Post as dropdown

Oct 1, 2021 6:35 am
For the "Post As" dropdown, would it be possible to turn the list alphabetical, rather than by date of character creation? I'd also like to have all options already available before going into the "Advanced" section, not just my own as GM. And preferably not separated between mine and others' but I get that that part might not be a universal preference

(From Discord - Bowlofspinach)
Oct 1, 2021 6:38 am
I approve of this
Oct 1, 2021 8:57 am
Is there some way to include a custom "Post As" with a field for name and a spot for an image? I feel bad for certain DMs (Adam) that have to make 300 characters to have their name/image appear above his name when posting.
Oct 1, 2021 9:00 am
skeptical_stun says:
Is there some way to include a custom "Post As" with a field for name and a spot for an image? I feel bad for certain DMs (Adam) that have to make 300 characters to have their name/image appear above his name when posting.
If it were easy, I'd have done it - you know I feel that pain. Anything that involves avatar images is hard for me to work on, because my docker dev build can't handle uploaded images. I managed to bodge one in there for testing - but it was a struggle.
Oct 1, 2021 9:15 am
I have no idea how website code works, but is there a way to link to an image and have the image show up in the avatar box? Sort of like our images work in BBCode, but as a part of the website?

(I should not be suggesting things, I don't know my ass from my elbows when it comes to websites)

Trev the Tap

Adam

Oct 1, 2021 9:22 am
skeptical_stun says:
I have no idea how website code works, but is there a way to link to an image and have the image show up in the avatar box? Sort of like our images work in BBCode, but as a part of the website?

(I should not be suggesting things, I don't know my ass from my elbows when it comes to websites)
Interesting....

If I understand you correctly, a GM wanting a quick NPC would include something like this in their post:

Trev the Tap

...the system wouldn't render the tag in the post, but simply use it for the avatar image and name?
(I know that's not what you said, I tried to translate ass-elbow to how the existing code works)
Oct 1, 2021 9:27 am
I more meant outside the box, in the place of our avatar's image, but that's not a bad idea either and would be a lot easier to code. I've been doing that a bit in one of my games, experimenting with using an image to demonstrate who was speaking. I dropped an image below as an example, but having the NPC's name there would be nice, too.

EDIT: And some easier tools to resize images couldn't hurt either...

https://i.imgur.com/CL9uXj1.png
Last edited October 1, 2021 9:27 am
Oct 1, 2021 9:29 am
skeptical_stun says:
I more meant outside the box, in the place of our avatar's image, but that's not a bad idea either and would be a lot easier to code. I've been doing that a bit in one of my games, experimenting with using an image to demonstrate who was speaking.

EDIT: And some easier tools to resize images couldn't hurt either...

https://i.imgur.com/CL9uXj1.png
Yes - that's what I meant too. It'd be a tag that changes the posting avatar and name (basically what you'd have to create a character for at the moment).

This has hijacked Bowlofspinach's thread. Starting a new one.
Oct 1, 2021 9:32 am
Reminder of this discussion (Bowlofspinach logged this on Discord and, unsurprisingly, approves)

For the "Post As" dropdown, would it be possible to turn the list alphabetical, rather than by date of character creation? I'd also like to have all options already available before going into the "Advanced" section, not just my own as GM. And preferably not separated between mine and others' but I get that that part might not be a universal preference
Oct 1, 2021 3:02 pm
'Date Created' is one of the least useful sort orders.
'Most Recently Used' (and then sub-sorted by Frequency of use?) would be my preferred, but maybe not for Post as, so Alphabetical makes a good second choice. Choosing the order would be bonus.

Since this still includes NPCs, could we get a way to filter the list? Mainly just a checkbox to exclude items that are not not interesting.
Oct 1, 2021 4:13 pm
Most Recently Used would be even worse in my opinion because then I couldn't even go by "Hm, this is one of the earliest characters" like I do now
Oct 1, 2021 4:23 pm
Yeah. For 'games' lists most recent seems good, but not for 'post as'.

The ability to choose and swap the sort would be useful though, but is more work.
Oct 1, 2021 4:51 pm
bowlofspinach says:
Most Recently Used would be even worse in my opinion because then I couldn't even go by "Hm, this is one of the earliest characters" like I do now
I have lots of NPCs and that's exactly what I do too. A new NPC (the most common case)? They'll be at the bottom of the list. Someone they met at the start? That'll be the top.

I'm curious to see how much I'll use Skeptical_stun's NPC idea. If it works then this problem might disappear by itself.
Oct 1, 2021 8:45 pm
Haven't used these functions a ton yet, so abstaining from weighing in.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.