⚙️ Background

Nov 22, 2021 5:03 pm
For two years, Icewind Dale has languished in an endless night. The sun never peeks above the horizon, trapped beneath Auril's aurora.

The Ten-Trails pass, the Sword Coast's main route to The Frozen North, is impassible. Superstition and fear take hold as the Ten Towns slowly die in darkness.

Icewind Dale is a place to which people with secrets flee, but the frozen land of Icewind Dale is ancient and has secrets of her own.
Nov 22, 2021 5:04 pm
Rime of the Frostmaiden is a long WotC adventure, and completing it will take over a year, possibly two.

This game is a public forum.

The adventure starts as a sandbox. Don't look for "the main quest". Just explore the Ten Towns (or as many as you feel like) and get involved with the world. Imagine your character is on holiday somewhere dark, miserable, cold, devoid of hope and joy, and where everybody regards you with suspicion.

I have a rules-light style of DnD 5e play that isn't to everyone's taste. I'm interested in epic scenes, your flawed characters and their tragic stories. But I also enjoy silliness and ridiculousness.

Because this is a long adventure, we'll need some breaks. Let us know if you're going on holiday or will be away for a while.
Nov 22, 2021 5:07 pm
Icewind Dale is the final refuge, the last last chance. This is an adventure about secrets and isolation. Your character should have something they're hiding from, running from or a defining shame. There are random character secrets in the book too if you want me to roll one for you.

Because this is a long adventure, we'll be spending a lot of time with these characters, so they need to be interesting. Why did your character stab a man in Gauntlgrym? Just to watch him die?

Some DMs avoid character death and permanent injury. I'm not one of those DMs.
Nov 22, 2021 5:20 pm
I aim for PG-13. Let's try this in IMDB style:

Sex & nudity Mild

It's too cold for nudity. There's no sexual content. I'd say "None", but I'm saying Mild just in case I've forgotten something.
Violence & Gore Severe

It's D&D. There will be blood, guts, gore, ichor, hemolymph, ectoplasm, and all sorts of sticky ickiness.
Profanity Mild

I might use occasional profanity for emphasis.
Alcohol, Drugs & Smoking Mild

Tobacco and alcohol use.
Frightening & Intense Scenes Severe

It's a horror adventure. There's ritual sacrifice, cannibalism, mental assault, kidnapping, torture, possession, and parasites. It's dark in the north, and innocent people will die, potentially children too. But I'm not very good at writing horror, so maybe it won't be too bad.
Daft accents Severe

I have a problem. I just can't stop myself.
If something, anything, makes you uncomfortable then just ask to pause the game so we can discuss it and resolve it.

Let's remember that we're all friends trying to enjoy a game together. We don't want anybody to feel hurt or uncomfortable.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.