Ask Me Anything: MagnificentFly

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

MagnificentFly

bowlofspinach

Mar 12, 2022 8:01 pm
In an attempt to get to know the community and other users on GP better, we want to allow a different member each week to step into the spotlight.
You can find more information here.
About me:

Name: Magnificent Fly or the Fly for short.
My game interests: World of Darkness (primarily Vampire but interested in other venues as well), Warhammer 40k: Only War, Warhammer Fantasy, Dungeons & Dragons, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk and any other weird experimental homebrewed systems that occasionally pop up here.

This AMA will run until 19 March 2022.
MagnificentFly
Mar 12, 2022 8:49 pm
-How did you get into RPGs and at what age?
-Having to choose one, live tabletop or pbp?

And I think I'll keep this as my trademark question:
Which is the B-movie that you just have a thing for and keep rewatching?
Mar 12, 2022 8:52 pm
Quote:
You didn't ask me that 😪
Why a fly? And what makes flies magnificent?
Mar 12, 2022 9:24 pm
So. Do you ever like gaming a Bard? and/or writing small poem/chants and such to go with it?
Mar 12, 2022 9:31 pm
Quote:
-stan
The suffix -stan, has the meaning of "a place abounding in" or "a place where anything abounds" in the Persian language
Besides Uzbekis, what does Uzbekistan abound in that a visitor might not expect?
Mar 12, 2022 10:53 pm
Antiproduct says:
-How did you get into RPGs and at what age?
-I looked into TTRPGs mainly due to my frustration with video games. I know there are limitations, it is impossible to account for every possible decision a player may make and the story and mechanics of the game are hard coded, which leaves no room for improvisation.

I learned about the existence of TTRPGs after playing Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines as the game had a different and unique feel to it in comparison to the games I played before. It was the year 2005 or 2006, don't remember. Fast forward a few years I played Shadowrun Returns and learned that it is also based on TTRPG. However, there was no way for me to obtain any of the books (mainly due to them not being translated) and there was no one I could play with. Jump to 2016, I discovered Roll20 and got my hands on several pdfs, I already knew English by then, so was curious enough about the hobby to start playing online with complete strangers.

Naturally, D&D being the most popular I started playing it, however, I had more success with text-based games (not PbP yet) than voice-based ones. Add to that my shifting time zone as I was studying overseas (but still in Asia) and majority of players are US and EU based. A few years later due to my failure to find games other than D&D I looked into other sources besides Roll20 and discovered PbP. Come 2019, I was looking for any WoD game or at least a place where they occasionally happen and found GP. Funny enough, the first game I played here was D&D as well (I am fairly certain it was the same game that was first game on GP for bowlofspinach).
Antiproduct says:
-Having to choose one, live tabletop or pbp?
-While both have their pros and cons, I would probably go with PbP as it is much easier to find a game in PbP than finding people and arranging schedules for a live one.
Antiproduct says:
Deep Blue Sea or maybe Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot? I am not sure what constitutes for a B-movie. Most of the movies I like to rewatch and would probably be considered bad today are pre-2000 movies we had on VHS at home. Most of them were probably considered A-movies (?) back in the day, the likes of The Professional with Jean-Paul Belmondo, Luc Besson's Taxi and such. Would Yamakasi and District 13 count as B-movies? Hm... moving away from French movies ... how about Indonesian Raid?

I do not know how this gradation works and last time I went to a Cinema theater was in 2018. Not an avid movie goer I am, but do watch movies online when I have the time.
bowlofspinach says:
Why a fly? And what makes flies magnificent?
Flies are annoying but I am Magnificent, which is why there is a 'the' in short name and it is always capitalized. This is my final (latest?) form. I started as a Mighty Mosquito, then turned into a Ferocious Cockroach, then I became a Vicious Moth and now I am the one and only Magnificent Fly. There is a pattern in my madness but I don't remember how it all started.
GeneCortess says:
So. Do you ever like gaming a Bard? and/or writing small poem/chants and such to go with it?
I never gotten to actually play a Bard, though I made a few bard characters for games that never gotten to lift off. I cannot write poems but would appropriate a song to suit my needs if the opportunity presents itself. I had a BardBarian for whom the last part of Manowar's song Sons of Odin would fit very well (didn't get to play him unfortunately).
Mar 12, 2022 11:36 pm
Qralloq says:
Quote:
-stan
The suffix -stan, has the meaning of "a place abounding in" or "a place where anything abounds" in the Persian language
Besides Uzbekis, what does Uzbekistan abound in that a visitor might not expect?
[ +- ] Clear skies and mountains
[ +- ] Deserts
[ +- ] approximately 1000 years old fortresses in the desert, don't remember actual age
[ +- ] Preserved architecture in some places
[ +- ] Important people
And great cuisine. I don't have pictures of that as I prefer eating the food rather than looking at it.
Mar 13, 2022 4:52 am
bowlofspinach says:
Quote:
You didn't ask me that 😪

I didnt get asked that either :(
Are there any games you really loved, but then fell out of love with over time? Or a game you didn't really like at first but then grew on you?
Last edited March 13, 2022 4:52 am
Mar 13, 2022 10:58 am
Have you ever played the boardgame Samarkand, in the real Uzbek city of Samarkand?!?

