[CLOSED] ❄️ Rime of the Frostmaiden

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 22, 2021 8:24 pm
Auril, the Frostmaiden, is not some mere demon prince, vampire, lich, beholder crime lord, or archdevil - she's a god - and a cold-hearted one at that. For two years, Icewind Dale has languished in an endless night. The sun never peeks above the horizon, trapped beneath Auril's aurora.

The Ten-Trails pass, the Sword Coast's main route to The Frozen North, is impassible. Superstition and fear take hold as the Ten Towns slowly die in darkness.

Icewind Dale is a place to which people with secrets flee, but the frozen land of Icewind Dale is ancient and has secrets of her own.
Rime of the Frostmaiden is a long WotC adventure, and even posting daily, completing it will take over a year - possibly two.
If you enjoy crunchy games and poring over handbooks optimising your character's abilities, then I'm not the right DM for you. I have a rules-light style of DnD 5e play that isn't to everyone's taste. I'm interested in epic scenes, your flawed characters and their tragic stories. I know that some people never bother reading these disclaimers in their rush to apply, so please include the work 'ice' if you post below so I know you're not one of those people. But I also enjoy silliness in my games.
[ +- ] IMDB style content warnings

My goal is to start the game on December 1st.
Last edited November 24, 2021 10:02 am
Nov 22, 2021 8:34 pm
Ice Ice Baby!!! - sounds fun.
Nov 22, 2021 8:43 pm
Nothing would warm the ice in my heart more than getting to play in this game :) I'm interested!
Last edited November 22, 2021 8:44 pm
Nov 22, 2021 8:43 pm
Look!
Hat removed from head- check
Hat appropriate for winter conditions although style IS for all seasons-check
And a certain word is plainly visible-check
https://i.imgur.com/fTsN4rf.png
Last edited November 22, 2021 8:46 pm
Nov 22, 2021 8:44 pm
Work 'ice'? I am sure all the residents of that dale (dalians?) know about 'work ice'.

I only have the original DnD 5e books (and SCAG, but we don't talk about that one anymore) and have not looked at DnD in a while. If I need other books, I should be able to borrow them (maybe on this DnD Beyond thing I keep hearing about), let me know what I need.

As always, I am happy to play anything, so --if I am part of this-- I will let the other choose characters first and fill in the gaps as needed. If anyone wants me to play something specific (a foil to your gem, maybe:) let me know, we can talk about it.
Nov 22, 2021 8:55 pm
My heart yearns for the Arctic after the years I lived there. The dark winters and bright summers, the practical ways of life and the traditions that never seem to die. This is exactly what I look for in my gaming. I'd love to throw my hat in the ring for this game.

However, I would happily stand aside for any new players, since this seems like a perfect opportunity for them.
I had to reread the posting after seeing so many people making 'ice jokes'. It seems that out of everything, that was the one line I missed. Ice could scream at myself sometimes. (In-game puns will be much better)
Last edited November 23, 2021 3:58 am
Nov 22, 2021 9:13 pm
Whenever I see the title, I always think of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner," where
The ice was here, the ice was there,
The ice was all around:
It cracked and growled, and roared and howled,
Like noises in a swound!

And then I think of Iron Maiden's poetic epic of the same title. Maybe playing in a RotF game will quell this cold earworm!

Len

Nov 23, 2021 1:39 am
I got left in the cold
When our Frostmaiden went on hold.
We never even got to Bryn Shander.

No let's see this story told
By friends 'round a table, new and old
I've loved the ice since the days I typed command dir.

(oof 🤣)
Nov 23, 2021 3:31 am
I'm interested, but I feel like I may falter in a 1/day game. If you def wanna hit that pace, I probably shouldn't join; I'd slow the game.
Nov 23, 2021 3:56 am
I think I'd like to apply for this game.
Can't help but think it would be fun.
Everything about what you said sounds great.

That spells ICE and I don't think I have the mental capacity to min-max, so there's that. Lay it on me (please).
Nov 23, 2021 4:01 am

Ice Ice Baby
Ice Ice Baby
Alright Stop
Collaborate and Glisten
Like the Rime on Frostmaiden’s mittens
Cold hands grabbing hold of me tightly
Could be a hag coming for me nightly
Will it ever stop?
Yo, it’s a drow
Turn on the lights and It’ll let go
Lloth’s priests now making curses like vandal
Uh-oh a Yochlol, homie ain’t no candle

OK, sorry that was bad. If that didn’t turn you off I’m very interested in this game! The disclaimer is much more to my preferred style of play and I’ve never played this one before. I’m in a few vignettes but otherwise been looking for a longer term game.
Last edited November 23, 2021 4:30 am
Nov 23, 2021 5:20 am
would like to join this campaign again...

hopefully we at least finish one town lol
Nov 23, 2021 7:18 am
Thank you everyone for your interest. I'm going to close this for applications now.

There are a number of you with very few active games. I didn't expect that, and I'll be prioritising you.

That's: Keleth, CherokeeWind, aquafina, Dsquid, and cowleyc.

Sorry Paximilian, I see you have only two active games too, but I had to draw a line somewhere. I hope you get into the CoC game that's starting.
Keleth says:
I'm interested, but I feel like I may falter in a 1/day game. If you def wanna hit that pace, I probably shouldn't join; I'd slow the game.
That's okay. We can (and probably should) slow it down from 1/day!

It's a long campaign, and we'll need to find a steady rhythm that works for everyone. I did see one game where the GM posted only on certain days to create a predictable pace - I thought that was an interesting idea. We can discuss exactly what the posting schedule should be in the OOC.
Again, thank you everyone for your interest, and I hope to see you in other games in the future.
Nov 23, 2021 11:46 am
I would very much enjoy playing a Barbarian Zealot in this campaign. Very much.

Len

Nov 24, 2021 3:42 am
Thanks Adam, I wish you the very best of luck with this game. Looks like a great crew!
Nov 24, 2021 7:25 am
Jomsviking says:
I would very much enjoy playing a Barbarian Zealot in this campaign. Very much.
Sorry mate, it's closed. I didn't expect so many people to apply so quickly. I closed it once I saw I had a full party taking only people with few games.

However, this will be my third RotF - and I'm sure there will be a fourth.
Nov 30, 2021 3:36 pm
Ahh sad I missed this.

Please keep me in mind for any other adventures Adam!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.