Neverland Knaves [FULL/CLOSED] [OSR/CAIRN]

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedCairn RPG SystemPrivate1 / dayeclectic.samurai
Many have heard of the island. Stories of Pirates and Mermaids and children who fly tend to spread with relative ease. But to most, that's all they are: stories to tell children at night. Tales to send them off to a happy, dreaming sleep. Nothing to dwell on beyond that.

But it's all true. The details have been muddied, and it's been a long time since the Darlings first flew to Neverland, but the island does exist. There are Pirates and Mermaids and a gang of boys who take to the skies.

What the stories don't tell you is how dangerous it all is. The kidnapping and threat of murder are fun and exciting from the safety of your bed, but it's very different when you're staring down the mouth of a Crocodile big enough to topple a castle.

Speaking of which, the island is far more than what was written in the books. Giant beasts and constant threats abound throughout the island. Mummified corpses haunt the swamp and no shadow is safe on a bright sunny day.

This is Neverland. Or at least this is "A Neverland". Like memories or stories, there are different versions depending on the narrator.

It's time to tell our own tales of Pirates and Mermaid and children who fly.

https://i.imgur.com/pniJyvY.jpg

Jan 20, 2022 7:25 pm
THE WORLD

Many have heard of the island. Stories of Pirates and Mermaids and children who fly tend to spread with relative ease. But to most, that's all they are: stories to tell children at night. Tales to send them off to a happy, dreaming sleep. Nothing to dwell on beyond that.

But it's all true. The details have been muddied, and it's been a long time since the Darlings first flew to Neverland, but the island does exist. There are Pirates and Mermaids and a gang of boys who take to the skies.

What the stories don't tell you is how dangerous it all is. The kidnapping and threat of murder are fun and exciting from the safety of your bed, but it's very different when you're staring down the mouth of a Crocodile big enough to topple a castle.

Speaking of which, the island is far more than what was written in the books. Giant beasts and constant threats abound throughout the island. Mummified corpses haunt the swamp and no shadow is safe on a bright sunny day.

This is Neverland. Or at least this is "A Neverland". Like memories or stories, there are different versions depending on the narrator.

It's time to tell our own tales of Pirates and Mermaid and children who fly.

https://i.imgur.com/0b1KPWS.jpg

CHARACTERS & RULES

Your character is a human high school teenager (Junior or Senior preferably) that is considered a knave by their peers and teachers. Perhaps misunderstood, perhaps not, but a knave nonetheless.

Each PC is mechanically defined by three attributes: Strength, Dexterity, and Willpower. Furthermore, each player may select their PC's favored subject area within school and provide some insight on why they may be perceived as a knave. . .this of course, is for flavor, but could have some mechanical impact at various points throughout the game (bonuses, advantages, disadvantages, et cetera).

The rules "under the hood" for this game are fairly lightweight and are a hacked version of Knave and Into the Odd called Cairn. This system will provide the basis for rulings, but in general, I subscribe to the concept of "rulings over rules". Furthermore, the starting conditions and various other little tidbits will be customized to fit this theme and setting. **Note - It is not imperative that you get a copy of Cairn as I will provide a Rules Summary that is quite sufficient in order to play the game.

APPLICATION

1) Why do you want to jump into this game?

2) What is your preferred style of play?

3) What's your favorite movie?

4) What types of characters do you enjoy playing?

Thanks!
Last edited January 22, 2022 5:49 pm
Jan 20, 2022 10:35 pm
1) This is a solid idea of what sounds like a great game. I'd love to play in a game like this.

2)I'm not sure what you mean by this. I'm easily adaptable though, so anything works.

3) As far as movies go, that's a long list..lol. some of my top favorites..The Hobbit trilogy, The Lord of the Rings trilog, Saving Private Ryan, Braveheart...etc

4) I usually play the more combative types. Fighters..Rangers...etc.
Jan 20, 2022 11:15 pm
1) I am a fan of Neverland as an adventure location. I have played in three con games that are a mashup of Amber and Neverland and I'd like to see what direction you take Neverland.

2) Like Squadfather, I'm not sure what you are asking here. I like games with a good mix of action and roleplaying. A good story and a setting I want to explore top my lists of must haves.

3) Just one? Well going by how often I rewatch them, The Fifth Element, Ever After and Topsy Turvy would be the top three.

4) I like to play the brainy types, scientists and magicians and diplomats. When possible I play dabblers in everything; I tend to go for a jack-of-all-trades if I can. In the Amber Chronicles there is a character called Bleys that is referred to as the second best at everything. That's that kind of character I go for. You might best me at your specialty but I have so many more tricks up my sleeve.
Jan 21, 2022 5:39 am
1) Why do you want to jump into this game?

Because I think Neverland, is the perfect environment to play an antivillain.

2) What is your preferred style of play?
I like a mix of combat and role play. I enjoy tactical combat Sims, and I also enjoy building a world with people. Not going to lie, I very much enjoy approaching the world directly, sometimes brutally. I can be intense.

I really LOVE skill challenges.

3) What's your favorite movie?
That is a really tough question for me to answer. It's a three way tie between American Psycho, The Raid, and Ong Bak.

4) What types of characters do you enjoy playing?
Typically my characters are solipsisms. They have utter belief that they somehow created this world to entertain themselves. So they tend not to take the world seriously, but perhaps take themselves too seriously?

In games like D&D I like playing healers. Otherwise combat engineering roles. Brutal force applied is always fun. But the Warlock is my favorite class, it's just so balanced.

In this game I'd play Gaston. Perhaps literally. But make no compunctions that this man will essentially be failing to be a villain because he's convinced himself that he loves peace, and doesn't care what he kills for his peace. Kinda like Peacemaker.
Last edited January 21, 2022 6:48 am
Jan 21, 2022 6:22 am
I concur with Verrain's answer for #2. I love a great story and location. Something that I can develop my character in.
Jan 21, 2022 2:43 pm
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I'll keep this application thread open for one more day and close it off this Saturday (01/22/22) and we can move forward from there!

Thanks again. :)
Jan 22, 2022 5:49 pm
Sending out invites! Thanks for applying everyone!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.