Logbook Entry: 2400-03-01 - A blip on the radar

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 23, 2022 10:54 pm
Turn a bit right. I think I see another spot of this damn fungus... Ray radios to Ezra. He, Filip and Jettison are hovering above the hull of the 'Lucky Chance' in vac-suits, using plasma lances to burn away the layer of fungal growth that has appeared on the ship once again.
Ezra meanwhile turns the ship like a shish kebap over a grill. Only that the grill is a white dwarf. The bright blue light is a perfect contrast to the brown spots of mould.
This has been the 27th time they had to do this procedure. The first time it appeared the fungus nearly closed some maneuver thrusters. Luckily enough the fungus seems to die when it comes in contact with air, so at least the inside of your ship is safe. Only a thorough cleaning procedure, along with partial disassembly of the hull could get completely get rid of it but the cost of 10₡ to do so is not a small sum and so you just stop every few days to clean off the fungal growth.

The 'Lucky Chance' is a very old space freighter with a lot of problems. Life support can only heat the ship slightly above freezing temperatures. The hallway doors only open halfway and the mentioned fungal growth necessitates regular cleaning of the hull.
Nevertheless for such an old vessel it still does a remarkable job. There are freighters that are half its age that have been decommissioned because of mounting issues. And last but not least, it's the only ship you can afford. Despite its age the ship is still capable of running the occasional odd job. You're not rich but you earn enough to afford a modest and independent life.

*BLIP-BLIP-BLIP* the sensor workstation emits a beeping sound. You are not alone it seems. A space-vessel of some kind is approaching. The transponder is turned off. A bad sign. You have about 15 minutes until it reaches you.. Oh no... 10 minutes. It's accelerating towards you! This is a very bad sign.
Better come in guys. Someone is visiting us and we better be prepared... Ezra radios back to Ray
Time to prepare for battle it seems
Mar 26, 2022 5:51 pm
Ray turns off the plasma lance, and instinctively takes a quick look around him. He doesn't spot anything as the approaching space-vessel is still far away, but even if it was closer, space can be really disorienting when trying to spot anything around you. Ray is not the kind of person that looks forward for trouble, but he is also cautious against all kinds of dangers a space crew can face (which are too many) and he has learned to waste no time. A turned-off transponder could always mean it's just broken, but it's better to be prepared for the worst. Ray waves to Filip and Jettison and reaches them using the radio, as he starts moving slowly towards the airlock.
Guys, we may have guests. Fungus should wait for now, lets head inside to see what's going on.
Last edited March 26, 2022 5:52 pm
Mar 27, 2022 1:49 am
"Roger Roger Ray Ray" Jettison answers flippantly. He's been doing that since he joined the ship ... how long ago? A person of no mentioned history, he just showed up one shift while the Lucky Chance was docked at Tannhauser Gate. He pulses the thrusters on his vacsuit and glides smoothly toward the airlock.
Mar 27, 2022 9:03 pm
Ezra worriedly monitors the crew as they scramble into the ship and get ready to cycle the airlock. Ezra is watching Filip on the grainy exterior camera hoping he makes it into the airlock quickly.

When you get inside, hussle to your stations. I'm thinking we strap in and do a hard burn. Anyone disagree with that tactic? I've got a really bad feeling about this.
OOC:
Interested to hear if folks think we should parlay with the incoming ship or if we should try to get out of Dodge, although not sure we'll be able to outrun them!
Last edited March 28, 2022 2:39 am
Mar 28, 2022 7:54 am
"I figured this trip would be my funeral." Engel says to himself as checks the med-bay to make sure the appropriate supplies and equipment are well-stocked and in the right place. The action was more of a way to calm his nerves, an almost ritualistic act whenever danger started to present itself on the "Lucky Chance".
Mar 28, 2022 4:18 pm
"Hey," Jettison says, "I bet it's herb pirates!" He laughs. "Probably hungry. Do we have any spare ice cream or twinkies?"
Mar 28, 2022 6:19 pm
Ezra rolls his eyes at Jettison's remarks. Always cracking a joke even if we might not live to hear another punchline, thinks Ezra.

Ezra frantically flips switches on the bridge control panel and preps the ship for a hasty departure.

