🔔 Setting up discord integration for your games

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 18, 2022 6:29 am
Step 0. Do you even need this?
Talk to your players to find out whether they want discord integration. Discord integration is not certainly not necessary to have a great game on Gamers' Plane; it's there to provide an optional extra tool for game engagement and notifications.

But not all users use discord. If some OOC chatter moves to discord then certain players might feel left out.
Perhaps run a poll to see if this is something that the players are interested in.

Step 1. Create a discord server channel
If you don't already have a discord server, then you'll need to create one.
Create a channel for your game. You can have many different discord channels on your server, each with different permissions, so you can use one server for all your games.
You might also want to use different discord channels for different game threads.

Step 2. Create a webhook
In discord, right click on your game's discord channel and choose "Edit Channel".
In the channel settings, under "Integrations", choose "Create webhook".
Choose "Copy webhook URL".

Step 3. Add the webhook to a Gamers' Plane thread
Edit the first post of a thread.
Paste the discord webhook into the thread's "Discord webhook" field.

https://i.imgur.com/A71x47K.png

Step 4. Now what?
When a post is made in a game, a snippet of that post will be sent to the discord channel. The snippet will appear in an orange edged box.
It will have the NPC's avatar and name, as well as the username of the person posting the message.
The title of the chapter will appear at the top and will be hyperlinked to the game post.

https://i.imgur.com/ygKMa7q.png
Last edited March 15, 2022 10:11 am
Jan 18, 2022 6:44 am
Ooh! Very cool! Thank you!
Jan 18, 2022 6:49 am
You're welcome. It's the first release - I expect it'll be a little clunky until we've worked out what it's for.
Jan 18, 2022 9:28 pm
I've been in games where we use emojis in a text channel as a manual posting alert. I'm happy now.
Jan 18, 2022 10:18 pm
Adam says:
You're welcome. It's the first release - I expect it'll be a little clunky until we've worked out what it's for.
I've set this up for a game, but using my phone which required some work arounds. I'll put up a video of this tonight I think.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.