2. Foaming mugs

load previous
Feb 27, 2022 11:20 pm
While this was not the first service Anders had attended, they were often few and far between. Much of the teachings of Auril struck true to the way he lived his life, but without the compassion and joy he tried to find. He had learned that life was best spent in solitude, though it was from a fear of others than a fear of reliance. He existed any way he could, but he had limits as any man should. He did not want to love a god that only tested, rarely rewarded.

As Zinvaris asks the question about if any in the group followed Her, he shakes his head without waiting for the others to respond. "There are very few who follow the Frost Maiden. She is a present and harsh mistress, and it is foolish not to acknowledge Her. Take it as you will." He wrings his hands together, rubbing at old scars where entire patches of skin were left pink. He had faced off with the cold goddess many times, and somehow survived her challenges. But each one left its own mark upon him, and Anders often wondered how many more he could face before he didn't recognize himself anymore.

And then with practiced breaths, he puts that train of thought behind him. He centers himself, and moves his focus onto the immediate. There were kobolds in Termalaine causing harm to those who already suffered enough. And Anders needed money to make it through the coming days. He looks to the horizon, squinting as a cold breeze torments his eyes. "It is late. Those who wish to take on the mine job should meet at my shack in the morning. I will be retiring there this evening." He heads towards any one of the taverns in town to purchase a bottle of wine, and then begins the march back to his shack. The wine is opened before he arrives, all in preparation of reading the journal he had purchased.
Feb 28, 2022 12:23 am
Without time to recover from Zin's question before the announcement of the service, the smile finally left Okto's face. Okto did his best to always present an air of confidence and exuberance to defy his dreary surroundings, but there was always one thing that could break that. And lately She's been really getting on his nerves. The half-orc made sure to stick with the group as they made their way to church, but notably without the skip in his step.

Okto stood near the front of the crowd during the service, obediantly reciting all that he needed to, but nervously fidgeting with his many trinkets of good fortune in his pockets while he did so, and constantly doubling checking his gloves were still on tight. But when the service was over, he was one of the first to leave. A compliant but spiteful observer.

Okto simply agrees with Anders' statement on the Frostmaiden with an affirmative grunt, and offers no further explanation. Okto has always been overly-trusting of all people, and was never one to doubt the good intentions of a stranger. But Okto was becoming suspicious of Zin.

Okto recognized one of the underlying messages in Anders' tone; he wanted some alone time. Spending the last day or so with the group was more social time than the hermit ranger was probably used to. Okto covers for him, "That sounds good, I think I managed to find a way to not be sacrificed to Auril by my mates if I take the job, so we can show the newcomer the way there in the morning. Have a good night, and a safe trek!"

To the remaining group, he adds, craving his tried and true method of forgetting about a tough day's work and inflicted exhaustion, "I would like to cap this night off properly, with a couple rounds of drinks and songs, if anyone'd like to join me. I have a place here in Targos that any of you are free to stay in tonight, but it's hardly bigger than Anders' hut and there's usually another person or two crashing there, but it's free of charge for all of you." he smiles as he slowly begins pulling the group towards a tavern.
Feb 28, 2022 12:47 am
Sweet tinkling bounced off the acoustics of the old Cathedral as Bells entered taking in the high ceilings hewn from stone that failed to protect those from the bitter wind. It was not shelter physically or spiritually that the faithful gathered to find because none was to be found in this so called place of worship.

Members of this congregation that the bard had witnessed so full of exhurburance and hope in the tavern stood as ice statues with only the fog of breath swirling around their lips to give evidence that life existed. Now reduced to shells, they recited their chants of hopelessness. How quickly the followers surrendered the flame that had let them burn bright.

But not Zinvaris. No. The elf seemed to grow enflamed by the service even questioning those who had listened. One does not have to follow certain teachings to know those coming out of the dark can not stand the full light of truth. Wisdom would advise patience, Bells rested a hand on his forearm as a gentle warning,and not to challenge those in their domain of power.

Bells watched the ranger leave with no consideration than to state to meet at his place. Could she find his place? And even if she could, the trail would not be safe for a lone woman to travel where three armed guards had been struck down. No, she would have to pass and work at the tavern.

That was until Okto made his kind offer. I've already agreed to perform for the evening so it is back to the tavern for me and Ma has promised me a bed. But if you would consider having me on your next adventure, then would you mind picking me up to travel to Anders' in the morning?
Feb 28, 2022 12:53 am
"Only if you add a couple more lines about me in that song you made about our day, and let me duet it with you!" he teases, his skip returning to his step.
Feb 28, 2022 2:10 am
OOC:
Okto and Bells can turn this adventure into a musical! Is Okto a baritone or a bass?
Feb 28, 2022 2:21 am
OOC:
I think the name The Miserables fits quite well for an Icewind Dale musical! And he's probably a baritone trying to be a bass lol
Last edited February 28, 2022 2:36 am
Feb 28, 2022 2:35 am
Bells’ hand and words seem to extinguish the cold fury burning in Zin’s eyes. He nods slight when she speaks of wisdom. Zin’s body relaxes as he takes his hand out of his cloak. He follows the group outside and listens to their plans. When their conversation pauses he asks Can I meet you tomorrow morning to head to the ranger’s shack? He pulls a gold coin from his purse and tosses it to Okto For a few drinks to account for my mistake earlier…
Feb 28, 2022 2:48 am
Okto catches the coin with a surprised smile, and by the looks of it, it definitely seems like Okto values the coin more than it's actually worth, like every coin he finds is beyond valuable, since he's never had many of them. Any doubts about Zin vanish for the moment. "Oh! Why, thank you. It's really not necessary but I do appreciate it." he says politely while quickly, before it could be argued, stashing the coin deeply into a hidden pocket. "And yes, all of you are free to join me in the morning to make our way out to Anders' place, I think I'd prefer it that way anyways."
Feb 28, 2022 3:35 am
Rayne joins the group outside the church. While he has his own opinions of the service, he keeps them to himself in lieu of more pressing matters. It is more difficult than Rayne had thought to ask more of the others, but the orcs had no coin or valuables and without selling the gem, he was still facing the prospect of trying to survive the night on the frozen tundra with only his furs and bedroll to keep him warm.

"While I loathe the idea of imposing once again, I was hoping to spend another night on Ander's floor but he seems to have already made his way there. I'm afraid I am a bit short on coin until we can sell that diamond. Okto, if you could give me a floor to spread my bedroll I would be much obliged and could pay you back once we settle our spoils."
Feb 28, 2022 3:43 am
OOC:
Anders would have waited for Rayne had he asked for a place to sleep.
Feb 28, 2022 3:50 am
OOC:
But Anders would have left poor Bells to cross the tundra alone? All after he sleeps in a clean bed because the bard washed his sheets.
Feb 28, 2022 3:51 am
OOC:
He would have waited for maybe one person. He's a super introvert!
Feb 28, 2022 4:51 am
OOC:
The ranger leaves Bells to take a hit because Anders needs some alone time and the bard is going to take that journal and have a dramatic reading on the tavern's stage. I'm just sayin'!
Last edited February 28, 2022 4:52 am
Feb 28, 2022 6:18 am
cowleyc says:
OOC:
Anders would have waited for Rayne had he asked for a place to sleep.
OOC:
I'm sure he would have, just one of those timing things with PbP, and I didn't want to have to retcon that nice writeup you did. I can picture Anders walking off alone into the tundra with an open bottle of wine in one hand and didn't want to spoil that image.
Feb 28, 2022 6:40 am

Rolls

Decision time? - (1d6)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.