[CLOSED] {5e: Core books} Artificer Extravaganza

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 3, 2021 4:31 am
"And when the great hammer falls, so they doom the lives of the enemies who come before them. In their work, the smith seals their fate."
-Hukinfingr Proverb

Greetings!

Welcome to the Maker’s Guild! Here in the Guild, we take tinkerer’s, fiddlers, and even cobblers. We come from all kinds of places and peoples with one thing in common. The mainlanders don’t have the creative minds to utilize skills and the will to get your hands dirty to make something great! Here on Hukinfingr island, we don’t care much about things passed down from the capital, because they rarely bother to meddle in our affairs. Whether it’s because they lack the backbone to come enforce their rules in person, or because they’d rather not defile themselves to be seen on our land is no matter. What matters is they leave us alone. While you are in the guild, you may use the facilities as you wish. We only ask that when the Guild calls, you answer. Just as Hukin steel binds many layers for better effect, so too must we work together to keep the Guild’s interests alive.

From our work, forms our destiny.
Guildmaster Bulgar gro-Dursch

Available references for game: PHB, XGtE, Tasha’s Cauldron

Background:
This is a 5th edition DnD game set in a homebrew world of my creation that I use in my home game (hence the crappy map, don’t judge). The gimmick for this game is that every PC is an artificer! The easiest way to tie everyone together is that they are part of the artificier’s guild, but I will allow other character stories, provided they will work with the rest of the party’s dynamic, etc. I plan to run some plotlines/quests to start out and see how it goes and will decide from there if it will become a longer running campaign or not.

Setting:
As I mentioned, this is the realm I created, where most locations have a somewhat Germanic-sounding name (because that’s what populates my mind when I’m trying to think of things). The starting location and where a large portion of at least the first campaigns will take place is on Hukinfingr Island, which is the island to the south off the mainland. It is a very rocky/mountainous land rich in mineral and metal resources. Due in part to these resources, but also due to the general disdain the mainland has for artifice the mainland holds, it became a hotbed for artificers and now houses the Guild. Besides artificers, the island is inhabited by a mix of orcs, dragonborn, tieflings and Drow. Due to the history of the island’s people in the Great War and the natural separation from the mainland, the mainland’s perceptions of Hukinfingr’s people and customs have been warped to the point that many consider it to be a curse on the realm, regardless of the reality of the situation.

https://i.imgur.com/cG09izf.jpg

Character Creation:
Everyone is an artificer! Please make a Level 3 artificer using the artificer class options in Tasha’s. Multiclassing will be allowed, but artificer will be the base class. Feel free to pick any race,etc in the 3 books used for this game (doesn’t have to be a native race to Hukinfingr), keeping in mind that Tasha’s optional rules will allow you to move ability scores away from traditional racial ability scores. Can either roll ability scores in the Character Creation Thread, use standard array, or point buy.

House Rules/DM style:
I roll behind the screen a fair amount. If DM’s rolling behind the screen bothers you, this might not be the game for you.
Not a house rule, but I don’t use critical fumble tables. I might have something special happen on a Nat 1, I might not.
Similarly, I don’t use Nat 1’s and Nat 20’s as automatic success or failures on ability checks.
Critical hits will be max damage plus a damage roll (ie crit on a 1d8 with a d8 roll of 4 would be 12 damage)
I will probably homebrew some crafting/potion stuff, given that it’s such a big part of artificers. If you have a good resource for this kind of thing, please let me know.
I typically do theater of the mind, so I’m not really used to using maps but I will try to utilize them more in this game when necessary or requested to help keep things moving.

Post Frequency: Ideally looking for people who can post 4-5 times per week. Weekends will be more open-ended and obviously stuff comes up.

New players are welcome. This game is explicitly friendly to marginalized groups.

Application process:
You can post a character concept here and I’ll look them over and send some invites out. I am planning on taking 4 characters, but if there are more, I might start a second group at some point if people are still interested.

P.S. Fairly new to DM'ing overall and never DM'ed on GP before, so bear with me.

Any other questions, please let me know.
Last edited January 16, 2022 1:20 pm
Oct 3, 2021 8:05 am
I would love to play an alluring tiefling woman, who is highly intelligent, has a wealthy and brilliant mentor who taught her how to make enchanted armor. She doesn’t really understand all of the Armor’s functionality, but she is also pretty aggressive, and really enjoys punching people.
Oct 3, 2021 11:53 am
One question, are you allowing firearms?

As for concepts, I am considering either a dragonborn alchemist researching the mystical power that be drawn from draconian bloodlines or a dragonborn artillerist that is trying to recreate the true breath weapon of his dragon ancestors.
Oct 3, 2021 3:14 pm
Sure. Why not. Are you thinking the musket and pistol from the DMG? Otherwise, if you wanted to use stats for a different weapon and re-skin it as a firearm, that's fine (i.e., you can re-skin a hand crossbow as a pistol).

Given how artificers work in 5e, you can either flavor your stuff as gunpowder/"real world" or arcane firearms, doesn't matter to me.
Oct 4, 2021 2:28 pm
I was thinking the pistol and musket but I will keep the reskinning in mind.
Nov 12, 2021 11:24 pm
Just had someone drop out. Looking for a 4th. Just starting gameplay posting. Our armorer just dropped out, so preference would be someone who wants to play armorer.

Edit: To be clear, I don't expect you to take over the existing character. You will make your own character.
Last edited November 13, 2021 2:36 pm
Nov 13, 2021 4:09 pm
OK. I'm into it if this concept fits your story:
A half-elf from noble (but no more rich) family. His gambling addiction got him into huge debt. Add his love affairs on top of that and there is no wonder he seek salvation on the island. Here he is forced to develop his natural tinkering abilities.
I want to role-play this arrogant half-elf growing as a person, learning meaning of "team work" and friendship.
Nov 14, 2021 4:18 pm
I'd be Interested if GreyWord doesn't work out, never Played an artificer before though and don't claim to understand them yet.
Jan 16, 2022 3:30 am
Putting this out again. We are looking for one more again to join the game in progress (though not far into the main storyline). Armorer would be preferred, based on the other subclasses being used, but if you really want to play a different, we can try to work with it.
Jan 16, 2022 5:39 am
Oooeh, this could be super interesting! I wouldnt mind playing an armorer. :)
Jan 16, 2022 11:41 am
It's a wonderful game! I've really been enjoying playing!
Jan 16, 2022 1:18 pm
Dramasailor says:
Oooeh, this could be super interesting! I wouldnt mind playing an armorer. :)
I will add you, so you can look over some of the forums, look over the setting, and get started on your character, etc. Let me know if you have any questions.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.