Not sure if we can outrun these, um, herb pirates. Better think about our tactics if we face a boarding party.
OOC:
GM, let me know if I should do a Piloting roll or something similar. I suppose if the approaching ship clearly will catch us, no roll would help. I will try to do evasive actions (piloting roll I think?) if it comes to that. I will also open a com channel and say "Unidentified vessel, please announce your attentions." and then continue to negotiate with them if they pursue us and/or fire at us.

Everyone else, We can withstand a few shots (our ship has heavy armor (break 3 times)), although I think we'd just surrender and deal with a boarding party if it was clear after a couple of shots that they outgunned us (no use wasting all our armor). Think about your actions if we are boarded. It will speed things up if we post conditional actions like 'If we're boarded, I'll stand near the airlock or entry point with my <weapon name> ready to shoot people entering the ship if negotiations have failed.'
Mar 28, 2022 6:20 pm
With everyone back in the ship you have only a few minutes left to decide what to do.
The ship stopped accelerating. A casual glance at the sensor readings shows that is apparently turned it thrusters towards you and is doing a reverse burn probably to stop close to the 'Lucky Chance'
Ezra will recognize this as a classical military attack maneuver. Come in hot and do a reverse burn as late as possible in order to close in FAST. Usually used by boarding crews or ships built for close combat.
There still is no activated transponder and the ship is not hailing you.

So what do you want to do?

-Try to speed off in order to flee?
-Attack? Your ship only has minor offensive capabilities. Its cannons are built for warding off debris, asteroids and torpedoes and not for space combat
-Make a scan? Maybe you can use your sensors to discover the capabilities of the ship
-Brace for contact or maybe even impact? Just sit in place and wait what happens
-Or maybe something else? Of course you can come up with your own course of action.
Mar 28, 2022 6:24 pm
Dreamweaver says:
OOC:
GM, let me know if I should do a Piloting roll or something similar. I suppose if the approaching ship clearly will catch us, no roll would help. I will try to do evasive actions (piloting roll I think?) if it comes to that. I will also open a com channel and say "Unidentified vessel, please announce your attentions." and then continue to negotiate with them if they pursue us and/or fire at us.
OOC:
Oh we posted at the same time XD

So yes if you try evasive maneuvers it'd be a piloting roll. You can of course try to hail the ship.

Everyone else: Just as Dreamweaver said you can of course post a conditional action. You can also try to man a station like the guns, or the sensors... If in doubt its good to post an appropriate roll to speed things up. If I don't need it to resolve the action I'll just ignore it.
Mar 28, 2022 6:32 pm
Ezra shouts over the comms, "Hang on! Let's see if we can outrun them and evade fire while I see if I can talk some sense into them."

Ezra fires up the engines on the 'Lucky Chance' and speeds away. Even though the enemy ship hasn't hailed them, Ezra decided to see if talking can help give them an edge. "Unidentified vessel, please announce your attentions."
Last edited March 28, 2022 6:42 pm

Rolls

Piloting roll - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Mar 28, 2022 6:36 pm
OOC:
Oh, geez. 1st roll of the game is a 1!!! Off to a great start :-P
Mar 28, 2022 6:41 pm
OOC:
Ouch! Bad first roll.
I'm gonna give the others time to announce an action before resolving it.

