Miniatures painting - Help me get started!

Feb 9, 2022 6:47 pm
So I've been looking to pick up a new hobby, preferably one that isn't electronics related. I realized as I like gaming and art, maybe miniatures painting? This could easily be in the board games section as well.

So, any folks out there do miniatures painting? It may seem like a stupid question, but what do I need to get started? Obviously paint and a brush and minis, but any acrylic paint? Any brush? I'm hoping to get some guidance to get my feet under me.
Feb 9, 2022 8:35 pm
I think the main thing is to just start. Minis painting is one of those hobbies you can read about, and watch tips video for weeks before ever painting something.
I highly recommend the Reaper Bones kits. You get a case, paint, brushes, minis, and instructions.
Feb 9, 2022 9:25 pm
I don't paint miniatures but I'm okay at arts and crafts stuff so I've painted with brushes and acrylic colors before. One piece of advice I can give you, that I'm sure also applies to miniature painting, is that there are good brushes and shit brushes and the difference is very noticable, even for a beginner. A lot of beginner hobby art sets tend to have cheap brushes (and colors but that takes more of a keen eye to notice, I think) and will probably leave you more frustrated than excited about a new hobby.

In the size you'll need for miniature painting, even good brushes aren't excruciatingly expensive.
Feb 9, 2022 9:36 pm
Couple a tips that have worked well for me. Get blue tack and stick your minis onto a piece of firm cardboard or a piece of wood and line them up. Any hardware store primer paint will work and spray them all at once and then leave them to dry still stuck to whatever they are on. This makes them easy to paint and easy to move. Grab some prescription pill bottles and move the dry mini's onto the top of one of those bottles, one per, for easy painting.

Any craft acrylic paint works. I bought mine in Walmart. Brushes too. If you want to make your minis really pop, buy a set of washes. They make it easy to shade folds in clothing and bring out other fine details. They make a huge difference to the result.

Money and time saver: Save any yogurt cups, lids, etc from anything and use them to mix your paints. Throw them out when done to save washing up.

Lastly and most importantly have good eyesight or good glasses and lots of patience!
Feb 9, 2022 10:04 pm
If you're going to use varnish, test how well it dries in your workspace first. I had issues with specific varnish not drying well due to my apartment air being too damp and staying slightly sticky for a good while after. :D
Feb 9, 2022 11:09 pm
First and foremost, painting miniatures is a process, and it's good to just start. Don't be discouraged by initial results and you'll find that you'll start to develop techniques and gain experience with paints and brushes.

Reaper paints are good, and I've had good use out of Vallejo as well. When you use the paints, squirt or pour some into a cup or lid as Windyridge suggested as it will save the paint bottle from drying out. I've only used water-based acrylic paint so I can't speak for other types. Depending on how quickly you go through paints, you could use a 5mm stainless steel ball bearing to drop into an old pot as an agitator to loosen things up.

Have a small bowl or jar of water to clean your brushes, and a paper towel to dry them by "brushing" them across the towel. Don't soak the brushes in the paint. That can leave paint stuck in the fennel which will skew the bristles into non-cooperative ways.

As for brushes, you'll want a base layer brush with a slightly bigger head for large area coverage, and several fine-point brushes for detail work. Paint in layers from the bottom-up, large to small. That means you layer on the base coat first, which could be the primary color on clothing or armor. Build up from there, adding a darker shade or a dark wash to the recesses, then a lighter shade on the raised areas to give depth. Many fine details are raised above the larger areas, so work on them last.

Along with the wash recommendation, there's the dry-brushing technique to really bring out those highlights. The basic principle is that darker colors are in the deeper or lower parts of the miniature, while lighter colors are more towards the outside surface.

The funny thing is that miniature painting is not designed to be a replica of what the person or object would be in true scale; it's to trick the eyes into believing what they see is a replica, so you are trying to provide contrast for the details and let the person fill in the rest. Of course, there are those master-class artisans out there who are experts at blending and shading and other painting techniques, but if you're just starting out don't look at those and feel that you have to do what they do.

These examples were painted using the above principle. For the single model, I layered a darker shade of color to the large areas, then a lighter shade on the raised surfaces to give the illusion of depth as you can see in the hair and fur cloak. The armor was basecoated in a dark grey, then dry-brushed with silver on the raised surfaces. I did not use a wash as this was painted before I started to try out that technique.
[ +- ] Single Model
I used the same techniques for the group of models, and this time hit everything with a wash. You can really see the areas where the wash collected in the recesses and crevasses to provide contrast and bring out all the details. For painting a squad, I recommend an assembly-line method of painting the same areas with the same color one after the other. By the time you finish with the last model, the first has reasonably dried enough that you can apply the second color, and you repeat the process.
[ +- ] Group Models
Mar 13, 2022 11:39 pm
So, painted my first mini from the Reaper learn to paint kit. Not great, but not bad.

https://i.imgur.com/PPnbHiq.jpeg

https://i.imgur.com/sYACkx9.jpeg
Mar 14, 2022 4:12 am
For your first mini, I would say this is pretty good.
Mar 14, 2022 9:07 am
You forgot to paint the bowstring
Mar 14, 2022 9:38 am
bowlofspinach says:
You fiend!
Mar 14, 2022 9:39 am
Antiproduct says:
bowlofspinach says:
You fiend!
Oh snap!
Mar 14, 2022 10:01 am
Also forgot to paint the bones. I mean I'm not the only one with red bones right?
Mar 14, 2022 10:11 am
nezzeraj says:
... I'm not the only one with red bones right?
Technically all our bones are painted red. :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.