[CLOSED] Call of Cthulhu 7e - Quick Start

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 23, 2021 2:50 am
Hello, my name is Data, and I have two short-form CoC games I would like to offer those here at Gamers Plane. This will not be my first time running these scenarios, but this will be my first time running anything on GP, so I ask that you please bear with me while I get the hang of things. The two games I will be running are The Lightless Beacon and Dead Light, which are both survival-horror scenarios that take place over the course of one dark and stormy night. Both games allow up to 4 players, and I believe they are especially easy to play with pre-generated characters.

Setting: 1920s United States is the technological and aesthetic setting, but as needs to be stated when interacting with Lovecraft's work, these games are not going to portray the social and civil bigotry present in that era or held by Lovecraft himself. Players and characters of any ethnicity, gender, or sexuality are welcome.
Resources: Call of Cthulhu 7e Quick Start (the PDF is free on Chaosium's official website)
Experience: All levels welcome, including beginners!
Posting Frequency: 1 per day*

*This includes weekends.
The Lightless Beacon
Quote:
You don't think it could get any darker. Even before the sun set, over an hour ago, the sky was near-black - covered by the sinister, churning mass of storm-clouds. High winds and waves ram the mixed passenger and cargo vessel at uneven intervals, and the crew of the SS Essex County has long since stopped paying any mind to their few passengers as they hurry about deck, preparing for the oncoming storm.

You hear the crackle of static - then the captain's voice comes, distorted, through the loud-speaker. "Attention - this is the captain speaking. Due to imminent weather conditions, we will be making land at Folly Poi -." Static again as the ship is rocked violently to one side by a particularly large wave. You don't need to hear the rest - it's evident that your trip to Rockport is about to be diverted - and, as the ship adjusts its course, your eyes are drawn to the singular point of bright light in the darkness.

A lighthouse. Your single reminder that there is life - civilization - beyond the confines of this small ship, and not just the violent, writhing waves and unending darkness. You feel almost relieved.

Then, the light goes out.

You and the rest of the company aboard the SS Essex County are finally plunged into true darkness, and you can almost feel the depths of the ocean yawning below...
GM Notes: I find this one to be especially useful for beginners, as it is fairly straightforward and comes with pre-gen characters already linked to the plot. However, it is also a fun time for any level of experience.
Content Warnings: Death/mutilation, classic Lovecraftian horror
Characters: Pre-Generated for this Scenario

The Antiques Dealer: Windyridge
The Bureau Agent: PixE
The Marine Biologist: Paximilian
The Sailor: NABO
Dead Light
Quote:
You feel a dull sense of resignation as the rain finally begins to patter down upon the roof of the old Ford Model T. You gave it a good run, but the downpour currently overtaking the vehicle is already as thick as a sheet and the headlights can barely illuminate the road ahead as it is. Getting to Atlanta before tomorrow's teaching convention is already a lost cause, but you and your colleagues have not quite settled on a plan ‘B’.

The Model T slows to a crawl, doing its best not to lose traction - that’s the last thing you need. As it maneuvers its way around a small bend, you can just make out a faint light through the rain. Well, that’s a relief - there is supposed to be a gas station and 24-7 diner around here - a place where you can wait out the storm.

It’s… strange though. It’s not where you expected the gas station to be. And that light… wait... is it a light? You're suddenly not sure why you thought so. A sudden chill runs down your spine, but before you can examine the feeling any further, a flash of lightning blinds your vision.

The car lurches. You have just enough time to register that there is someone standing in the road - a teenage girl, not much older than one of your students, with a look of absolute terror etched into her features - before you and your colleagues swerve sharply to avoid her.
GM Notes: I fell in love with this scenario, as I feel it really captures the essence of this genre. The pre-gens here were not part of the original scenario, but I believe they mesh well with the story.
Content Warnings: Death/mutilation, cosmic horror, child-death (mentioned), insanity, ableism
Characters: Pre-Generated or created with Quick Start rules

The Engineering Teacher: pending
The Phys. Ed. Teacher: Stefron
The Biology Teacher: SeaJay
The Geography Teacher: Mephistophilis
Last edited November 30, 2021 8:54 pm
Nov 23, 2021 3:14 am
I'd love to play Dead Light, I've a fair bit of Call of Cthulhu experience but I'm always looking for more. From a teacher perspective who can resist that old classic the geography teacher? Leather elbow patches and progressive politics, even in the 1920s.

Daily posting is a little fast for me but I can keep up I think.
Nov 23, 2021 3:51 am
I would be interested in playing the Lightless Beacon. I am leaning towards the marine biologist. Do you have sheets you would send us for the pre-gens?

Also, for experience, I have only done one game of CoC. I was the Keeper for the scenario in the Quick Start guide for my two brothers, so I am very much a beginner.
Nov 23, 2021 5:19 am
Awesome! It is great to have you both!

Mephistophilis -- if daily posting ends up being too fast, I can always slow it down. These are definitely quicker-paced stories, though.

Paximilian -- yes, I will send out the pre-gen sheets once we have all the players. They can be used as-is or slightly modified, so I will wait until we have all 4 players before I go into detail about them. Lightless Beacon is a great starting-scenario for beginners - I actually prefer it to The Haunting for complete newbies, though I do like The Haunting as well.
Nov 23, 2021 6:47 am
The post is marked as closed, so not sure, but if you'd like to have a total CoC newbie aboard, I'd love to play the Sailor in The Lightless Beacon.
Nov 23, 2021 7:13 am
Hi NABO! Thanks for letting me know, I accidentally still had it closed! I am definitely still taking additional players, as I want to get all the spaces filled up.

I would rather people post here than apply directly though, since there are pre-gen characters I will have set up, once I fill all the slots.
Nov 23, 2021 7:39 am
Data says:
Mephistophilis -- if daily posting ends up being too fast, I can always slow it down. These are definitely quicker-paced stories, though.
Great, looking forward to it! Don't worry about the pace, I'll adapt to whatever is needed.
Nov 23, 2021 4:57 pm
Its been a few versions of CoC since I played/ran but love the setting and would be interested in the Engineering Professor.
Last edited November 23, 2021 4:59 pm
Nov 23, 2021 5:59 pm
I’m brand new to CoC and to PbP but I’d love to give it a shot, I’d be interested in Dead Light as the bio teacher!
Nov 23, 2021 10:50 pm
I would like to take the last seat at Dead Light if it is still open.
This sounds like a great scenario. I think I can pull off being a hard and stern PE teacher.
I have some experience with CoC here on GP.
Nov 23, 2021 11:55 pm
Awesome! I got a few people who showed interest via PMs, so I think I might have both games full now! Everyone should have received and invite. I will be posting up some information in the game forum about getting setup, then once everyone is ready to go we can get started!
Nov 30, 2021 8:48 pm
Hello! I am reopening this recruitment to look for 1 more player for the "Dead Light" game (see first post in this thread for details). Specifically, I am looking for someone who will take the Engineering Teacher pre-gen character. Set up is very easy, and we are still near the beginning of the game, so it should not be difficult to catch up on what has occurred so far.

This game is first-come-first-served and will be a short-length oneshot. Go ahead and post here if you would like to join and I will send you an invite, as well as what you need to get started.

Thank you for your interest!
Nov 30, 2021 8:55 pm
Sorry for the posts back to back, but one of my players might have a replacement, so I am closing this again for now.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.