Star wars dice roller tables

Mar 6, 2022 8:24 pm
For SW custom character sheet support.
Dice notation. Use either PPAAASS or 2P3A2S. Show on the character sheet as coloured icons.
Mar 6, 2022 8:33 pm
I don't play genesys games, so maybe I should have a say but I think the second version (using numbers) is easier and less prone to errors. Though the letter one has the benefit of more easily letting you upgrade your dice
Mar 8, 2022 5:11 pm
I haven't had the chance to play Genesys, but I agree with bowl, I think the numbers are easier to read especially as the number of dice increases. Might be good if it allows spaces, that would make it even easier to read: 2P 3A 2S.
Mar 8, 2022 6:21 pm
Numbers (2p 3a) are easier to read, repeated characters (appaa) are a bit easier to add to the pool --which is part of the game's core mechanic.

Strings of letters is going to get very hard to read, so it might be a matter which is more important, ease of entry or ease of reading.
Mar 8, 2022 7:17 pm
Just thinking, this is for integrating rolls into custom character sheets, so we really want to be able to include calculation in these rolls. For this reason, I expect the numbers might be better.

E.g. we might need:
[_$=mod1+mod2]P [_$=mod3+mod4]A 

Although maybe there's an easy way to do this for repeating letters, I don't know.
May 20, 2022 8:37 pm
Sorry I'm late to this party. I have little to no coding knowledge, but way to much Genesys/Star wars FFG knowledge. anything I can do to help get the narrative dice into a custom character sheet?
Jun 1, 2022 8:45 pm
Alternatively, would it be possible to add some of the custom sheet features to the existing Star Wars FFG/Genesys character sheet?
Jun 2, 2022 5:22 am
I'd prefer to allow the creation of Star Wars sheets as custom sheets, as the goal is to allow custom sheets to support all sorts of games.

The problem is that I don't play "all sorts of games", so this is me..

https://i.imgur.com/fi8UBZU.png

I'm going to need some guidance.
Jun 6, 2022 2:42 pm
well, I have no idea how coding works, other than what I've seen in the cartoons my kids watch, and I'm guessing those leave some details out.
But I can answer any question you have about the Star Wars FFG/ Genesys, and also beg for feature request.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/111024013319-gilligans-island-story-top.jpg

It sounds like the issue, that there needs to be some kind of repeatable or copy/paste-able code for the dice roller right? So that players can have the skills they want roll automagically for them?
Jun 6, 2022 2:56 pm
I don't need help with the code. I don't know what I'm supposed to be coding (other than Star Wars dice).

From what I remember:
A roll has ranks and ability scores.
Yellow dice is the lower of these two numbers.
Green dice is the higher of these two numbers minus the number of yellow dice.
Between 0 and 5 purple dice can also be added to this sort of roll.

So we might have something like:

Brawn | [_bra$=2]
Melee | [_ability$=5] | [_$=swAbilityRoll(ability,bra)]

Where swAbilityRoll renders a SW dice set based on brawn and the ability score (set to 5 here). So this would render 2 yellow dice, 3 green dice, and 5 optional purple dice.

But this is just one example. I don't know what other rolls SW uses.
Jun 6, 2022 3:48 pm
That's pretty much how it works. (for the 'good die' which is all we're worried about here) You have you 6 main characteristics, and then you have skills based on those characteristics.
Then you can buy ranks in those skills. So in your example, the person has 2 Brawn, and 5 ranks in melee. You take the higher number, and you get that many green/ability dice, the you take the lower number and upgrade that many ability dice to yellow/proficiency dice. (the higher number is usually the characteristic, but could be ranks, like in your example.
Then you have the 'bad dice' which is the difficultly, that the GM sets. Then there's lot's of other littel/minor things that can adjust a roll, so they way it works in the character sheets now is awesome.

Almost every roll in star wars/genesys follows this format. There are times that you roll with no difficulty. There are the force die for using force powers, and there's a d100 for critical hits. And weapon rolls require some math, but we can worry about that later.

I suppose the dice pool doesn't have to be calculated automatically. The user could just enter it manually. then adjust it whenever they spend XP to increase a characteristic or buy ranks in a skill

edit: not sure if that makes sense, or answers any questions you had
Last edited June 6, 2022 3:49 pm
Jan 20, 2024 6:32 pm
Just checking in to see if there's been any progress (or will be) on adding the Star Wars Genesys dice to the custom character sheets?
Or alternatively, letting us add some of the other custom features into the existing Star Wars character sheet?
Jan 22, 2024 1:10 pm
Hey @crazybirdman - I won't be adding any support for this or anything else.

If someone else wants to open up the code then and wants some pointers, then I'll try to be helpful.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.