Review of level 2021, before level 2022

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 31, 2021 11:55 am
A quick look at some starts for 2021.

The call to adventure

These GPers made their first post in 2021 and have managed an average of at least one post per day since joining.

@Peindora, @KoldikSteelskin, @Bubbles, @GreyWord, @Data, @Harrigan, @C1NDER, @orklord, @timplausible, @narf, @TheGenerator, @raven_179, @Darius, @zeruhur, @NABO, @CherokeeWind, @the_puppeteer, @Nictorah, @carkl3000, @ireneofunyes, @Caps, @Justin_Hammer, @Rezart, @Antiproduct, @Nemsis, @ervil, @mattchee, @mormegil, @sstricklin, @Skeletor, @theatreofcomets, @Raffo, @Darkstar8, @JamaisVu, @Kenner, @Matrim2021, @Camilla, @Evendurtallstag, @Dsquid, @Sikander, @lockwey, @YanhuGdR, @Psybermagi, @Gnome_Chomsky, @XaitheGamer, @paladintodd, @lmrawson, @millyk, @Silica, @Adventurer_Slayer, @Papejima, @skopioXV121, @Nanoka, @Senevast, @Dirteshot, @Urulooke, @SeaJay, @Pycroft

@Peindora has a whopping average of nearly fifteen posts per day! @KoldikSteelskin, @Bubbles, @GreyWord, @Data, and @Harrigan all average over five posts per day.
The road of trials

These games started in 2021 and had punishingly high posting rates.

DungeonMania, Weekenders! the Monster Hunters Club, Our own adventure, Explorers of the Uncharted Continent, DCC - Into the Heart of Chaos, Thunder Rift Adventures, 🐉 Dragon of Icespire Peak, The Conyberry Ascendancy, 💡 Gamers' Plane development, Apocalypse World: Junk World

DungeonMania has an average of over thirty posts per day, the Weekenders! had an average of over twenty posts per day.
The vision quest

Although not new members, these users returned to GP in 2021.

@vagueGM, @DMJ, @Victor.Strokov, @Vorpal.Scout, @Verrain, @Aironfabio, @dunderklumpen, @Moridin77, @Jiggidy40, @Xorthan

@vagueGM hadn't posted since 2016, but returned to GP making over 1700 posts in 2021!
The meeting with the goddess

These users made the most posts of 2021.

@Qralloq (with nearly 12,000 posts!), @Windyridge, @bowlofspinach
The boon

Let's not forget the generosity and hard work of @Keleth. There were 90 code commits to the main branch of GP codebase in 2021 (an average of one every 4 days, the majority made by @Keleth himself). There are 114 code commits awaiting merge and deployment.
The magic flight

In 2021 @qralloq took Gamers' Plane took to YouTube with fourteen interviews with Gamers' Planers and fifteen tips videos.
The return threshold

Not just return but all the keys. These are the three users with the most key presses of 2021.

@bowlofspinach (with over five and half million characters posted), @Qralloq, @Emberskyes
The master of two worlds

These are the oldest games that were still going at the start of 2021.

The Secret History of Bload, [5e] Out of the Abyss, WFRP - Paths of the Damned, Call of Cthulhu - A Time for Harvest, 🎲 UTOL Gaming Table

The Secret History of Bload and Out of the Abyss both had their first posts in 2015. @Knifesedgegames's WFRP - Paths of the Damned, started in March 2016, is still very active.
Epilogue

This is a community site. Everyone who plays, GMs, makes videos, administers the site, and works on the code is here for fun and for the stories. But these are just stats. If numbers told stories then we'd be on spreadsheet site instead of here, playing RPGs.

What are your stories and special moments of 2021?
Dec 31, 2021 12:19 pm
Playing until level 2022? That sounds like something @Yamazaki would do

Thanks for the stats. Interesting to look at
Dec 31, 2021 12:49 pm
I want to take a moment to remember our good friend Machiabelly who passed earlier this year.

Machiabelly was always such an enthusiastic player and a joy to play with. I never heard him say a bad word about anyone, nor heard anyone speak ill of him - in short, the type of man I hope to be - a good man.

https://i.imgur.com/CrvuPeO.jpg

We miss you buddy.
Last edited December 31, 2021 12:50 pm
Dec 31, 2021 1:05 pm
I think my favourite moment of 2021 as a player was when the BBEG turned out to be my PC's necromancer master, who then ordered the PC to kill the party. It was expertly DM'ed by @QuantumRiot. The clues were there, but it was still a good reveal, and he used my PC's ideal (I always follow orders) against her - chaos ensued. Brilliant!

