Sep 26, 2021 1:04 pm
I find SW to be pretty lightweight. Character Creation is simple as well, which is always a big plus for me
Sep 26, 2021 1:26 pm
To me, lightweight is something like Tiny D6 whereas Savage Worlds is more mid-weight. But having said that, Savage Worlds is pretty straight forward and the dice exploding mechanic is terrific. You really can make a great roll with 1d6 and a minus 4 penalty.
Sep 26, 2021 1:54 pm
I guess I will have to go the rules and find that out. Oh well, I guess this Alice is in the rabbit hole!
Sep 26, 2021 2:27 pm
Some people call 5e lightweight 😆

Yea, it's more midrange than super light. But I feel like it's a pretty easy system to get the hang of. Doesn't really get in the way
Sep 26, 2021 2:31 pm
Ha! No comment on that at the risk of being shunned for life. :-)

Totally agree with Savage Worlds being easy to learn.
Sep 26, 2021 3:57 pm
+1 for mid-range rather than light, but it's also very traditional -- and easy to pick up, though raises and shaken and whatnot in combat can take a little grokking, in my opinion.
Sep 26, 2021 4:01 pm
Valdus says:
I guess I will have to go the rules and find that out. Oh well, I guess this Alice is in the rabbit hole!
Tangent: Alice in Wunderland setting is interesting also...

It's a fun system I think.
Sep 26, 2021 7:08 pm
SWADE has pulp setting called Pulp Fantastic. Probably worth checking out.
Sep 27, 2021 5:12 am
Gnome_Chomsky says:
SWADE has pulp setting called Pulp Fantastic. Probably worth checking out.
Hmmm, I'm using Thrilling Tales, but thank you for giving me something new to check out! Their preview doesn't give much away, but it might be worth the $15 to have a look.
Last edited September 27, 2021 5:13 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.