Better indie game support

Oct 2, 2021 3:16 pm
1. Choose a template. When creating a char sheet you can select a template from a curated list (we'll need to fix up that thread a bit).

2. Make custom game subtype an autocomplete for existing known subtypes (to help with consistency).

3. Filtering join a game by the custom game tags too.

4. Suggest "Advanced Rule Definitions" based on your game and custom game.

5. Rename "custom"?

6. We'll have a community advert space next to adverts soon. Perhaps that can be used to let people know about open games for lesser-known systems (pushing people into the tavern). A pretty Loop tutorial logo on the homepage is more enticing than yet-another-games-tavern line.
Oct 2, 2021 3:21 pm
Also, the equivalent of open vignettes for other systems might be nice. Some of us 5e die-hards might try something new if it was for only a month with pre-gen characters (and wasn't in 1990s Sweden).
Oct 2, 2021 3:23 pm
Maybe that's the community space (remember that you can have a set of these, different for players with and without games and they'll be chosen at random on each load) - "GP Indie game of the month"?
Oct 2, 2021 3:25 pm
Adam says:
1. Choose a template. When creating a char sheet you can select a template from a curated list (we'll need to fix up that thread a bit).

2. Make custom game subtype an autocomplete for existing known subtypes (to help with consistency).
Um... is this not a step in the wrong direction? Nice to offer such templates, but they should be a secondary feature offered for convenience. We don't want to 'define all the games', that just places the same limits of which games are offered.

I like the templates, and the suggested snippets, and the suggested dice codes, and such, but there should be addons, possibly after the game is made, not first steps.
Adam says:
5. Rename "custom"?
Why? To what?... and why?
Oct 2, 2021 3:27 pm
Adam says:
... "GP Indie game of the month"?
Urgh. Been involved in several of those, many using that exact title. Always felt a little... unclean.

I am not sure promoting 'indie games' is what we are looking for, is it?
Edit: 'exact' except for the 'GP'...
Last edited October 2, 2021 3:28 pm
Oct 2, 2021 3:30 pm
This is what happens when a "give me 5e or give me death saves" makes suggestions. I have no idea what I’m talking about.

You tell me what needs to be better.
Oct 2, 2021 3:38 pm
Adam says:
This is what happens when a "give me 5e or give me death saves" makes suggestions. I have no idea what I’m talking about.

You tell me what needs to be better.
:)
I don't think we need to to worry. We are heading there. If we want to support 'Indie' we need to let them be independent (yes, I know that that is naive and not what it means anymore, but whatever).

Custom games are popular, there are other efforts in the works to showcase all the games we have, and if that shows custom games being well supported then that is what we want. Not some promise that we support them, actual support and the ability to find games (which is always hard given the lower number each individual game system sees) not artificial support.

You can not engineer 'community'.
Oct 2, 2021 3:41 pm
Custom is fine for me.

Agree that the templates we've created aren't suggestions. They get stale with every new feature added. Some of them are very stale.

Suggestions for the Advanced Rules is great.

Pushing interest checks to the front page is a neat idea, a sort of revolving menu. Sticking to the five-to-ten most recently posted ICs would keep the stagnant or abandoned ones to a minimum.
Oct 3, 2021 12:30 am
Quote:
Also, the equivalent of open vignettes for other systems might be nice. Some of us 5e die-hards might try something new if it was for only a month with pre-gen characters (and wasn't in 1990s Sweden).
Good thing I just bought the Germany in the 80s book.
And I guess my Werewolf of Svartsjölandet game is kind of a vignette.
Quote:
Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't place this high on the list of priorities.
Quote:
I like this. Would it autocomplete to a term Keleth or someone else programmed in or based on existing games?
Quote:
3. Filtering join a game by the custom game tags too.
Yes
Quote:
4. Suggest "Advanced Rule Definitions" based on your game and custom game.
Yes
Quote:
5. Rename "custom"?
I don't have as much of a problem with the term as you do. And I can't think of a better one. But I'm not 100% happy with it either.
Quote:
6. We'll have a community advert space next to adverts soon. Perhaps that can be used to let people know about open games for lesser-known systems (pushing people into the tavern). A pretty Loop tutorial logo on the homepage is more enticing than yet-another-games-tavern line.
Not sure why this should only be for Custom games. I mean, I'm a customer (which is a brand new word I just made up that luckily doesn't already have a completely different meaning) but unless we want to rebrand GP as an indie rpg site, why not open up front page game ads to any game?
Oct 3, 2021 5:10 am
Custom is fine, as is "Other," or "Independent and Small Press," though the latter is probably a little too limiting.
Oct 3, 2021 4:10 pm
'Custom' is a good definition of the sheet type, 'Other' might be a better definition of the game type... We probably should not diverge the names, though.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.