Ask Me Anything: bowlofspinach

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 26, 2021 8:22 am
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: bowlofspinach
Pronouns: she/her
Favorite Games: Smallville RPG, Tales from the Loop, Things from the Flood

This AMA will run until 03 December 2021.
Nov 26, 2021 8:32 am
I'll start with an easy one. What is the story behind your username?
Nov 26, 2021 10:15 am
What's your favorite system and why?
Nov 26, 2021 10:22 am
How much time do you spend on Gamers' Plane, and are you at all worried that the amount of time you spend here is unhealthy?

Something about horse-sized ducks?
Last edited November 26, 2021 2:14 pm
Nov 26, 2021 11:15 am
-How hard is it being a moderator on GP and it's discord?
-Have you considered using severe punishment on users? What about international laws?
-How did you got into RPGs?
-There's a local dish; spinach and rice stew. Would you consider trying it? Would that be sort of cannibalism in your case?
Nov 26, 2021 1:44 pm
What do you you do for a living and what do you wish you did for a living?

What room are you in right now and what are some of your favorite things in it?
Nov 26, 2021 4:34 pm
Alrighty, let me get to answering the first wave of questions
Quote:
I'll start with an easy one. What is the story behind your username?
I think I've shared this before but it's always a fun story. I heard about GP on a podcast and decided to give it a shot. But I was pretty sure I wouldn't enjoy it or stick with it, so I decided not to go with any of my regular online usernames and just use something random. I was thawing a bowl of frozen spinach at the time and that caught my eye, so I guess I'm a bowl of spinach now.
I have been considering changing my name but at this point, I think it's too established here...
Quote:
What's your favorite system and why?
I listed Loop/Flood and Smallville. I like Loop and Flood primarily for their setting. The system is solid as well but it's nothing world-shattering.
Smallville was the system that opened my eyes to how games can get away from trying to model physics and instead model tropes and actively shape the experience of playing with their rules, leading the story in the intended direction. Combined with the fact that it's also about two of my favorite things (superheroes and social drama), of course I would love it.
Quote:
How much time do you spend on Gamers' Plane, and are you at all worried that the amount of time you spend here is unhealthy?
I basically have a GP tab open 24/7. Sometimes I sleep, sometimes I'm at work. Occasionally, I even meet people in real life. But aside from those times, I'm always on GP.
I'm almost certain that's unhealthy but as long as it doesn't show up in my blood tests, my doctors can't tell me to stop.
Quote:
Something about horse-sized ducks?
I would not ride a horse sized duck because their bones aren't stable enough for that. I did once as a kid sit on an ostrich in a zoo but I later learned that that's not good for them so I wouldn't do it again.
Quote:
-How hard is it being a moderator on GP and it's discord?
Most of the time it's not too difficult. Sometimes I wish I was just a regular user so I could post and write what I want without having to think about whether that's appropriate 😄
There are difficult moments sometimes when having to figure out how to react to something. Especially because they always happen when every other mod is sleeping.
But overall, I like it. It's a way to give back to the community, I think.
Quote:
-Have you considered using severe punishment on users? What about international laws?
I'm not sure why you bolded part of punishment there 🤔 Maybe @Harrigan can tell me
Quote:
-How did you got into RPGs?
There's this popular German RPG system, Das Schwarze Auge or The Dark Eye. It has a video game version that a friend of mine played and I watched him play occasionally. He did some research into the RPG and occasionally told me about it but it all sounded really complicated and I wasn't really interested in trying but eventually, he convinced me. We went to our local game store and since that was during D&D 4e times, we were directed to Pathfinder and bought that. I very quickly started getting interested in running a bunch of different RPGs and tried out a whole lot of them before I ended up just GMing Pathfinder for a long time.
And eventually, I found my way here where I basically play everything except D&D-likes
Quote:
-There's a local dish; spinach and rice stew. Would you consider trying it? Would that be sort of cannibalism in your case?
Send me a recipe and I'll consider it. Yes, it is cannibalism but I don't mind. After all, it's not called can'tibalism
Quote:
What do you you do for a living and what do you wish you did for a living?
I'm a university student and I work part-time in a restaurant/kitchen.
I'd love to be an author but since that's kind of unrealistic, I'll just become a cultist to an Elder God instead. I heard they have good benefits.
Quote:
What room are you in right now and what are some of your favorite things in it?
I'm in my living room, which houses my RPGs and my laptop, which I like because that's where the GP is. I also have some candles in here. I like candles.
Nov 26, 2021 4:46 pm
My oldest son has studied the German language for years and quite likes RPGs as well. Are there any RPG systems that have only been released in German? If so, are there any that you'd recommend to someone who likes gritty, fantasy type settings?
Nov 26, 2021 4:56 pm
What are you studying in Uni?
Nov 26, 2021 5:10 pm
Quote:
My oldest son has studied the German language for years and quite likes RPGs as well. Are there any RPG systems that have only been released in German? If so, are there any that you'd recommend to someone who likes gritty, fantasy type settings?
I don't know about only in German. I'm mostly sticking to the English-language side of things with RPGs. Of course there's DSA, which has been released in English but is originally German. I'm not a fan of it. It's too crunchy for me. But it has an extremely expansive setting that has been grown for decades. Most of that is only available in German, I think, so that might be worth looking into. I think it might count as gritty fantasy. It's more down-to-earth and less heroic high fantasy than D&D, I believe, but my experience with it is very limited.

