Off the Beaten Track

Dec 10, 2021 6:44 pm
With the caravan instructed to move on under the protection of the remaining guards, the captain (whose name you think might be 'Bimi', but that may also be the merchant's nickname for her. Are you brave enough to try using it? Do you know better?) requisitioned provisions from the stores --enough for a few days, but everyone is hoping it will not take that long-- and left them on the road to sort out the battle's aftermath.

The map is... not good. It clearly shows the ambush point --with another, crossed out, marking suggesting the original point on the main road-- but assumed those reading it knew where they were coming from. Meht if you had not taken over navigation from the captain, you are pretty sure you would never have found what you are looking for.

As it is, it is nearing sunset by the time you all realise you are getting near. The big hint is the unusual fog that permeates the area. This time of year, this time of day, there should not be fog, especially not localised to this one valley like this is. More than just the damp cold makes everyone shudder and pull their cloaks close around themselves.

• How are you approaching? What precautions have you taken?
Cook, you have never seen the 'temple' --most of the bandits haven't-- but you have all heard rumors... unbelievable rumors, mostly... about it and those of your who go there.

• What have you heard? What do you think is going on?

The bandit camp is mostly empty since they went off on a job. None of them have returned.
• Who else is still in camp, and why?
• What about Cook causes the party to give him a chance to join you instead of sniping him in the heart (the old "bandit queen's gambit").
Anyone should answer.
Dec 12, 2021 7:44 pm
Meht, who scouts ahead whenever the way ahead is less visible, smells smoke, sweet against the chill of the fog, before he sees any sign of a camp.

Creeping forward more cautiously, the fog is thin enough that he soon spots the camp from a distance - a collection of rough-looking tents, a few sacks. It seems quiet and empty, but for a single figure who seems to be tending a cooking pot, and who looks like it hurts them to walk.

He watches for a minute. Seeing no-one else, he creeps back and rejoins the party.

"There's a camp up ahead," he says to the group, but looking at the Captain. "I could only see one person there, though there may be more somewhere. Looks like a man, with a bad leg, cooking something. I could probably shoot him, but would you rather question him?"
Dec 13, 2021 12:27 am
Cook busies himself with the camp duties - stirring the rabbit and potato in the stewpot, tending the skittish horses the bandits didn't trust to take on an ambush, beating blankets to get out the ticks. Jondar lets out a moan. Darn fool got clawed by a bear while he was taking a crap. Cook holds a hand to his forehead. "Huh, might recover. Might not."

Cook shields his eyes as he checks the position of the evening sky. "Getting late. Darn fools may have gotten themselves kilt. He-he, more rabbit for me." He stirs the pot and breathes in the aroma.
Dec 13, 2021 12:34 am
Cook has heard the bandits frequently talking about the camp. The riches it still holds, the powerful relics that will make them all kings. Pure foolishness. Poor men of limited character looking for a get rick quick solution to all their problems rather than putting in the study and work needed to achieve real power. Since they haven't found the supposed temple, Cook is starting to believe it might not even exist.

But then the fog rolls in. An unnatural thing with a touch of power to it. A touch of power that is familiar to Cook from his life before the Inquisitors. There's something happening here, but certainly nothing the bandits have considered in their wildest dreams.
Dec 13, 2021 3:10 am
Alycine has dressed up warmly for the journey, the chilly fog held back by the furs she put on. Maha hovers behind, keeping its trained eye out for any danger and ready to screech at a moment's notice. She waits patiently for Meht to return from his scouting trip and the subsequent report.

"...but would you rather question him?", she turns to face the source of the question, Meht.

"An old man with a bad leg, serving as a cook? Something seems off about this... it does not sound like the profile of a man who would willingly join up to pillage and plunder.

Hmm, given his age... I suspect he must know something about the temple we are about to explore. I dare say he might even be one of the caretakers, press-ganged by the bandits with no idea of his significance. Indeed, it is likely wise to stay your hand for this moment, Meht. Let us interrogate him, but try not to panic him and bring the bandit camp running back to us."
Dec 13, 2021 7:46 am
"A bad leg...?" The captain mutters to herself. She had been showing a limp for the last hour or so, and absentmindedly rubs her own leg in pain.