https://i.imgur.com/NgoJ7iG.png
Mar 13, 2022 12:05 pm
nezzeraj says:
Are there any games you really loved, but then fell out of love with over time? Or a game you didn't really like at first but then grew on you?
Checkers for the former and Chess for the latter.
Dr_B says:
Have you ever played the boardgame Samarkand, in the real Uzbek city of Samarkand?!?
Never heard of this game until now. I did play chess and some card games in Samarkand during my visits there. To my knowledge, the most popular boardgames here are Chess, Checkers and Long Nardy, most popular card games are probably Durak and Preferans (DO NOT play any these games on the streets and bet money on it, you will lose no matter how good a player you are!). However, my knowledge of what boardgames people play here are very limited as there are a lot more games accessible to people than when I was growing up.
Last edited March 13, 2022 12:06 pm
Mar 13, 2022 12:53 pm
Quote:
(I am fairly certain it was the same game that was first game on GP for bowlofspinach)
The big city game wasn't my first on here, but one of my first. Might have been my third.
What's your favorite easy to make dish to eat?
Mar 13, 2022 8:34 pm
Quote:
Warhammer Fantasy, Shadowrun
Now those are two things we have in common, plus I was excited you mentioned Bloodlines and especially the Shadowrun: Returns games!
MagnificentFly says:
Flies are annoying but I am Magnificent, which is why there is a 'the' in short name and it is always capitalized. This is my final (latest?) form. I started as a Mighty Mosquito, then turned into a Ferocious Cockroach, then I became a Vicious Moth and now I am the one and only Magnificent Fly. There is a pattern in my madness but I don't remember how it all started.
It's a Malkavian thing, people either just get it or they never will.
Mar 14, 2022 9:37 am
bowlofspinach says:
I ... uh ... don't know. I am not a gourmet, I take whatever I have in the fridge peel it, cut it and then throw it on the frying pan, add salt, pepper and other spices and that's it. Or porridge.
DarK_RaideR says:
Quote:
Warhammer Fantasy, Shadowrun
Now those are two things we have in common, plus I was excited you mentioned Bloodlines and especially the Shadowrun: Returns games!
I am sure there are more things we have in common, like, for example, we both know how to spell and pronounce Ιάσωνας as well as a preference for cats.
DarK_RaideR says:
MagnificentFly says:

It's a Malkavian thing, people either just get it or they never will.
Now that you mentioned it, I actually never played a Malkavian before ... although after mentioning the Bloodlines I felt obligated to boot it again and actually do a Malk playthrough. Hm ...
Mar 14, 2022 9:41 am
MagnificentFly says:

I am sure there are more things we have in common, like, for example, we both know how to spell and pronounce Ιάσωνας as well as a preference for cats.
I just gotta ask... Why do you know how to spell that in greek?
Mar 14, 2022 9:55 am
MagnificentFly says:
bowlofspinach says:
I ... uh ... don't know. I am not a gourmet, I take whatever I have in the fridge peel it, cut it and then throw it on the frying pan, add salt, pepper and other spices and that's it. Or porridge.
Allow me to recommend the revolutionary frozen pizza. No peeling, not cutting and generally better than anything I can make ;)
Mar 14, 2022 9:57 am
Antiproduct says:
I just gotta ask... Why do you know how to spell that in greek?
I asked DarK_RaideR during his AMA. I also was interested in Greek Mythology when I was a kid and tale of Ιάσωνας and his Argonauts was among my favorites, and was very surprised to see that he is known as Jason in English (granted in German it would sound similar to original but modern English moved away from its Germanic roots in this case). In Russian the name is spelled Ясон (though there are versions where it spelled Иасон) and pronounced closer to the original, though the letters ας in the end are dropped.
Mar 14, 2022 10:01 am
CESN says:
Allow me to recommend the revolutionary frozen pizza. No peeling, not cutting and generally better than anything I can make ;)
I don't think we have those on the market, but I do order pizzas from time to time. Also, I prefer to use fresh ingredients, had a lot of food poisoning of varying degrees during my school years and my digestive track is pretty messed up now.
Mar 14, 2022 3:08 pm
MagnificentFly says:
Now that you mentioned it, I actually never played a Malkavian before ... although after mentioning the Bloodlines I felt obligated to boot it again and actually do a Malk playthrough. Hm ...
I can guarantee you'll have a great time. Malk playthrough is best playthrough.
Mar 14, 2022 7:45 pm
What is your favorite and least favorite smell and sound?

And I think I'll keep this as my 'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct:
What do movies and television get wrong about your culture, and about your job/career?
Mar 14, 2022 11:38 pm
crazybirdman says:
What is your favorite and least favorite smell and sound?
I don't usually go around sniffing things, so don't really have a favorite smell but to entertain the idea and answer the question, my favorite smell would probably be that of a fresh air right after the rain.

As for sound, this is where I can't even think of any separate sound that I would want to hear. I listen to music almost all the time but that is not a single sound but a combination of great many sounds at different intervals and volumes.
crazybirdman says:
And I think I'll keep this as my 'Trademark Question' ©Antiproduct:
What do movies and television get wrong about your culture, and about your job/career?
Oof... that's a question. So, I am ethnically Russian but was born and raised in Uzbekistan, while Russian culture is closer to me I would consider Uzbek culture my own as well (to some extent, there are things I don't do but understand why its done and accept it when it involves me).

I haven't seen much of Uzbek culture shown in movies and television outside of local and Soviet media. However, a few old documentaries that I've seen depicted us living like in Dark Ages. Granted, part of the reason for that was our not exactly open borders (it was very difficult for foreigners to get in, besides post-Soviet countries).

As for wrong depiction of Russian culture ... well, that's the can of worms that best remain closed for now.

Job/Career ... well, before Covid hit I was a Project Coordinator in a Travel Company and ran a small business on the side, and currently I am Freelance Tester (I know GP needs people like me but I don't have the time and energy to do it properly) and private English tutor for now. Can't say these jobs are often depicted in the media.
Last edited March 14, 2022 11:39 pm
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.