Hello! New to pbp and RPG

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Dec 16, 2021 1:46 pm
Hi Matt I fairly new to this platform as well. I am 43 and love osr I am right there with you. You probably know but many of the old books are available online and there are some really good osr clones out their Labrynith Lord and Swords & Wizardry come to mind
Last edited December 16, 2021 2:19 pm
Dec 16, 2021 4:49 pm
Thanks, everyone, for the warm welcome and all of the good information!

bowlofspinach - Thanks for all the info and links, I will dig into all of that, and probably try out that beginners game!
Qralloq says:
Welcome mattchee. D&D 5e is undoubtedly the most popular system played here. I hope you find a great game and learn to love the hobby like so many of us do.

If you don't find a game by the weekend, give me a shout and we'll figure that out together.
Thanks, I definitely will!
storyweaver says:
Hi Matt I fairly new to this platform as well. I am 43 and love osr I am right there with you. You probably know but many of the old books are available online and there are some really good osr clones out their Labrynith Lord and Swords & Wizardry come to mind
Cool! I haven't checked out those two specifically (though I've been looking at the White Box book, which I think is based on S&W?), but I have been looking at Basic Fantasy RPG, Dungeon Crawl Classics, and OSE. OSR seems pretty streamlined and rules light, which is appealing.

Thanks, everyone!
Dec 16, 2021 8:41 pm
There are a couple of "White Box" games. Both are rooted in Swords & Wizardry, and are meant to represent / model the earliest play of D&D -- "OD&D," the 1974 materials without a ton of the add-ons and articles and such that fleshed the game out in the 70s on the run up to 1979 when the various AD&D books were published.

So White Box itself is a trimmed-down version of S&W that Matt Finch put out... then there's the more polished and cleaned up version that Charlie Mason later published: White Box Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game. I dig Mason's version a lot, though I think the real OSR gems aren't retroclones, but games inspired by those early systems. IMHO, of course.
Last edited December 16, 2021 8:42 pm
Dec 17, 2021 6:33 pm
Good info! Thank you! The Charlie Mason version of WB is what I've looked at, interesting to get a perspective on that.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.