Chapter 8 - July

Feb 12, 2022 12:23 pm
GM
About a week goes by, after the Mother Ruth case, bringing the summer into July.
There is an atmosphere of great anticipation for the upcoming 4th of July celebrations in town. Parades, musical shows and festivals are being planned, the date usually marking the start of the tourist season in Gulf Haven.

https://i.imgur.com/Pk7Pqo5.jpg
Anna and Logan have been grounded for a couple of days for acting irresponsibly, after which they were free to come and go - although making it up to Gram and Mom has become something prominent in their mind. Logan mentioned to Gram he has visited two old ladies, Ethel and Eleanor Parker, at the Retirement Home. Gram remembers the sisters, and seemed pleased about that.

Cody has been keeping a low profile for a while, the close encounter with the ghost having rattled him quite deeply.

Alana got away with being imposed a "summer job" by her parents, as she clearly has too much time on her hands. She was quick to say that she had one arranged already, at the Library, helping with cataloguing in the new computer system. Her parents checked this was true, then relented.

https://i.imgur.com/9LlKyoJ.png

Our story begins in the Library, where Alana is being trained by the younger librarian (that Alana now knows as Yvonne) in how to use the cataloguing software.

Yvonne, GH Librarian
"Then you have to move the cursor arrow to the next fillable box on the screen. See? Remember, the most important is to type the titles and authors without spelling mistakes... and to press RETURN to send it in the system. No RETURN, no logging, don't forget."
Yvonne is repetitive in her teaching, but is quite kind and personable. Alana is glad she's not being instructed by Donna, the older librarian.
Feb 12, 2022 3:32 pm
Logan sits up from working on a...project in the Headquarters. Closing the file box, he stretches his back and comes downstairs.

Seeing nobody around, he grabs a quick drink from the fridge. Bored and with no other prospects, Logan grabs a notepad and writes a quick message about where he'll be. Logan then goes outside and gets on his bike and heads out towards town.

GM

Dr_B

Feb 12, 2022 3:33 pm
GM
OOC:
at the end of the previous adventure, your three characters gain an Advance each:
[ +- ] Advances
OOC:
In addition to the rulebook Novice Edges, these will be useful:
[ +- ] List of new Novice Edges
[ +- ] Skill List
Can post further info for any of the options above if needed.
Feb 12, 2022 3:34 pm
OOC:
I posted right before you did...lol

What's the Sleuth edge?
Feb 12, 2022 3:42 pm
OOC:
Logan doesn't quite qualify yet, but:
[ +- ] Sleuth Edge
Feb 12, 2022 3:47 pm
OOC:
I'll post them all:
[ +- ] Novice-level New Edges
Feb 12, 2022 3:49 pm
OOC:
Increased Riding (1D4 to 1D6) and Persuasion (1D6 to 1D8)
Al does what she's being told at the library to the best of her ability. It's very boring work, not nearly as cool as working with a computer had sounded, and she keeps coming across books that would be way too easy to make jokes with in the system. "The Picture of Dorkian Gray", "The Great Catspy", "Moby Duck"... The possiblities were endless.

But she decides to behave, at least on her first day. If she gets fired from this job, who knows what other summer job her parents will dig up for her...
Feb 12, 2022 3:53 pm
OOC:
THese are from the SWADE rulebook. Only the ones with an N in the requirements apply to Novice-level charachters (and also check other Trait requirements)
[ +- ] SWADE Edges summary
Feb 12, 2022 3:53 pm
OOC:
I'll raise Smarts to d8
Feb 12, 2022 4:00 pm
OOC:
Cool, Logan pls annotate on the character sheet that you took that option at Novice rank (as it is only available once per rank).

Also:

-everybody replenish to 3 Bennies (mark them pls)

-you can decide between you what Advancement Cody gets, I made his character sheet Public so you can see it)
Feb 12, 2022 4:03 pm
OOC:
I actually get 4 Bennies because of my Edge.

For Cody, maybe Agility to D8.
Feb 12, 2022 4:19 pm
bowlofspinach says:
OOC:
I actually get 4 Bennies because of my Edge.

For Cody, maybe Agility to D8.
That sounds like a good move for Cody.
Feb 12, 2022 4:33 pm
OOC:
Cody has already raised an Attribute in his first Advancement (he had increased Smarts to d6), an option only available once per Rank. Sorry, needs to be something else.

Feb 12, 2022 4:41 pm
OOC:
Darn it! How dare he think he needs a brain and not just muscles?!

Hm, I can't really think of much else right now. He has super low Attributes so there's not much to raise in regards to Skills.
Maybe the Connections Edge? There's lots of people in the trailer park. Maybe there's always someone who can help with the issue at hand somehow...
Last edited February 12, 2022 4:41 pm
Feb 12, 2022 5:07 pm
OOC:
I'd say the Connections edge does fit. Either that or raise a skill or two that fits him.
Feb 12, 2022 6:52 pm
OOC:
Connections might work well. I'll think of someone that can be useful... and introduce them in the game at the first opportunity.
Feb 12, 2022 6:59 pm
OOC:
I think Connections would be more like multiple people. There's just always someone around who can help, not necessarily the same person.
Feb 12, 2022 7:02 pm
Yvonne, GH Librarian
"Good work." she says, after Alana has got to the bottom of her assigned pile of books to log. She looks at her watch. "You can take a break, come back in half an hour."

GM
Alana takes the opportunity to get out in the sun. She pushes the Library double glass doors and breathes in the summer air. There are kids racing on bikes, and people going in and out of the Library from the car park.

A voice surprises her.

Man in suit
"Howdy young lady," says a man in a summer suit and hat, in a friendly tone. "You wouldn't be by any chance one... Alana Patterson, the... Monster Hunter?" he puts a respectful emphasis on the phrase. He has an open, friendly face, and an ease of manners that make you feel comfortable.
Feb 12, 2022 7:30 pm
Al looks surprised but then she nods eagerly. "I am, actually," she says excitedly. "Why are you asking? Do you know of a monster?"

Chuck Lafayette

Dr_B

Feb 12, 2022 7:38 pm
Chuck Lafayette
The man gives you a business card, while chuckling at the question. "A monster? Why, not unless you count my Mother in Law! Hahaha!"

- CHUCK LAFAYETTE -
Associate Reporter
Washington County Chronicle

✉ Gulf Haven, AB - 📞 251-706-1483

"Chuck LaFayette, I'm from the local newspaper," he says touching the brim of his hat. "People are raving about you, saying you and your Hunter friends were crucial in finding a lost boy, Davey Jenkins? 'That right, Miss?"
load next

Thread locked