Keeping Criticism Constructive and Kind

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Len

Dec 3, 2021 7:33 pm
Hi everybody. There's something that we need to get off our chests.

We have received a number of complaints from users who are concerned about how some members express their criticism of the site's moderators and developers. The vast majority of users here are supportive and appreciative of our efforts - thank you! You make serving this community a rewarding experience. But there are some users who consistently toe the line between criticism and disrespect.

If I'm being honest, we have been slow to act on it because we don't want to come across as unwilling to accept criticism. But, we are tired of comments that are condescending, passive-aggressive, hyperbolic, and/or needling. It's taking a toll on us and the community, and it needs to stop.

Speaking personally, it has really started bothering me when it gets directed at Adam. His efforts have been nothing short of heroic in how much he's gotten involved with the development of the site. The least we owe him is a tone of respect when speaking to him about his efforts. But this also goes for speaking with mods and the site owner, Keleth.

If you have concerns about how the site is run or how development of the site is going, we want to hear from you. We are going to make mistakes and it is okay to talk about them and point them out. But, please do so in a considerate and respectful manner. We will definitely accept your criticism. We will not accept disrespect.

Thanks for listening everyone.

-- Gamers' Plane Moderator Team
Dec 4, 2021 4:41 pm
I hope I'm not one of the offending parties. I try to be respectful at all times, but I have a... umm... personality... I try to keep in check, and I'm aware that from time to time, I might inadvertently let a snide comment slip in...

If I did offered some borderline disrespectful criticism lately, I sincerely apologize. I'll try to do better in the future.

Len

Dec 6, 2021 6:21 am
Kalajel, the people whose actions triggered this noticed have been notified by PM. This had nothing to do with you. Thanks for reaching out and hope you are doing well.
Dec 6, 2021 5:15 pm
I admittedly don't follow the dev threads too closely, but I'm frankly a bit surprised and shocked (and saddened) to hear that this has been going on.

Pardon the weird flex, but as someone who's been here for more than 5 of the apparently 8 years the site has been going - right now (and specifically, the last, I don't know 6 months?) is the most vital and alive and innovative time that the site has ever had in my tenure here.

And that's all thanks to volunteers on the admin and dev side.

My gratitude is immense, and I'm sorry to hear you guys are getting disrespected.

I guess maybe it's a sign that GP is growing? The perpetually small, friendly atmosphere is changing with that?

Anyway, a big THANK YOU, to the Admin and Dev team. I think it's the sentiment of most when I say; I appreciate you and your work very much.
Last edited December 6, 2021 5:16 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.