INTEREST CHECK - Heavy Metal Themed Fantasy 1Shot

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedWhat Lies BelowPrivate1 / dayQralloq
Are you ready for Metal?

For fans of heavy metal and fantasy RPGs, comes What Lies Below, the RPG Metal Opera, a "metallized" version of the current edition of the world's most popular RPG.

Gameplay will consist of short one-shot adventures inspired by the lyrics of a heavy metal song. The more visceral, the more epic, the more sanity shredding the better.

So grab your dice and fire up the tunes! It's time for the RPG Metal Opera to begin.

PLAYER SELECTION WILL BE HANDLED IN A DEDICATED INTEREST CHECK THREAD. Stay tuned 🤘 for more details.

Oct 24, 2021 5:27 pm
🤘 M.E.T.A.L. (Metal Edged Tales and Legends) 🤘

https://lastfm.freetls.fastly.net/i/u/ar0/3aa1b3f39c804854bd57e8a649742dae.jpg

🤘 The Pitch. Heavy metal and fantasy. Yeah! Dial that up to 11 and roll the bones. Is it epic enough for you? Can you handle the tower of Marshall's blasting your hair as you bang your head and dodge flails and whips?

Each adventure will take a song and convert that to game play. However, this isn't necessarily transcribing the lyrics to a plot, it is merely the broad brush within which to explore. In the end, this will be a fantasy game set in a fantasy world, more akin to the world of Conan than the typical settings of modern D&D. A Sword & Sorcery reimaging, not a Forgotten Realms recreation.

EPISODE 1 - EVIL INVADERS
Quote:
From hell they rise, with screams and cries
At death's own will
In frantic rage they set the stage
They start to kill
Evil Invaders: Death deception in the night
Evil Invaders: Corruption as they fight the fight
Evil Invaders: Spreading out to take command
Evil Invaders: The future of mankind at hand
Trapped in a cemetary, the adventurers are forced to battle the dead that rise from the graves around them.

https://t2.genius.com/unsafe/497x497/https%3A%2F%2Fimages.genius.com%2F9f442a73adb50cd95601fe827fc8dc77.600x600x1.jpg
🤘 The Game System and Rules Version. This will use the What Lies Below ("WLB") which is a metal opera, a fantasy that twists and focuses Dungeons & Dragons 5e down to its visceral core. Focusing on the action and none of the fiddly bits, you're set up for a dark and twisty tale of terror and nightmares, of blood and song. The games is available from Drivethrurpg for PWYW.
[ +- ] Trailer
🤘 Character Restrictions. WLB characters only. You keep your tabaxi monk for another game.

🤘 Game Duration and Post Frequency. I prefer daily posters, weekends included (it's understood that life comes first, and holidays may interfere). The game will likely last a month or two. I'm not going to push that though.

🤘 Specialized Software and Resources. None.

🤘 Player Experience Requirements. It's easy mode. No experience required.

🤘 How to Apply. I will select players based on interest shown here or by PM.

🤘 Marginalized Groups Welcome. This game is explicitly friendly to LGBT and any other minorities or marginalized groups. Metal doesn't judge, metal only rocks.

🤘 Adult Content or Controversial Themes. Loads of violence, drinking, sex and drugs and rock and roll. The barbarous hordes of evil to the breathless hope of the angelic host, all of the universe is encompassed by the vast imagery of heavy metal. Without explicit player buy in, anything controversial will be hidden behind veils, alluded to rather than painted in blood.

🤘 More Information: Game Details
Oct 24, 2021 6:47 pm
Having just returned from Knotfest all day yesterday, where there was an homage to Dio in a rendition of Holy Diver, by Killswitch Engage, I am glad to see this recruiting post. I have been watching it since the game page was put up.

I'd love to join in. I love metal-powered roleplaying. Over my many years of online roleplaying I have been a part of two D&D/metal-inspired campaigns. Unfortunately, both never reached a satisfying crescendo with their respective gamemasters ghosting before then.

A brief tidbit about me: I've been roleplaying for 48+ years and have been (and still am) an active supporter and part of the live music scene.
Oct 24, 2021 8:18 pm
This sounds really cool. I like metal music and have been missing going to concerts due to the pandemic. At the moment I'm quite fond of Amon Amarth.

I can post daily most days and check in on games frequently. I'm on European time zone and have no experience with 5e.
Oct 24, 2021 8:23 pm
I am interested in some head-banging antics.
Oct 24, 2021 9:02 pm
Awesome response. I've invited you all.

For anybody else interested, another will start soonish.
Oct 24, 2021 9:11 pm
I could go for some Metal, when you have space available. Keep me in the loop for waiting.
Oct 24, 2021 9:21 pm
I'll send you an invite, RageRed. Six is probably the limit though.
Oct 24, 2021 9:43 pm
Thanks, if its no problem.
Oct 25, 2021 10:15 am
Came her half expecting this to be a game of Mork Borg, ran into Manowar, Razor and a new game. Awesome!
Oct 25, 2021 8:19 pm
I'm hoping this works out, Dark_RaideR and we can try other songs, too.
Oct 26, 2021 12:31 am
If there's room, I'd like a spot :)
Oct 26, 2021 1:33 am
Like phoning Ticketmaster for Cradle of Filth tickets, sometimes you gotta call back and try again.
Oct 26, 2021 1:50 am
Now we know who that crank caller buzzing Ticketmaster is. Hmmm.
Nov 7, 2021 7:00 am
wow... I just finished watching the first two Heavy Metal animated movies and thought to myself ''wouldn't it be savage af if someone can make a TTRPG campaign based off this?'' then I find this thread...if you are still looking for players, I would really love to join this!
Last edited November 7, 2021 7:00 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.