tweak/thread_online_indicators

Dec 20, 2021 1:19 pm
Using the same data as "The Gamers" for whether someone is online. The extension already does this.

It's either a green light or nothing.

https://i.imgur.com/xg8OJK7.png
Dec 20, 2021 1:38 pm
Should we not have an opt out (or opt in) for things like this?
Dec 20, 2021 1:52 pm
I don't know, but if a feature doesn't add real value then it's just a bug waiting to happen (I suppose even if it does add value, it's still a bug waiting to happen). I don't even know why I put this in the extension.

A significant minority in the jokey thread thought they were creepy. It seems to me that the small value some people might get from these is far outweighed by the creepiness that other people feel about them.

The code is in a branch so I wanted to add a thread for it here, but my feeling is that we should kill this tweak.
Dec 20, 2021 2:01 pm
I like the online indicator. I have kept the extension installed because of it. If I'm on the fence about replying to something right away but I see the whole gang is online, I might post sooner rather than later. But it looks like I'm in the minority and in the end, it's not that important.
Last edited December 20, 2021 2:02 pm
Dec 20, 2021 3:27 pm
I'm neutral on this one. I personally dont find it useful but I'm also not against it if the general consensus is positive
Dec 20, 2021 4:38 pm
Leaning towards a yes. A soft yes if you prefer.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.