"I... we," she corrects herself, "don't care about the bandit camp." She almost spits the last two words. "It's the temple that matters. If he is a caretaker we need to question him." This all seems like a bit of a narrow view of the situation, and is not at all like the captain you know.
Dec 15, 2021 4:13 pm
Looks like the place is deserted. Albert thinks as he makes his way cautiously into the bandit camp. They probably headed out to raid some unfortunate caravan.
A faint whiff of smoke creeps into his nose as he gets closer. Hmm... Could be a campfire. Best not to linger. I'll find my stuff and head out before anyone notices me. he concludes while heading into the nearest tent that looks like it could contain supplies.

"Now, if I were a bandit... Where would I keep the mugs and such?" he mutters to himself while searching the tent, trying his best not to cough too loudly as dust flies up from the things he touches. Damn these lungs, they'll be the death of me yet.
Alas... no luck here."They're probably using them for their dinner. Damn it... Those mugs aren't made to hold stew. They'll be ruined!" He might have to head towards that campfire after all.
Dec 15, 2021 6:31 pm
Rook shifts irritably, rubbing his arms and legs against the chill dusk. "If it's just a single old man, why are we still hiding in the brush? We can have this same discussion circled around a warm fire." Without another word he crept forward to the edge of the clearing, then stepped jauntily forth, walking towards the campfire without a care in the world. He kept his hand on the blade in his belt, but made no threatening gestures. "Good evening to you, greybeard. There's a lovely smell coming off that stewpot of yours; perhaps you'd be willing to share with a cold and weary traveler?"
Dec 16, 2021 10:39 am
Albert sneakily tries to makes his way over to the campfire, poking his head into a few more tents along the way just in case. He stops when he hears voices coming from up ahead. Darn, I was hoping to get out of here without seeing anybody. He creeps his way around the back of a couple of crates trying to get a view of who he's dealing with here and spots a couple of figures around the campfire. Hard to tell who they are from over here.

A cloud of smoke drifts its way to where Albert is standing as he's trying to figure out whether those are bandits he's met before or not, triggering a coughing fit. He ducks behind the crates but that's probably too late. Crap! they've surely heard me. Now what do I do? Running will be tough while I'm still coughing.
Dec 16, 2021 3:18 pm
Even if Alcyine had missed the coughing fit, Maha did not. The falcon slowly flaps her wings and approaches the location, intending to flush him out towards the campfire. Alycine decides to witness how the situation unfolds.
Dec 16, 2021 5:32 pm
The old man continues stirring the pot a few moments before slowly turning around. His arm with the stirring spoon hangs at an odd angle and his face is crossed by deep, unnatural lines of age. A large clever is tucked into a leather apron, but the old man makes no move towards it. On seeing Rook, a look of confusion comes across his face and it takes several more moments before it resolves itself. "You're welcome to stew, but best be gone before the others return. They're not friendly."

He starts to turn back to the pot when his eyes turn skyward and a look of alarm crosses his face. Zanthos' annoying spy! I'll teach him to spy on me! The old man raises the spoon and points to the the falcon circling overhead. He mumbles a few unintelligible words and jerks his arm. "Bastard!" He stands there motionless for a few moments and then suddenly starts as if surprised to find himself pointing skywards. He seems to notice you for the first time. "Who are you? Best be gone before the others return. They're not friendly."
Dec 16, 2021 10:49 pm
Meht, surprised by the captain's manner, tries his new approach to people again, and watches her face for anything he's seen in an animal or landscape before. He sees her own surprise there when Rook walks off, but what did her expression before that remind him of? He searches his memory.
Last edited December 16, 2021 11:15 pm
Dec 16, 2021 11:14 pm
Finally recovered from his coughing fit, Albert takes the chance to peek over one of the crates at the campfire. Oh good, looks like they haven't spotted me yet, I guess I'll..."Auw.. What the?!?" He reels as something just clawed at his hair. Turning his head to find out what hit him, he sees a bird-like shape darting back up into the air. Is that a falcon? Why is it attacking me? Well this couldn't have been timed any better... he remarks sarcastically in his head.

Before realizing it, the bird is back for a second fly-by, knocking Albert onto his behind, out of the cover of the crates "Oof". Covering his head and trying to stay low, he crawls towards the figures at the campfire. "HELP! HELP! I'm being attacked!"

