General Chat

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 13, 2022 6:40 pm
nikos says:
... I was thinking to dropout and leave my place for another player ...
Sorry to hear that. But no worries.
nikos says:
... opportunity to get familiar with a FitD game, still I'm not sure if it clicks for me better than the traditional OSR systems ...
I heartily recommend you take the chance to try it live, if you get the opportunity. It works so much better in that medium.

I have been looking at custom making system using Psi*Run, and just now found and am reading this article by Vincent Baker about Otherkind Dice, but that also struggles a bit from the pre- and post-roll discussion issues (though a bit less so on the pre-) so I am steering clear of it if I can find another system to fit the idea.
nikos says:
... I don't want to leave ...
Maybe stay on then, and we fade Miles to the background until you have time? I would hate to lose you, I was enjoying what you brought to the table, and you would be welcome in any future games I run regardless of how this goes.

Don't feel pressure to keep up with this, or to make time to post, though. Take care of your real life stuff first, and good luck with your studies.
nikos says:
... hope I didn't drag the game ...
Not a big deal, the timing was not the worst. :)

Thanks for letting us know .
nikos says:
... feel free to move my character as needed ...
We can assume Miles is scouting ahead, or off taking care of whatever offscreen stuff needs his particular expertise. There is no need to make mention of it, that way we don't define anything now, leaving us open to work out the details if he comes back.
May 13, 2022 6:43 pm
Do we want to add another player?

There was some interest, and I said I would ask.

Feel free to PM me with answers, even if they oppose anything said here.
May 16, 2022 1:35 pm
I'm leaving the game to open a spot for another player, I'll watch how the game unfolds. Thanks everyone for having me! Have fun.
Jul 7, 2022 2:27 pm
We have lost our hacker, and are down to two PCs.

Do we want to continue with the game? (we can assume we got what we need from 'the guy in the chair'.)
Jul 9, 2022 1:32 am
It may just be my interpretation, based on friends relaying their experiences etc., but the hook for this system/SRD was the crew/heist/flashback to how we have what we need sorta thing--like The Lies of Locke Lamora or Oceans 11.

Being down to two people feels like it'd put a damper on that further 😕

I think I'm OK calling it a day and acknowledging it was a good playtest, unless you two are really set on continuing.
Jul 9, 2022 6:36 am
Dunko says:
... the hook for this system/SRD was the crew/heist/flashback ...
Largely, yes.
Dunko says:
... like The Lies of Locke Lamora ...
Those were good books.
Dunko says:
... Being down to two people feels like it'd put a damper on that ...
I would not have wanted to start with only two, it is not in an ideal number for BitD, but I also think we can muscle through with a virtual hacker. We can say we are close to the goal and focus on the characters we have.
Dunko says:
I think I'm OK calling it a day ... unless you two are really set on continuing
I don't mind calling it. I will probably save my BitD games for the few times I get to play live (not PbP).
Jul 10, 2022 9:12 am
Dunko says:
It may just be my interpretation, based on friends relaying their experiences etc., but the hook for this system/SRD was the crew/heist/flashback to how we have what we need sorta thing--like The Lies of Locke Lamora or Oceans 11.

Being down to two people feels like it'd put a damper on that further 😕
Yeah I don't know much about the system, but that is a fair point. I'm ok either way. I'm very busy this month, so that could free some time for the other games. But, to be fair, the game pace has not been very demanding so far.
Jul 10, 2022 9:25 am
CESN says:
... to be fair, the game pace has not been very demanding so far ...
To be fair it was supposed to be a 1 post per day game, and I suspect the slow pace has contributed to the decline. The system really does benefit from lots of engagement.
CESN says:
... I'm ok either way. I'm very busy this month ...
We could look at this again next month, if we are still thinking about it? But a clean break may be best?
Jul 11, 2022 8:01 am
vagueGM says:
We could look at this again next month, if we are still thinking about it? But a clean break may be best?
Yeah, we didn't get too far and picking it up in a month... it would probably be best to just restart. I was looking forward to the moment E. would dramatically die but this is how PbP works xD

I'm still not completely sure how everything works, but I thought the threat and effect idea is nice. Maybe it can be somehow be adapted to work better for PbP.
Jul 11, 2022 8:23 am
CESN says:
... and picking it up in a month... it would probably be best to just restart ...
I think I agree. We can do a restart if we ever decide to try it again. But there are other Cyberpunk systems that are better suited for PbP.
CESN says:
... I was looking forward to the moment ...
Yeah. The scenario ended up a little wonky --what with losing relevant defining PCs right after the start and other factors-- and may not have been ideal --I am still not sure how I would have brought the Hunted bits into play, and there was limited option for 'social' (though the group did say they preferred social, and then went off and made Ranged Combat as the highest stat:), but... anyway.
CESN says:
... I'm still not completely sure how everything works ...
It really is a system that rewards experience. The more familiar the players are with the various mechanics the smoother it runs. I do think that if I try to do FitD in PbP again I will be more emphatic about only doing it with people with experience. It just takes too long to get that experience playing PbP, so I am happy to teach it in live game where it takes a session or two to get somewhat familiar, but in PbP that will take years to get up to speed.
CESN says:
... I thought the threat and effect idea is nice ...
It is a nice simplified rendition of Blades' Position and Effect and is much easier to understand and to bring into play. It may be a little bit too simple, there were a few points where I found it limiting, and was forced to follow certain formulas --where in Blades I had more freedom with the outcomes-- but I think I will steal some elements of it for regular Blades.
CESN says:
... adapted to work better for PbP ...
I was hopeful that this simplified system might do that, but regular Blades in the Dark is a Swiss-Clock type system, where all the bits work together and trying to use them without all the rest is hard. Even the very setting is so tightly integrated into the way the mechanics work that I have not found many Forged in the Dark games that successfully separate Dokvol from the rules.
Jul 11, 2022 8:38 am
vagueGM says:
and there was limited option for 'social' (though the group did say they preferred social, and then went off and made Ranged Combat as the highest stat:), but... anyway.
ahah I wanted the silent guy on the back and went off and got the baby-sitter's job xD

You do not have permission to post in this thread.