I also recently bought TftL: Deutschland in den 80ern, which I think is only available in German. Not a system but a setting book.

There's also Splittermond, which is supposed to be good but I don't know anything about.
Quote:
What are you studying in Uni?
English and Philosophy.
I somehow had the foolish idea that I wanted to be a teacher. And one for philosophy at that. I don't think that's what I'll actually do but now I'm so deep into my degree that I'll finish it. I'm sure I'll find something else to do with it once I'm done 😄
Nov 26, 2021 5:39 pm
Soso, eine Deutsche also... Grüße aus dem Süden

Habt ihr in Deutschland was man im RPG-Bereich den (F)LGS (also Friendly Local Game Store, mit Minis, Regelbüchern, Brettspielen, Tischen zum Treffen für Live-Spiele...) nennen würde?

Weil mir ist hier nie einer untergekommen und ich finde das eigentlich schon ein bisschen schade, dass die TTRPG- und allgemeine Spielekultur so vernachlässigt wird (bloß eine Ludothek kenne ich, da kann man sich Spiele ausborgen oder dort spielen, aber das ist auch mehr an Kinder gerichtet).
Nov 26, 2021 6:00 pm
NABO says:
Soso, eine Deutsche also... Grüße aus dem Süden

Habt ihr in Deutschland was man im RPG-Bereich den (F)LGS (also Friendly Local Game Store, mit Minis, Regelbüchern, Brettspielen, Tischen zum Treffen für Live-Spiele...) nennen würde?

Weil mir ist hier nie einer untergekommen und ich finde das eigentlich schon ein bisschen schade, dass die TTRPG- und allgemeine Spielekultur so vernachlässigt wird (bloß eine Ludothek kenne ich, da kann man sich Spiele ausborgen oder dort spielen, aber das ist auch mehr an Kinder gerichtet).
We do have those game stores with tables for playing live games, though I don't know if I've ever seen RPGs played there. Usually Warhammer 40k or something like that. Sometimes card games as well.
I just go there to buy stuff, basically.

Last year, I went to some RPG day event at one of the local stores and I played a tiny bit of 5e there.
Nov 26, 2021 7:49 pm
What's your preferred set of safety tools to use when RPing and why?

What sort of things do you like to see from your fellow players in a PbP game?
Nov 26, 2021 7:53 pm
Fresh spinach or frozen?
Nov 26, 2021 8:03 pm
Quote:
What's your preferred set of safety tools to use when RPing and why?
I like Lines and Veils. It works to cover the basics and it gives the GM knowledge beforehand to plan around. The X-card (or any kind of encouragement to call out things in the moment when needed and to steer away from them) is very good as well but if you can already eliminate the most glaring issues in advance, that's a great basis. I employ both in my games, as well as an open table policy, letting people know that they're welcome to leave at any point if they're not having fun, getting overwhelmed or whatever, for any reason.
I also try to mark content warnings clearly in advance, preferably already in my interest check.
Quote:
What sort of things do you like to see from your fellow players in a PbP game?
The main thing is just motivation. That can take different forms but if it feels like players are excited about a scene or game (maybe they're posting particularly frequently or there's a lot of OOC chatter and reacting to IC moments or people make memes about something that just happened in the game...) that's what makes games really fun.
Nov 26, 2021 8:04 pm
Quote:
Fresh spinach or frozen?
Depends on for what purpose
Nov 26, 2021 8:58 pm
What is the highest number of PbP games you have been involved in at one time?
Nov 26, 2021 9:23 pm
Quote:
What is the highest number of PbP games you have been involved in at one time?
That's a good question. Right now I'm playing in 11 games, running 5 and playing in 2 GM-less one-on-one games. It's possible there was a point where I was in more games at once but I couldn't give you an exact number. For sure not much more than this, though
Nov 26, 2021 10:23 pm
Other than school and PbP, what makes bowlofspinach tick? Are there other hobbies, or a certain type of music? Is there something you've been meaning to learn but you just can't find the time?
Nov 26, 2021 10:30 pm
What's your favorite food & drink combination?

What's your least favorite episode of your favorite TV show?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.