[LFP | Closed] Old School Essentials(OSR)

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 3, 2021 8:18 am
Greeting and salutations everyone, LegionChimera here. I seek to entertain a party of adventurers in an OSR game using OSE(Old School Essentials). For those unfamiliar, the ruleset is similar to the Basic/Expert 1e rules, as well as AD&D 1e. I'll be accepting players old and new, largely because I myself and of the latter.

I do not yet have an idea as to the style of game to run, so I'll put the question to the vox populi: would anyone interested in playing want dungeons, actual adventuring, or a mix of both?
If anything, I'm more than happy with running a collection of dungeons, allowing players and characters to come and go as they please. Otherwise, characters will travel throughout my homebrew world, becoming potential heroes of the realm.

https://www.enworld.org/attachments/ose4-png.117221/

I'll be expecting players to post roughly 3-4 times a week, with room for fluctuations as they come up.

As far as building characters go, rolls and concepts will be done in game via a thread, and we'll be using the advanced char gen rules. I'm choosing this option to stay in tune with an important concept that transcends games: inclusivity.

Indeed, inclusivity. Just as in my world where many people are welcome - so too are you. If you are LGBTQ+ and wish to portray as such with a character, you are not only welcomed to do so, but encouraged! Various avenues are available to everyone, should they wish to seek them out.

Upon choosing who to take on, I'll take up to six (6) people. It will largely be people I feel comfortable with bringing in that I'll invite.

If you have any questions, either post them here, send it via PM, or through discord(if you're on the GP Server).

I look forward to seeing everyone's interest and input!
Last edited October 13, 2021 7:08 am
Oct 3, 2021 2:33 pm
Been looking to play some OSE, so count me in! As for the game, I'd say let it develop gradually: start with a basic dungeon and revisit the direction afterwards, no need to plan long term for some grand arc.
Oct 4, 2021 10:49 pm
I'd be interested in giving the OSR thing a try, I've got plenty of 3.5e and 5e experience but I've never even rolled a character in any of the older editions.

I think I agree with the general sentiment of starting it off as a dungeon crawl and seeing what happens. I feel like it would be good to start off with something dense and a bit mechanical right off the bat to get properly familiar with the system.
Oct 5, 2021 5:03 am
Right, I hear you two. I do have a small dungeon at the ready to help familiarize new players and myself. It's not large, not too deadly, but still has elements to wary of.
Oct 7, 2021 3:27 am
So far, we have three people interested in playing. I'm still waiting on others to see if anyone else wants to join. I'll be ready to start once we have at least 4, so one more person. That won't close out the game, mind you. I'll still have the thread open if anyone want s to join after the game has been made/started.
Oct 7, 2021 4:32 pm
I'm a big fan of OSR, count me in!
Oct 7, 2021 10:25 pm
We have our minimum four then, let's get started!
Oct 7, 2021 10:45 pm
Unfortunately, I missed the fact that somaqm had already posted before sending me a PM via Discord, so I mistook them as another user. We NOW are at three players. I think I'll give it another few days to see if anyone else wants to join in before I make the game.
Oct 7, 2021 11:02 pm
I've been curious about OSE. I'd join your troupe for a single adventure, but probably not a campaign.
Oct 7, 2021 11:04 pm
I've recently become a huge fan of Hack and Crawl Campaigner which was made by Dustin Long and combines OSR with elements of DCC to create the greatest, most interesting and competent version of Old School D&D I've ever played. For anyone interested in checking it out, here is the free PDF:

Hack and Crawl Campaigner
Last edited October 7, 2021 11:58 pm
Oct 7, 2021 11:43 pm
If you can supply me with a copy of the rules, I'd be down to try a little adventure as well!
Oct 8, 2021 1:39 am
There is a free download of the basic rules, and a link to their SRD HERE
Oct 8, 2021 9:31 pm
Ok that's a full crew, let's do this!
Oct 12, 2021 7:44 pm
If you have room for one more, I am definitely be interested in a little old school adventure!
Oct 13, 2021 6:36 am
We do indeed have space, you make the final person!

I'll go ahead and get the game created, invites will go out either tonight or tomorrow.
Oct 13, 2021 7:08 am
To anyone wishing to join, this thread will reopen upon need.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.