Safety Tools

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 9, 2021 10:06 am
In order to make sure everyone feels safe and welcome in this game, I will be employing two Safety Tools: The X-Card and Lines and Veils
Oct 9, 2021 10:08 am
As part of the adventure, the following topics will come up in the course of the game:

- Body Horror
- Violence/Death
- Sexual Themes
- Suicide
The X-Card is an optional tool (created by John Stavropoulos) that allows anyone in your game (including you) to edit out any content anyone is uncomfortable with as you play. Since most RPGs are improvisational and we won't know what will happen till it happens, it's possible the game will go in a direction people don't want. An X-Card is a simple tool to fix problems as they arise.

To use, at the start of your game, simply say:

"I’d like your help. Your help to make this game fun for everyone. If anything makes anyone uncomfortable in any way… [draw X on an index card] …just lift this card up, or simply tap it [ place card at the center of the table]. You don’t have to explain why. It doesn't matter why. When we lift or tap this card, we simply edit out anything X-Carded. And if there is ever an issue, anyone can call for a break and we can talk privately. I know it sounds funny but it will help us play amazing games together and usually I’m the one who uses the X-card to help take care of myself. Please help make this game fun for everyone. Thank you!"
The X-Card is an option to skip past content that makes any player uncomfortable. As we are not playing in a physical space, we obviously can't use a physical X-Card, so instead, if anyone at any point is uncomfortable with where a scene is going or with something mentioned, you can simply post an X in any thread (or send it to me privately).
Feel free to add a clarification so that we others can more easily work around the unwanted content. This is not a requirement.
Lines and Veils are a safety tool that makes sure people can list things they don't want included in the game for whatever reason.
A Line describes something you don't want mentioned as part of the game at all, not 'on screen' and not in the narrative background. A Veil is something you don't want to see happen 'on-screen' but that you are fine with being included in the background.
[ +- ] Example: Torture
I'd like you all to check out this Google Docs (reused from the previous game) and tick any boxes that apply to you. It's completely anonymous. As far as I know, there is no way for me to see who ticked what box, just which boxes have been ticked. Feel free to also add new things that aren't listed on the Docs yet.
I also want to state here that I'm not doing this because I am planning to push any boundaries. Just because something doesn't end up ticked, doesn't mean it will be included. This is just for me to double-check everyone will hopefully be comfortable with everything I do end up including.

If you have trouble accessing or editing the document, let me know and I'll check if I messed anything up.
Oct 9, 2021 10:09 am
While not really a Safety Tool, there is one more thing I want to say before we start:
I have been in awkward situations before where I joined a game and then discovered that it wasn't for me but then felt awkward about leaving. If you end up not enjoying this game or if something happens that causes you to not have the time for it anymore, please feel free to leave anytime. I would appreciate a heads-up, with or without a reason, just so I know what's going on.
Not every game works for everyone, so if you are not enjoying a game and have lost interest, it's always a better solution (most of all for yourself), if you just leave to find something better suited rather than force yourself to stick with it out of commitment.

That said, I hope of course, that you will enjoy this game and stick with it :)

Thread locked