Interlude (1994): George and Andy In the Library

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 25, 2021 8:02 pm
OOC:
This thread is just for Windyridge and I working out some of the details for the past 7 years, RP style. @KCC, if you want to move it into a subforum, please go ahead.
September, 1994: First year at Nevada State College.

George sat with a stack of books. The Science program was so junior to his mental skills, he had a hard time focusing or taking it seriously. Even so, after skipping two weeks of lectures, he had to work hard to catch up if he wanted to ace the first midterm.

Somehow, he'd become really popular, and was more interested in a good time, than in learning the basics. So he sat in the back of the library, near the chemistry and mathematics section, not because he needed those, but because no one every came back here -- even in the first week, he was approached by random kids who knew his reputation and were looking to party, and he was terrible at saying no. Hence, hiding in the back.

He'd left Andy a message with his mom, and hoped he'd get it. They hadn't really seen each other since high school graduation. Andy was driving the 10 miles every day, but George was staying in a student dive just off campus, using his scholarship money frugally. He could have gotten a full ride to MIT, he knew that, but he'd not really applied himself in high school.
Sep 25, 2021 9:20 pm
Andy was curious when his mom gave him Georgie's message. "George now I guess," he said, correcting himself. "I wonder what he wants," he said to his mom and realized he was both looking forward to seeing him again and not. He didn't relish the idea of being reminded of the unfortunate incidents of the past and the camp that nearly killed them all. He never said a word to anyone else about it since.

He drove to the library, his car backfiring as he pulled into the parking lot, turning a few heads. Taking two steps at a time he entered the cool, quiet space with dark bookcases that stretched from floor to ceiling. Noting that characteristic book smell that made the place feel so homey, he walked towards the back, nodding at a few students that he either knew or didn't. Nowadays, most kids knew him by sight from his notoriety on the soccer pitch both as a prolific goal scorer and an ambassador for the sport. Many of the younger high school kids looked up to him as a role model and he enjoyed the attention. He had settled in well and was so far enjoying college life very much.

He spotted George's forehead above a stack of books and sat down beside him. "How's it goin' George. Long time no see, huh?"
Sep 25, 2021 9:30 pm
George pushes aside the pile of college texts so he can see his old friend. "Andreas Potensus!" he says, or Mighty Andrew as George had tried to get the high school students to call him during one championship drive. It hadn't caught on.

"You're looking good. How was summer? Did you get all the classes you wanted?" That was the question to ask, as many of the popular classes had filled up quickly.
Sep 25, 2021 9:36 pm
Andy blushed at the nickname. He never liked it so he was glad it didn't take. "You don't look so bad yourself," he said, even though it wasn't entirely true. George looked like he wasn't getting much sleep and partying hard. But he was genuinely happy to see him.

"Summer was ok. Mostly soccer practice really early for new players. They hit us hard man. Practices are like nothing I ever imagined. But yeah, I got my classes. I'm in a lot of business classes. Some are boring, a few are interesting. It seems like half the team is in business classes too. How about you? You get the courses you wanted and a fun summer?"
Sep 25, 2021 9:51 pm
George smiles broadly. "Summer was great. I partied so hard. Ketchum and I went up to Lake Mead and crashed on a houseboat with these kids from Indiana. Man they were funny when they were stoned. I don't think they'd ever smoked up before. I bet I lost 5 pounds from all the swimming, though." He claps his belly. "This one kid, Patterson, that's first name if you could believe it, kept trying to breakdance. Remember when we tried to learn to do that? Haha, it was so funny." He remembers his own failures fondly, and how Andy had gotten pretty good at some of the moves.

"Hey, have you seen any of the old group? Like Jaden, he's here isn't he? I thought I saw him at the cafe, but it could have been Brian May."
Sep 25, 2021 10:43 pm
"Brian May huh? That's funny." Andy laughed. "I miss the gang. The kidding around." He didn't mean for that to slip out but it had. It was true though. There was something different and special about school friendships and growing up together. "I think I saw him once. Not Brian May. Jaden. But I wasn't sure it was him. I did hear a rumor about Em though and I hope it isn't true. She got into some trouble and ended up in Juvie? You hear anything about that? I figured it was just girlie gossip, but you never know. There are often grains of truth in those rumors."
Sep 25, 2021 10:53 pm
George missed Em poignantly. As two like minded misfits the other kids had wondered if they ever dated, but things had never evolved that way. After Summer Camp That Never Was, he had realized that she did have eyes for boys, just not him. She was like the sister he always wanted, and that was enough for him.

"Yeah, I'd heard that too, that she's been in juvenile detention for years. I write her once in awhile, but I've never mailed them. I hope she's close to getting out, she's an adult now right? Unless she buggered it up."

He thinks back on that gang. "What about Mikey, have you sl heard anything? I remember when the Rogans moved. It was so sudden, and then to find Coach Rogan back at school, man, that was weird. I wonder where he went."

He thinks about that. "Remember that gun I bought? No? Oh, I guess you weren't there. Anyway, I was certain Coach had messed with Mikey and his mom. Absolutely certain. I was going to get retribution. But, I thought better of it, that I wasn't actually certain of anything, and then got caught."
Last edited September 25, 2021 11:22 pm
Sep 26, 2021 1:48 am
"It sounds like she really did end up in there then. Wow," Andy says, shaking his head in disbelief. "That's so sad though." He is quiet for a bit, wondering how things can go so wrong...knowing how things can go wrong. He's glad when George changes the subject since he did not want to go down that memory lane ever again.

"Mikey? Naa not really. Yeah it was weird, coach coming back to the school. But you know.... adults and their problems. Always something." Andy drifted off again. Now that he thought about it, Coach did act kind of funny after that. Like he was perpetually angry and depressed at the same time.

He drifted off again, remembering Coach being too severe at practices sometimes, and out of it and unhappy at other times. He snapped back to the conversation when George mentioned a gun. "A gun? What gun? No you never told me about a gun."

Andy didn't know what to do or say when George suggested that he thought about retribution. Was he really thinking about murder? Wow. That was some messed-up shit. He'd have to think about all that. He came to meet George because he wanted to rekindle some of their friendship, but now, he wasn't so sure. He actually bought a gun.

"Hey .... a ... it was really great to see you again." Andy slowly gets up from his chair. It really was great to see him again and he almost didn't want to leave. "We will have to meet for coffee or something soon. Okay?"
Sep 26, 2021 2:30 am
"Come on, Andy, don't leave yet. Don't worry, know one will see you with 'that loser', your reputation is solid. Hey, tell me about that blonde girl at graduation. She looked like she could have been Robin's daughter." He laughed. Andy was always twirling a girl on his arm, but hadn't really been serious with any of them.

"When are you gonna get serious and give your mom the other ten kids she needs for a --- Ow! That's my smoking arm!" He laughs rubbing the spot where he just got punched.
Sep 26, 2021 11:27 am
"Naa, I really gotta go." The tap on the arm he gave him almost felt like old times but not quite. "See ya later, Georgie".
Sep 26, 2021 12:41 pm
"Sure, Andy. Thanks for coming."

As Andy walked away George reminisced for a moment. They had grown apart in so many ways. But more so, around the popular boy, who was growing into such an all-American man, George felt like a loser again in a way he hadn't felt in years. He pushed that away, and focused on better living through modern chemistry. He had eight to ten years of school still ahead of him, but if he focused he could cut as much as three years off, he figured, if he didn't let partying take over completely.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.