Gamers exPlane YouTube Series - Season 2

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 4, 2021 9:25 pm
Season 2: What we do in the shadows, in these dark corners of the internet, is not widely studied or discussed. Play by post is older than the concept of roleplaying games itself, but the tools and practices have evolved as quickly as the internet gave us a new medium for play.

In season 1, I started the conversations, spoke to those who answered the call, and together we discovered some of our similarities and differences.

In season 2, Gamers exPlane will take the next step. Together we'll discuss in detail many of the issues that we discovered in Season 1, and try to harvest from a garden of voices a bouquet of solutions.

Join me, in Season 2 of Gamers exPlane.

The Team: I sought a few of you for advice, and many people have contributed to the development. Among them, Lavtodd, Windyridge, Len, Skeptical_Stun, Adam, Kalajel, Antiproduct, Remnant, Harrigan and Keleth have all given me advice or feedback. Many others contributed as well.

The Mission Statement: Gamers Plane is an amazing, inclusive community, full of positivity and respect. I want to construct not criticize; build everything, destroy nothing; find common ground and avoid divisive topics; shine a spotlight on how normal and human we all are.
Next Steps: I have begun interviews for season 2. The format will be more documentary format, where a single topic will be discussed with my overview or thesis back up with clips from a multitude of voices, rather than the one on one discussions we saw in season 1.

In addition, some new faces will join the chorus, and we'll get to know them, too.

I'll also be reviving the Qralloqian Lore, QQ&AA, Meme of the Week, and Bad Accent Action News segments.

I hope to have the interviews completed by early December, and then begin rolling out weekly videos mid-December or so. In the end, season 2 might encompass about a dozen hour long videos. It will largely depend on how quickly I can learn to efficiently edit so many clips together.
Nov 4, 2021 9:31 pm
Quote:
Bad Accent Action News
:)
Nov 4, 2021 9:57 pm
I’m super excited for season two. It might even be edging out the last expanse book in my anticipation rankings.
Nov 5, 2021 5:47 am
Looking forward to it, Qralloq -- and thanks from the community for the *hours and hours* of time and effort this is going to take. Ambitious and cool stuff.
Nov 5, 2021 8:40 am
Ohh goody! Excited to see what you come up with!
Nov 5, 2021 1:24 pm
Can't wait to see some new faces and hear a few more bad accents. How about an Irish or Welsh accent for Bad Accent News? Those can't be hard. :-)
Nov 5, 2021 1:38 pm
Love the idea! Can't wait! :)
Nov 5, 2021 2:06 pm
Qralloq says:
It will largely depend on how quickly I can learn to efficiently edit so many clips together.
Do you need some help with the video editing? I'm not a total noob with video editing
Nov 5, 2021 3:29 pm
I know nothing about real video editing, but I can create a ridiculous and unnecessary trailer (if you tell me which tv intro I'm supposed to be ripping off).

Nov 5, 2021 5:37 pm
Probably needs to be in the vein of Too Many Cooks at this point.
Nov 5, 2021 6:08 pm
Looking forward to these! Thanks as always.
Jan 3, 2022 3:43 am

I'm hoping to have the first video up the Friday after next, January 14.
Jan 14, 2022 2:52 am
Hoping isn't getting me there. Not finished editing yet so it will be Saturday before I get the first episode loaded.
Jan 14, 2022 3:53 am
No hurry, Oscar season just ended, so you've got a while until the next deadline!
Jan 14, 2022 11:34 pm
Herculean effort, I imagine, Qralloq -- cheers for undertaking it at all!
Jan 15, 2022 10:35 pm
Season 2, Episode 1

Ten of us, eleven if you count me, discuss live gaming as compared to play-by-post.
Jan 16, 2022 7:16 am
Thanks for putting out quality content, Qralloq.

Timestamps for the different segments would be convenient, as would nameplates or introductions for those interviewed.
Jan 16, 2022 8:19 am
A little feedback, when showing several people, why not keep the username under the images. You have the room :)
Usecase would be if I wanted to see one specific users answer.

https://i.imgur.com/ZXT3inj.png
Jan 21, 2022 2:27 pm
Here's episode 2, on GM prepping styles. Some really good advice.

Additional formatting to announce the next speaker, and with persistent name tags.