Those witnessing this can see a middle-aged man, with brown hair and a quite well kept beard, crawling towards them. He's wearing a light brown cloak that has obviously seen better days. A grey cloth backpack moves from side to side as he makes his way forward, the movement slightly restricted by a broomstick that's been stuck between the straps of the pack in a diagonal manner.
Dec 16, 2021 11:29 pm
"Right..." Rook paused uncomfortably, trying to figure out how to deal with this addle-brained old man. And why does he sound familiar...? He shrugged and continued up to the campfire.

"You can rest your worries on that front, greybeard. I've met the rest of your camp already, and they'll not be back. You are right about them not being friendly, but my troops managed to rout them without too much trouble. There might be a few stragglers, here or there I suppose, but I brought along a few henchmen just in case that sort of unpleasantness popped up. They'll be along eventually, I suppose."

He stood carefully, waiting to see the old man's reaction. He was barmy, as far as Rook could tell. Best see how he reacted to the disappearance of the rest of his band.

At that moment, he heard the cry behind him, and spun around to see a man struggling with a bird; no, not any bird, the rich girl's falcon. And that wasn't just any man either, but "Hells, I know you! You're Old Albert the barkeep, right? And now a bandit?"

What strange confluence of events was this?
Dec 16, 2021 11:44 pm
"Not that bright. Figured they'd get themselves killed. Either the fog, or the temple, or some other way." He turns back to the pot, either completely unaware or completely not caring about Albert's appearance.
Dec 17, 2021 11:28 am
"Watch who you're calling old there, sonny!" Albert hoists himself up from the ground as if making a statement, his eyes fixed on the falcon, ready to dodge another swoop. Between the buttoned opening of his cloak a glimpse of blue. His clothes underneath the cloak appear to be of better quality.

He takes a second to look at the person who seems to know his name. "By the gods! Rook! What brings you here?" He walks forwards to give Rook a firm handshake. "I haven't seen you in a while. How have you b... MY MUGS!" He shouts with excitement as he spots 2 wooden mugs with a symbol of an antler on the side near the campfire and hurries to pick them up. Forgetting all about the bird and Rook he spits in one of them and cleans it out with the inside of his cloak, revealing more of this barkeep's attire.
Dec 18, 2021 1:26 am
Rook is confused by the barkeep's appearance but stands ready to shake his hand, when the other suddenly runs off in a crazed fashion towards some wooden mugs. Taken aback by this, Rook actually backpedals from the fire a bit. "Be careful, my friends," he calls to his companions still hiding in the bushes, "There is something strange going on here! Both of these men are touched in the head! I think there may be a curse upon this place!'
Dec 18, 2021 3:27 pm
Albert turns back towards Rook, mug still in his hand. "Oh, right. Terribly sorry about that, you must think I've lost my mind." He takes a few steps closer to Rook, presenting the item he just picked up. "You see, these bandits had stolen some of the mugs from my bar. I came here hoping to find them because it's one of the few things from the bar I have left." The smile he had gotten when seeing a familiar face, and the mugs quickly fades and turns into a solemn gloom as Albert remembers what happened not too long ago.

He forces a smile back onto his face, trying his best to shake this sadness in his heart. "So, don't worry, I've not gone mad." Yet. he thinks to himself after speaking those words.

Albert finally takes the time to look around, seemingly noticing the others for the first time. "Did I.. interrupt something?" He says hesitantly while eyeing the different characters near the campfire.
Dec 19, 2021 1:45 am
The captain seems to be acting a little differently, but whatever it is it's beyond Meht's current ability to work out.

Hearing a commotion, and then Rook's warning, he says to the captain, "We'd better go check that out," reaching for his axe as he jogs to the camp.

He arrives, axe in hand, to find Rook with the bad-legged bandit and another who appears to be holding two tavern mugs. Maha circles overhead while Meht looks from person to person, holding his axe and wondering what is going on.
Last edited December 19, 2021 7:20 am
Dec 19, 2021 7:10 am
Rook gave Albert a uncertain glance. "You're not mad, you say? You sought out this bandits' encampment, alone and armed with a broom, and you're not mad? That's your claim?" Other than that, the man seemed stable enough though, and not dangerous, at least at the moment.

He brightened when he say Meht approach. Finally, some back up. "...and it seems the woodsman is the first one to have the sense to come in out of the woods. Albert, this stout fellow is my fellow guard and close companion Meht. Meht, this man who has the unfortunate luck to be holding two tankards, without a drop of drink in either, is Albert the Barkeep, owner of... wait, did you say 'few things you had left'? What happened to your tavern?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.