Security concern found: What you need to know

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 29, 2021 7:42 pm
I have unfortunately upsetting news today. Last Friday, Adam found a security hole in the GP code that could leak user profile data. Among those, the most security concerning are hashed passwords, email addresses, and date of birth. This data was available through an API call which any logged in user could pull. Thankfully, there are no indications that this loophole has ever been exploited. Had someone found this issue before, we would have seen numerous attempts to get information from a single source; besides my own IPs, I couldn't find anything.

Adam made a patch to fix the issue, which has been implemented. So what does this mean for you: best as I can tell, no private information has been accessed, but it's impossible for me to know for sure. The passwords that were accessible were both hashed via a very strong hashing algorithm, and salted; it would be extremely difficult for anyone to reverse engineer raw passwords if they did get their hands on any info. If you reuse your passwords on multiple sites, I recommend getting a strong password manager (I use LastPass, there are many others) and resetting your GP password.

Adam's fix has already started the process of making the code more secure. Today, I will be looking into a new password hashing method that should be even more difficult to break. I will also be building a new mechanism to reset passwords that makes it less likely to be abused, as well as a mechanism to force users to change their passwords. I will be doing a full, top down review of the code to see if there are any other major vulnerabilities.

I'm so very sorry this happened. I have no excuse; something slipped past me. I'm glad to be able to say with relative certainty that no information was leaked, but again, it's impossible for me to be sure. I'll do my best to make sure there are no other issues, and I hope that now, working with Adam as a co-developer on GP, nothing like this will happen again.
Nov 29, 2021 7:54 pm
So do we update our info like passwords?
Nov 29, 2021 8:02 pm
Not your fault Keleth, you're not God afterall. Thanks for letting us know.
Nov 29, 2021 8:04 pm
Thanks for the heads up, Keleth. Great that this issue was spotted!
Nov 29, 2021 8:16 pm
Thank you for bringing a security issue to our attention, it really means a lot that you would volunteer the information. You guys are killing up there in code-land, thanks for all the work that you and Adam do!
Nov 29, 2021 10:05 pm
I use a number of different, tiered password templates and usernames of varying complexity, the more complex a password is (and/or more complex/uncommon a username) means I use it for sites that hold more important information of mine.

So, no offense when I say this, but I use my least complex password format (and my most basic/common username) for GP :)

The birthday I have listed here isn't even my actual birthday lol

Anyways, point being don't sweat this on my account at least.
Last edited November 29, 2021 10:06 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.