đź’¬ Out of character and chat

Nov 22, 2021 5:24 pm
For general chatter, but I'm not fussy about chat ending up in game threads.

We'll use this for character creation too.
Nov 23, 2021 7:31 am
Welcome. I know some of you from other games.

If any of you don't have access to rule books then let me know. If you create a DnD beyond character (which you can do for free) then we can add them to a DnDBeyond campaign. You can then access my shared rule books on DnD Beyond for free.

RotF is very character-driven. You shouldn't worry too much about optimising for combat. It's more important to have an interesting character (or one who becomes interesting over time) who interacts with the characters around them.
Nov 23, 2021 10:41 am
Basic rules
Here's a link to 5e's basic rules. Part 1 details character creation, but give me a shout if anything is unclear.

Ability scores
Use the standard array of 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 or point buy.
Here's a point buy calculator: https://chicken-dinner.com/5e/5e-point-buy.html

Race/heritage
Tasha's has relaxed the rules on race. If you don't have Tasha's then you can read about the changes here: AL supplement - Appendix 1.

Basically, you can apply the ability bonuses wherever you want and swap out proficiencies/skills. Nobody is stopping you from creating a stereotypically tough 'n' gruff dwarf, but Tasha's gives you other options too.

Background
There's no problem with swapping skills and proficiencies - it's in the PHB. So pick the background that suits your character rather than the one that gives you the proficiencies you want.
PHB says:
You might want to tweak some of the features of a background so it better fits your character or the campaign setting. To customize a background, you can replace one feature with any other one, choose any two skills, and choose a total of two tool proficiencies or languages from the sample backgrounds.

Here's a guide to manually filling out your Gamers' Plane DnD 5e sheet.

Alternatively, if you create your character on DnD beyond then you can use their step-by-step character creation utilities. A lot of stuff is hidden behind a paywall unless you're in a campaign, so I'd recommend:
Creating an empty DnD Beyond character
PM me a message so I can add the character to the campaign
Finish customising your character
Install and use the chrome extension to import the character from DnD Beyond into your Gamers' Plane character sheet.
Nov 23, 2021 10:51 am
Hello everyone! I’ve played with a few of you before so it’s nice to see some familiar avatars? faces. And it’s great to meet the ones I haven’t played with yet :) And thank you Adam for inviting me!

My first character concept was this: a clumsy, reckless, and overconfident Tempest Cleric who thinks he’s all the rage (while also containing quite a bit of rage [multiclass barbarian or something perhaps]). He doesn’t really know who gives him powers, but he doesn’t really care, they’re pretty cool though right? He’ll presumably be humbled pretty quickly, but I don’t wanna plan too much character development yet. Out of combat though, he’s boisterous, fun to party with, and loves a good campfire story. I was thinking about leaning more into a melee bruiser type cleric rather than support or healing, so if someone else wants to play a support/healing class there wouldn’t be too much stepping on each others’ toes.

I am very much 1,000% still willing to change concepts though and ready to be flexible, can’t wait to hear your guys’! :)
Last edited November 23, 2021 10:52 am
Nov 23, 2021 11:01 am
Did you have any ideas about which god you were going to follow?

Nov 23, 2021 11:36 am
aquafina sent a note to Adam
Nov 23, 2021 12:04 pm
Adam sent a note to aquafina
Nov 23, 2021 12:13 pm
Nov 23, 2021 12:36 pm
MOAR secret notes. Sorry to be antisocial, we're discussing character secrets.

Nov 23, 2021 12:47 pm
Oh, that makes it so much better. Those notes that you were wondering about...yep! They're secrets that you will never know until they doom your party so carry on and ignore the whispers!
Nov 23, 2021 12:53 pm
Lol.

Adam sent a note to CherokeeWind
Nov 23, 2021 12:56 pm
Hi, everyone! I'm CW and it's a pleasure to be able to game with all of you.
Nov 23, 2021 1:03 pm
To add a private note:
1. Hover over the dropdown arrow next to the red document icon.
2. Click the names of the people you want to send the note to. A tick will appear next to their names.
3. Click "Add note"

Qralloq has a video showing how to use notes functionality:
[ +- ] Qralloqian Lore - Gamers Plane Tips & Tricks - Using Notes
Nov 23, 2021 1:26 pm
Ah yes, more delicious secrets :P
aquafina sent a note to aquafina
Nov 23, 2021 1:33 pm
You're going to do WHAT to them?!!

Nov 23, 2021 1:36 pm
Oh, don’t even get me STARTED! You wouldn’t BELIEVE what she said! It was,
Nov 23, 2021 3:28 pm
Hey gang! I haven't played with any of you before, but I recognize some names from floating around on the site. And I have to say, I'm excited to finally have the opportunity to play through this story. My own homebrew games all tend to start in a town called Frost Fjord which is very heavily ripped from the map of Easthaven from the original Icewind Dale game.

In regards to this game, I'm playing around with a few concepts, but I'm always happy to let others pick their characters first. I'd also be interested in taking a Secret (or choosing between two) as a prompt! I'm definitely interested in a character who tends more to the wilderness than town, but I have a few towny concepts as well.
Nov 23, 2021 3:54 pm
Hey @cowleyc!

What sort of secret are you after on a scale of dark to light? I'll pick something out.
Nov 23, 2021 4:02 pm
@Adam, I've enjoyed playing the fun, happy character with a dark secret in the past, so let's stick with that!
Nov 23, 2021 4:05 pm
Adam sent a note to cowleyc
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.