Mumble Server!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 26, 2016 1:56 pm
Alright, things are set up enough that I can go ahead and introduce everyone to the Gamer's Plane Mumble server. It's still a work in progress, so if you see anything that needs attention or have an idea that you'd think should be implemented, please let me know here or yell at me when I'm logged in on Mumble.

First things first: you may be asking "But Irvan, what's Mumble?" Mumble is a VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol) program that lets one speak with his or her friends online whilst doing other things, such as playing a video game or running a conference of some kind. It's very simple to use, and (thus far, anyways) the Server is pretty easy on the resources.

"Well, how do I use this newfangled contraption?" Simple. Download the Mumble client for whatever OS you happen to be running, whether it's Windows, Linux, or MacOS, and follow the instructions to install it. From there, go to Server > Connect, and it will bring up a Server List. In the bottom right corner, you'll see an Add button. Click on "Add", and when it brings up the "Add Server" dialog box, simply place "Gamer's Plane" in the Label box, and "mumble.gamersplane.com" (thanks, Keleth, for setting up that URL!) in the Address box. Don't change the port, add your username, and click OK. That's it! Click "Connect" and you're in!

Like I said at the beginning, it's a work in progress, so please bear with me on any issues. If anything happens and I have to take it down for a moment or two to fix it, I'll be sure to let everyone know before it happens.
Last edited May 26, 2016 1:57 pm
May 26, 2016 2:10 pm
A really big thanks to irvanovich for setting this up, unprompted mind you. This would be great if groups wanted to discuss chars, maybe do some live gaining in relation to the ongoing game, play other games together, etc. As brought up in the other thread, maybe "classes" or discussions on how to PbP?
May 26, 2016 2:13 pm
I can set up that channel easily enough when I get home...and if you want to register as a user on the server, Keleth, I'll get you set up with Admin privileges, so that if you see a channel that needs adding, you can throw it in there.

It's still kinda barebones at the moment...once I get everything set up, it'll be beautiful. I think. Maybe?
May 26, 2016 4:58 pm
Hey Irvan I'm not familiar with mumble, so forgive my ignorance, but I did a quick skim through the site and saw you have to pay for server space. If that's the case there is a program called discord, it does pretty much all you said without having to download anything, there is an option to though, and it's free to create a server and you can get as many rooms as you'd like. You already have the server made though so just an option.
May 26, 2016 5:15 pm
Hey HypCo...you have to pay for the server space if you go through mumble to set up your server. I have a VPS server that I haven't used very much with my current hosting plan, so I threw the mumble server software (free on Ubuntu ^_^) on there and called it a day. I'm already paying for the VPS, I may as well use it, right? :)

Discord is alright, and it's what I use on the rare occasion that I get to play games online with my IRL friends...but you have to set up any private servers through them, instead of downloading the software and installing it on your own. Plus, with the Mumble server, we can eventually get it set up to where if you already have a GP account, you'll be able to use the same credentials to log in to the Mumble server...that's a long term goal at this point, because my server isn't too happy with some of the protocols required (operator error, I'm sure...), but it's still an option that we might get to try one day.

Thanks for the input and feedback. It's always appreciated. :D
Last edited May 26, 2016 5:16 pm
May 26, 2016 5:20 pm
I actually looked into Discord after it was brought up in a different thread, but one thing I saw (and don't know if you can get around this): you have to request people into your group. For example, I setup a group for GamersPlane, but as far as I can see, there was no way for me to put up a link or something for anyone to join up, and it's too much work for me to invite every person who signs up to GP but wants to join in voice. If there was some way for me to manage who could join the Discord server (even if it meant hosting on GPs box), I'd be more than glad to set that up.
May 26, 2016 5:20 pm
I am TOTALLY going to use the heck out of this next week. maybe have some conversations and shoot the breeze with some of you people I'm in so many games with.

not sure about the roleplaying via the server, though. most of us are doing PBP because we don't have time for much else
May 26, 2016 5:24 pm
Eh, the roleplaying via the server thing could be a little tricky. There's no video chat, and you'd have to log in to some form of dice logger to make it really work well. It's entirely possible, but could be tricky all at the same time.
May 26, 2016 5:26 pm
Channel ideas, though: It's been mentioned in another thread about setting up a "training channel" of sorts to help introduce new PbP players to GP and its features. Any other requested channels at this point?
May 26, 2016 5:31 pm
wouldn't we be relying on people to just hang out in the channels until someone needs help? or we use the forums to schedule real time gametalk?
May 26, 2016 5:35 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
wouldn't we be relying on people to just hang out in the channels until someone needs help? or we use the forums to schedule real time gametalk?
Yup, you're on from now until Midnight Saturday night... drink coffee.
May 26, 2016 5:36 pm
Qralloq says:
darthoingoboingo says:
Yup, you're on from now until Midnight Saturday night... drink coffee.
Let's turn it into a regular talk show...we'll play music occasionally, to make sure you get a break now and then ;)
May 26, 2016 5:36 pm
Maybe have a regularly scheduled training session (once a month?) that people could be aware of and join in (to learn or to teach).
May 26, 2016 5:38 pm
njohn858 says:
Maybe have a regularly scheduled training session (once a month?) that people could be aware of and join in (to learn or to teach).
With the occasional "New Game" training session to teach people new games every now and again...I kinda like this idea.
May 26, 2016 5:38 pm
I think it might be better to have a thread where people sign up for lessons and then the guy who teaches the system (I guess some of us here would be willing to be official *insert system here* teacher) schedules a time that works best for everyone and does it over mumble...
May 26, 2016 5:41 pm
If it's game-specific, then definitely do it as-needed. But I was thinking more in the direction of general Gamers-Plane teaching. I'm paying close attention to the Getting New People Involved thread, which is influencing my thoughts here on how to use Mumble.

(I recognize my prev post was rather vague)
Last edited May 26, 2016 5:41 pm
May 26, 2016 5:46 pm
Thanks, irvanovich. That's pretty kind of you to shell out your own time and money to set up this server.

I don't know if I personally would be on this server, as my time commitments either don't see me in front of a computer, or aren't conducive to an audio format. However, I appreciate its availability and will likely create an account for the random chance I actually have the opportunity to participate.
May 26, 2016 5:46 pm
@Irvan No problem it was just a suggestion
@Keleth ill message you some links that might help as to not derail this thread.
Last edited May 26, 2016 5:47 pm
May 26, 2016 5:49 pm
Having been with a group who had an active online membership and wanted to build up a voice community, it's a long, slow process. It involves the dedicated who happen to be on Mumble, even if silent and no one else is on, having random conversations having nothing to do with the community itself, and building up events. GPs still small, voice chat will largely be unused, but it'll happen in time.

As for gaming through Mumble, I really just meant that there may be groups who find they want to do a short side mission over half an hour with voice, or to catch up a player who's absent. I don't mean to make it a "thing", just that it opens up the option.
May 26, 2016 5:51 pm
I can see myself logging in some nights for a couple of hours in the late evening in case anyone gets on. oh! there's also a mumble android app so you can use mumble over your phone...
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.