In general I always try to give each player time to act before I resolve the actions of the group. After 2-3 days I move on nevertheless just to keep the game flowing. Hope this is alright for everyone. If someone needs more time just post me a quick message.
Mar 28, 2022 6:50 pm
Jettison waits for the others to get in the airlock, then ducks in and cycles it closed as Ezra activates the engines. He doesn't have a firm hand hold, and tumbles across the lock chamber as the ship accelerates.
OOC:
Willing to have Jettison take an injury - or break his vest - as the "disaster" outcome of Ezra's hasty piloting.
Mar 29, 2022 2:00 pm
As soon as Ethan enters the ship, he rushes to his seat and starts operating the supporting systems panels in front of him. He takes a quick look at the ship's status, making sure the shield is up and all systems running, and then he proceeds to use the sensors to do a tactical scan of the approaching ship.
OOC:
Are we all supposed to operate various systems of the ship, or is everything under the pilot's responsibility alone? Also, is the approaching spaceship close enough for a tactical scan, and do I need to roll for a successful scan, or for the info we manage to get from it?
Mar 29, 2022 10:40 pm
Onboard the Lucky chance
Ezra tries to speed off but forgets that the thrusters are still in rotational mode. So instead of accelerating the ship he just spins it violently.
Filip and Ray are already strapped in but Jettison is violently thrown around in the airlock like a lone sock in a washing machine. He smashes against the rack with the vac suit and hears a crack. Luckily instead of his ribs, his armored vest took was the thing that cracked. Until he can get it fixed it won't be much protection
Onboard the boarding vessel
Acker and Landonis found out about this old battlefield. A bunch of military grade equipment just waiting to be picked up. They booked a freighter that would bring them here and help them with picking up the most valuable pieces.
Unfortunately the freighter jumped away when it was full with goodies and left you two stranded.
At least you had a bit of luck. You had just enough air in your vac suits to reach an old boarding craft with a functional reactor and a functional life support system.
But that was all the luck you had.
As soon as you booted it up, the main screen flickered, printed the message "TARGET ACQUIRED" and sped to an unknown destination.
After a few minutes you saw a dot on the radar screen and a countdown printed next to it.
As soon as the countdown read '3:36' you can hear a sound coming from the comms unit. "Unidentified vessel, please announce your attentions."
OOC:
So we have Ezra, Filip, Jettison and Ray onboard the Lucky Chance. Acker and Landonis are onboard a boarding craft speeding towards the Lucky chance, being hailed by their captain Ezra Cooke.
Let's hope that you somehow find a way to stop the craft or at least communicate
@Dunko and @bdciopp. Your chosen weapon upgrades will be onboard the boarding vessel. If bdciopp chooses the shuttle, the boarding craft will be the shuttle
tibbius says:
OOC:
Willing to have Jettison take an injury - or break his vest - as the "disaster" outcome of Ezra's hasty piloting.
Very noble of you. Jettison breaks his vest
nikos says:
OOC:
Are we all supposed to operate various systems of the ship, or is everything under the pilot's responsibility alone? Also, is the approaching spaceship close enough for a tactical scan, and do I need to roll for a successful scan, or for the info we manage to get from it?
Yes, you are supposed to man stations. I made a post describing your ship here. Here you can see what stations your ship has.
Mar 30, 2022 1:50 am
Strapped into the co-pilots seat, Acker shouts once more into little ship's comms unit, "I said we have NO control. Do you read?!"

She smacks her open palm once more on the flickering instrumental panel and snarls at Landonis.

"Either you get control of this ship or I get the comms online, 'cause if we get neither we're either getting blasted by them or we're ramming them against our will. So, let's not do that!"

She kicks the underside panel of the instrument dash, then pries open the section she loosened. She stares bewildered for a second, then grits her teeth and starts pulling at electronics wiring.
OOC:
Making Electronics roll, untrained, to try and get the comms up!
Last edited March 30, 2022 1:53 am

Rolls

Electronics - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Mar 30, 2022 1:53 am
OOC:
Second roll and a 1! We're definitely off to a good start 😊
Mar 30, 2022 5:22 am
Whatever you say boss says Landonis as he shakes of dizziness of hyperdrive jump. He starts flipping and checking all the switches around to regain control of the ship. hi girl talk to me. We could be friends he says directly to the spacecraft with a smoothing but nervous voice.

As Acker smashes comms he adds common boss be gentle to her! She probably saw some crazy shit before
Last edited March 30, 2022 5:23 am

Rolls

Pilot - (1d8)

(4) = 4

Mar 30, 2022 5:24 am
Dunko says:
OOC:
Second roll and a 1! We're definitely off to a good start 😊
OOC:
nothing fuels good adventure like good 1 :D
Last edited March 30, 2022 5:26 am
Mar 30, 2022 3:25 pm
"Ah nuts!" says Jettison. He scrambles around the airlock, makes it to a seat and straps in. "Ezra, man, I understand you're in a hurry ... next time you thrust, remember to hit the switch for the seatbelts lights, right?" He looks for some controls to operate. Weapons. He starts to power them up.

Rolls

(unskilled) Ship Weapons - (1d6)

(6) = 6

load next

Thread locked