7th Sea 2e

Jun 13, 2016 1:03 am
I've been devouring the book since I got my backer copy (not sure when it'll be available to the general public, though) and I must say the mechanics in it are intriguing.

Roll first, then spend raises to do things is awesome! No more "I try to X" and then roll a 1…lame! I spend a Raise and am awesome! Simple as that! What about the rest of you? Anyone else get in on this game?

-EF
Jun 13, 2016 5:08 am
I also backed it... did you get a full copy or are you talking about the preview copy?
Jun 13, 2016 5:46 am
The preview copy v2. Full copy is 'Coming Soon'™ :p
Jun 15, 2016 3:52 am
Once it hits retail I'll pick it up and read through it...
Jun 15, 2016 3:37 pm
I just got my backer-first final retail PDF copy! I'm super stoked!

-EF
Jun 15, 2016 3:46 pm
I think I just got version 2. read through it, whole lot more descriptive of the different cultures. I was planning on running a 7th sea game on here once I had a chance to read through everything
Jun 15, 2016 3:50 pm
Roh, who runs GP, said he's getting the char sheet from John Wick Presents so he can have it up day 1... but, he doesn't have access yet, and hadn't heard about the Raises mechanic. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

As a backer as well, I'm super SUPER excited about playing this game.
Jun 15, 2016 3:59 pm
I MAY be working on the character sheet now... but IF I was working on it, I'd need to wait until you all had access to the character sheets before I could release it on GP, and I'd need to get it approved by my JWP contact.

That said, yes, I don't understand all the mechanics to the game, and I'll be relying on your help to make it better.
Jun 15, 2016 4:20 pm
*blushes* Didn't mean to spill the beans. :/
Jun 15, 2016 4:26 pm
well, the mechanic seems simple enough. you roll dice and do math and figure out how many raises you got. then you use those raises in a scene for an automatic "I do something cool" card.

I think I'll grasp it better once my physcial copy comes in. for some reason reading it on a PDF doesn't do it for me. I guess I'm just too old school
Jun 15, 2016 4:44 pm
whipstache says:
*blushes* Didn't mean to spill the beans. :/
I'll be honest... I'm not sure if my JWP contact meant I couldn't tell anyone I had state secrets, or if I couldn't share those state secrets. Being a double agent is really hard.
Jun 15, 2016 4:46 pm
The base mechanic is easy, and I even talked about it a bit on my last podcast episode (~7min to ~10min).

In brief, roll a die pool of d10s—very similar to WoD, take Trait (attribute) + Skill to determine how many d10s to roll. Make groups that add up to 10. That is how many Raises you have. Spend them to do stuff in the scene. One Raise deals one Wound, for example, or allows you to sneak past the guards. You can spend more than one Raise on an action to make sure it gets done—3 Raises spent means 3 Wounds, for example—or when opposing someone. Whoever spends the most Raises does [the thing].

-EF
Jun 15, 2016 4:55 pm
I think experience gain is going to be interesting versus other systems.
Jun 15, 2016 5:02 pm
what's interesting to me is the personal story bit. I don't think you get xp, you just get to justify taking a new advantage when you resolve a personal story. 7th sea looks like it's geared to be a VERY character-oriented game.
Jun 15, 2016 5:31 pm
darthoingoboingo says:
what's interesting to me is the personal story bit. I don't think you get xp, you just get to justify taking a new advantage when you resolve a personal story. 7th sea looks like it's geared to be a VERY character-oriented game.
This.7th Sea doesn't have an XP system. Instead, you have 'Stories' with a logical progression. Stories can range from 1 to 5 steps, and once you complete a story, you get to improve something. A 3-point Advantage, for example, requires a 3-step story while gaining a new dot in a Trait is a 5-step story.

XP is not a thing, and I am in love with that idea.

-EF
Jun 15, 2016 5:44 pm
Experience probably wasn't the right word versus advancement. I do think proposing personal story arcs that advance your character sometimes in line sometime clashing with the main story is a very different concept and some people will love it other will hate it (I.e. Cipher system with no healer type is weird for some).
Jun 15, 2016 5:48 pm
hey, I love the idea... how many times have you played a character and wanted to explore something with them that just didn't come up in the game? and the steps don't have to be fully fleshed out until you complete the one before it. AND you can say what you want to happen.

I want my big meathead of a brute to fall in love. first step is to end up meeting a noblewoman and become smitten with her. that happened in game, great! next step is to rescue her from something deadly, etc.

LOVE that idea, but it may be difficult to GM and have to keep track of and fit in 5 different story points
Jun 15, 2016 5:49 pm
Remnant says:
Experience probably wasn't the right word versus advancement. I do think proposing personal story arcs that advance your character sometimes in line sometime clashing with the main story is a very different concept and some people will love it other will hate it (I.e. Cipher system with no healer type is weird for some).
Yeah, "Experience" carries a specific connotation in most circles, including mine :p

And I agree that it's going to be one of those love/hate parts of the game. I don't foresee many people saying 'meh, it's ok, whatever.' It's either going to resonate well with someone or piss them off.

-EF
Jun 16, 2016 2:02 am
HOLY SHIT THE CORE BOOK IS OUT! THE CORE BOOK IS OUT ON PDF!!!!

gonna read the shit out of this then create a 7th sea game

You do not have permission to post in this thread.