Let's talk about GP's menus

load previous
Mar 23, 2022 9:56 pm
This is a very different idea. So one bookmarks dropdown instead of dropdowns for each type (characters, games, forums)?

I think I prefer the separate dropdowns but I'm not 100% opposed to this as an alternative
Mar 23, 2022 10:24 pm
I see the benefit of separating them.

Maybe the My Bookmarks page has a few lists that you can populate:
1) Characters header drop down (the first of which is My Characters)
2) Games header drop down (the first of which is My Games)
3) Forums header drop down (the first of which is Forum)
4) Bookmarks header drop down (the first of which is the My Bookmarks page, the others could be a mix or other misc. urls like threads, posts, users, etc.)
5) Non-drop down bookmarks
Mar 23, 2022 10:28 pm
And if you delete all the bookmarks in one of the drop down lists, then the header functions only as a link. So the people who don't like the drop down at all can continue to use it just as a one click link.
Mar 23, 2022 10:29 pm
I don't use the dropdowns at all ever. So whatever people want to do is fine with me. Bookmarks I might use though.
Mar 24, 2022 7:22 am
Chalrytharendir says:
I rarely use the drop down menus for Characters and Games and I probably won't use the drop down menu for Forums. But I'm not opposed to them either. I can see why some people like them.

However, I love the bookmarks idea! I feel like it would be a good replacement for the drop downs.

The way I would like to see bookmarks implemented would be a new Bookmarks header (which maybe has a little arrow to indicate it has a drop down). The first link in the drop down list is the link to a My Bookmarks page, which is a page with two lists.
1) gp urls that you want in the Bookmarks drop down that would populate under the first link which is reserved for My Bookmarks.
2) gp urls that you don't want in the drop down, but you want to save for reference on the My Bookmarks page.

There should be some buttons to easily rearrange the lists (e.g. move up, move down, move to top, move to bottom, move to position __#__, delete bookmark, etc.), so you can organize the order however you like.

You should be able to manually copy urls into the lists. And on each GP page (regardless of type, so on a game details page, or a character page, or a forum, or a thread, or a post, etc) there should be a bookmark button that if you click, it copies the current url into your list (maybe sort of like the subscribe button).

With this new Bookmarks drop down, I would guess the other drop downs would be redundant, so I'd remove the drop downs from the other headers (Characters, Games, Forum) and instead they would just be links to the relevant pages (My Characters, My Games, and Forum).

For new members, I would auto-populate the Bookmarks drop down with Introductions, Guides, Questions and Help, and Games Tavern.

I think this would improve site navigation.
I think by this point you're better off using your browser's bookmarking capabilities.
Mar 24, 2022 7:29 am
Quote:
I think by this point you're better off using your browser's bookmarking capabilities.
You're not wrong 🤣
Mar 24, 2022 8:03 pm
Adam says:
Good point, although we can't pre-load browser-based bookmarks with useful links for newbies, but probably not worth the effort of implementing a site-based bookmark system just for that.

Comments in the poll suggest some people don't want ANY drop down menus because they aren't organized in a useful way. Should we ditch them all? For anyone who likes the drop downs, we can recommend they use browser bookmarks instead.
Mar 24, 2022 8:06 pm
Chalrytharendir says:
Should we ditch them all? For anyone who likes the drop downs, we can recommend they use browser bookmarks instead.
I've already removed them in the next deployment.

It's a shame as I've been using that guides link a lot today. I'll miss it. Oh well.
Mar 25, 2022 8:20 am
The first tread I would bookmark (perhaps the default one) would be the tread with all the bbcodes, how to make table, polls etc. I find that I keep searching for adams documentation tread
Mar 25, 2022 8:55 am
runekyndig says:
The first tread I would bookmark (perhaps the default one) would be the tread with all the bbcodes, how to make table, polls etc. I find that I keep searching for adams documentation tread
Yes, quick access to those guides --at short notice, when they are suddenly needed-- is a regular search for me too.
Mar 26, 2022 9:47 pm
I like the idea of custom links, maybe you can favorite a thread and then it shows up on that list, same with subfourms then I would like the feature.
as for browser based bookmarks. The issues with browser based bookmarks are.
1. multiple devices
2. no name so they all look look a d6 on a parallelagram.
3. I still want it to tell you if you have a new post in that thread.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.