I think my weirdest moment as a DM of 2021 was when @runekyndig flew a giant awakened walrus out of the adventure.
Last edited December 31, 2021 1:05 pm

KCC

Dec 31, 2021 2:16 pm
Favorite moments: The King in Yellow’s arrival to the castle feast, and the players all going mad upon seeing him. That was such a fun game for me!

Almost any shenanigans the Tales gang got up to all year. Fighting a robot. Turning an evil scientist into a horse…
Dec 31, 2021 2:23 pm
Great stats (and great to see the Weekenders game in there!). GP and its users keep giving us such great gaming memories.
Raising my tankard to Machiabelly, I hope he's keeping the dice rolling in the Great Beyond...
Dec 31, 2021 7:44 pm
I still feel relatively new here, but the community has been welcoming and wonderful. Thanks, all.
Jan 1, 2022 9:32 am
Adam says:
I think my weirdest moment as a DM of 2021 was when @runekyndig flew a giant awakened walrus out of the adventure.
It was true true What The Hell are we doing moment.
Jan 1, 2022 12:01 pm
So, 2021...
-Found GP (hot stuff, nice people)
-Played RPGs (came for D&D and found a whole new world)
GP is pretty much a part of my daily life now, for which I'm really grateful. (Again, thank you @Kaleth )

I had the pleasure of meeting great people here; Machiabelli was one of them. I can't say much, other that he is and will be missed.

I've had great moments playing here; in no particular order:
-Getting into my first game - @Tenrec being an awesome DM, guiding me through character creation and pbp playing.
-TftL... What can I say other than I'm having a blast. @KCC and the gang know what I'm talking about. (you can as well, the game is public)
- @kalajel - a cool GM and a great listener, cheers buddy.

Last but not least, a toast for @Qralloq ; thanks for making me an undiscriminating rpg junkie. My wife might have a different opinion xD.

So, here's to 2022; may we play on, physically and mentally healthy.
Cheers.
Jan 2, 2022 4:17 am
Great thread. Another salute to Machiabelly, and a serious thank you to Adam and Keleth for all the improvements to the site. To the mods and change management gang too -- great stuff.

2021 was the year I decided to try GP for real. I joined in late 2018 but didn't do more than make a single Fate game and character to test things out. Very glad I gave the site another try this year -- have met great people and played in some really fun games. I love the pace here -- it's unusual to find a PbP game that gets off the skids and lasts, let alone finishes. In 2021, I started and finished a game, and played in two more that started and will finish in just a couple of weeks. So cool.

Thanks for being such a welcoming community, y'all. And all of yous. And all y'all. And you lot. Etc.

Happy New Year!
Jan 2, 2022 11:34 am
Favorite gm moment: during character creation of a 1930s pulp game, I prompt the players to come up with a reason they know each other, and they decide that... they escaped from Alcatraz together, with the adventure starting on the escape raft!

Took a lot of work to link back to the planned adventure hook, but it made the story a lot better in the process 😂
Jan 2, 2022 1:34 pm
Favorite player moment of the year was definitely when my blind character fell into a hole in the forest and in order to get an idea of her surroundings, took photos of cave she was in and sent them to the other PC. Who then saw a bunch of creepy horrors on them including a huge owl monster that my character was completely unaware of.
Jan 2, 2022 3:04 pm
It was a banner, memorable year for me too. Being asked to be a moderator, launching my YouTube interview series, and I played with some remarkable gamers, old friends and new acquaintances both. The modifications made to the site in 2021 have been wonderful, and reinvigorate the imagination.

A favorite moment in the nearly 12,000 posts I apparently made would be singing and dancing at a beach party. Such a great scene, full of both conflict and affection.
Jan 2, 2022 3:11 pm
That scene really was lovely!
Jan 6, 2022 7:09 pm
This year was great. And finding gamers plane was one of the greatest things in it. After all I love D&D and was finally able to find a way to play it after years of abstinence.

Seeing dungeonmania so successful warms my heart. And it's mostly thanks to the great players I have :) they are what's moving this along. And they also help me improve as a DM.

All the playing also finally got me back on working on my own world. With some chance I might get it ready for a first run this year.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.