Monster of the Week - One-Shot

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

ClosedPowered by the ApocalypsePrivate1 / dayGanesh
There are monsters out there.. lurking.. waiting..
Only one group can stop them.

Jan 22, 2022 11:54 pm
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1zNIJ7N8kq-WjsbvvEK_GMMbIkNa0PLL2

Most people don’t believe in monsters, but they’re real.
When someone finds out that monsters are real, it’s usually just before they get eaten.
But some people are mean enough, smart enough, crazy enough, or hurt enough, that they live.
And some of those survivors go on a crusade against the monsters.
That’s you.
It could be that you make a stand and defend your hometown from everything evil that comes there.
It could be that you take to the road and go hunt them down, wherever you can find them.
It could be that you have magic powers to put you on an even footing, or that your name came up in prophecies thousands of years ago.
The one sure thing is that you aren’t gonna go back to your old safe life.

I want to give a try to Monster of the Week game. I've never run it before but it looks like it would be fun for a quick one-shot to try out the system. Three players would probably be optimal.

The general type of scenario/monster we'll decide together, perhaps selecting from: undead, aliens, Cthulhu, etc., and then I'll put together a scenario.

The posting will hopefully be fast so we can get through it and experience what this game has to offer.

The genre itself is filled with horror, so there will likely be lots of blood and guts, and death of innocents. So you have to be OK with that sort of thing.

Anyone is welcome, preferably people that have never played before so we can all be in the same boat.

This game is explicitly friendly to LGBT and any other minorities or marginalized groups.

I'll just take people on a first-come, first-served basis. If there is a ton of interest then maybe we'll run two groups if I think I have the time.

Any takers?
Last edited January 26, 2022 1:14 am
Jan 22, 2022 11:57 pm
I love this genre of games and I've been trying to test out PbtA for a while so this would be great for me (if newbies to the system with close to no PbtA experience are welcome).

I am in a whole bunch of games already, however, (and a lot of them are similar to this one genre-wise), so I'd be happy to step back in order for someone else to take the spot. But if there are free spots left, I'll be happy to fill one up
Jan 23, 2022 12:07 am
I've never tried the system but it seems like a "simple" and fun system, particularly for one-shots or a short series of adventures.
Jan 23, 2022 12:10 am
I seldom get to play, but run MotW a lot. I don't want to take a place from any new to the system, but if you need another player, I can join.

There are a few quirks to the rules (very early generation 1 PbtA, and the book is terribly organised for finding anything again), so If you need any help, feel free to give me a shout.
Jan 23, 2022 1:41 am
Worth noting MotW is one of the highlighted games this New Gamemaster Month, so there’s likely some excellent system- and game-specific advice in the NGMM posts!

(And yeah, I’m also a big MotW fan but have a decent amount on my plate—most recently I played a pirate displaced in time using the Exile playbook and it was fun as hell. Anyone interested in PbtA who hasn’t played a PbtA game yet should definitely apply!)
Jan 23, 2022 11:03 am
Would love to try this, the playbooks look super fun.

I only played a short-lived PbtA game (that pretty much stalled after character creation) a long way back, but I remember liking that the rules try to establish interesting links between the characters.
Last edited January 23, 2022 11:03 am
Jan 24, 2022 8:07 pm
I would also enjoy trying out a quick pbta by play by post.
MotW would it be in the veins of Buffy/ Supernatural, right?
Jan 24, 2022 9:07 pm
Aironfabio says:
Those are both listed in the book as inspirations.
It is a rather versatile ruleset, though. So the GM/group might have other ideas of the tone or themes.
Jan 24, 2022 10:29 pm
I have played a couple PbtA games and love the system, been wanting to try this one for a while, if there's an open spot still. Big fan of horror and it looked like an interesting twist on the system.
Jan 25, 2022 12:48 am
Aironfabio says:
I would also enjoy trying out a quick pbta by play by post.
Exactly right.
Jan 25, 2022 12:50 am
OK.

I've invited:
Dr_B
Aironfabio
Silver2238

Let's get started!
Jan 27, 2022 12:38 am
I'm bumping in case one more player wants to get in.
Jan 27, 2022 1:11 am
I would be interested. I've never played MotW. Looks like fun.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.