Season 2, Episode 2

Podcast version will be up in ten hours or so. Edit: Podcast has been pushed out to the usual haunts.
Jan 22, 2022 5:42 am
Thanks again for pulling these together, Q. Cool stuff!
Jan 22, 2022 6:20 am
Another means of prepping I should have talked about -- just soaking yourself in appropriate media. I know a GM who runs mostly PbtA and FitD style games -- games where traditional prep is non-existent or very light, and he swears by watching movies, reading books, listening to music, reading comics and otherwise marinating himself in the genre he's about to run / emulate. And the other stuff I don't think any of us really go in to -- searching for an saving the right images, maps, portraits, etc.
Jan 28, 2022 7:18 pm
I'm behind on my posts. Two more episodes are up, with some modifications to the presentation as suggested by the viewers.
Season 2, Episode 2 - On GM Prepping Styles

Season 2, Episode - When do you want to GM or play in a RPG?

Podcasts have been uploaded too.
Feb 5, 2022 7:53 pm
Episode 4!

An interview with Gamersplane.com user @Falconloft. We discussed his history with RPGs and Play by Post gaming, how gaming works for him, with just a little bit of 13th Age fanboying.

Player vs Player - Qralloq v Falconloft

Also published as a podcast in the usual haunts.
Feb 5, 2022 10:34 pm
I was in the mood for some listening today, so I watched this episode - great work, you two! (I'd love to watch more, but I just don't ingest podcast-adjancent stuff well, get easily distracted.) For all that I'm not into noir, it was very interesting to learn of it staples and the like, and I share Falconloft's love for 13th Age; his fault, since I learned of it from him.

So how are these noir game plans going, @Falconloft? ;) Did you play it since November/December? Or still cooking it up?
Also loved the mention of Feng Shui. It needs love, I wish there were more Feng Shui games on the site.

...The only problem for me is the audio balance in this episode. Falconloft is so much quieter than you, Qralloq, and listening in headphones was a fine line between either not hearing the words of getting slightly deafened. I found the balance in the end though, so it's still great!
(Also you lost n in Falconloft in the YouTube title. :P)
Last edited February 5, 2022 10:51 pm
Feb 6, 2022 6:49 am
Falcoloft!

Agreed, good episode, cool takes on gaming in the frame of PbP, 13th Age, PbtA, etc. Very curious as to whether @Falconloft has kept looking for a Noir system... there are lots of them out there. I too love Noir, and in fact perhaps the best one-on-one PbP I've ever played in was a Noir game where I (the player) wrote the whole thing in first person, Sam Spade style. Loved it. We used this:

https://i.imgur.com/5B4k9XM.png

...now pretty hard to find. But there's also Noir World, Gumshoe / Cthulhu Confidential / Trail of Cthulhu, The Big Crime, and A Dirty World. And generics like Fate and SWADE can also be tuned down a bit to work, IMO.

Edit: Forgot about Secrets & Lies and The Noir Hack, as well.
Last edited February 6, 2022 6:51 am
Feb 10, 2022 4:54 am
Qralloq says:
Here's episode 2, on GM prepping styles. Some really good advice.
And of course, sitting here watching myself, I recall the name of the program I was trying to remember... TableSmith. Seriously, it is a great time-saver. Check it out and tell Bruce I sent you! It's a $10 Shareware program, but it isn't crippled and you can use it limitlessly, with just a nag about every five rolls. But really, it's well worth the price.
Last edited February 10, 2022 5:00 am
Feb 11, 2022 2:01 pm
Episode 5!

I discussed with nine GamersPlane.com users the idea of balancing scenes between combat/action, intrigue/drama/dialogue, and mystery/investigation.

YouTube link

Podcast version had also been uploaded.
Feb 14, 2022 3:32 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
So how are these noir game plans going, @Falconloft? ;) Did you play it since November/December? Or still cooking it up?
I think I have the planning done, just have to find time to try it out!
Feb 18, 2022 12:38 pm
Episode 6: Dealing with games that seem to be slogging along.

Episode 6 on YouTube and podcast version out, too.

Feb 25, 2022 12:25 pm
Episode 7: what is you favorite RPG system for play by post?

Direct link

Podcast available, also.
Feb 28, 2022 4:57 am
Thanks again for editing these together, Q. Good stuff.
Mar 18, 2022 10:55 am
And the Season 2 Finale, my interview with WhtKnt, followed by a review of the new character sheet options, and a special behind the scenes look at Games exPlane.

Mar 18, 2022 11:08 am
I like seeing these and putting faces to names! Very entertaining, thanks for making these!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.