Public BBS

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 29, 2022 3:05 pm
'Message Board' for all those not-so-subtle-lurkers out there who want to get involved.
Mar 31, 2022 3:14 am
Thanks! I guess I rolled a glitch on lurking XD

I'm excited to follow along and see how FitD works for PbP. I would have enjoyed joining, but just a bit busy IRL right now. Maybe if there's follow-up in the future I can join in.

Enjoy the game everyone!
Mar 31, 2022 10:04 am
Chalrytharendir says:
... guess I rolled a glitch on lurking ...
Well, actually... that is technically not how that works, but you are not in my game, so I won't correct you on the exact rules. :)
Chalrytharendir says:
... follow along and see how FitD works for PbP ...
Well... 'see how(or if) it works for us'. I can not speak for all tables and levels of 'working'. :)
Chalrytharendir says:
... Maybe if there's follow-up in the future I can join ...
If it works, there may well be more 'last jobs'.

What part particularly interested you? The FitD part or the Cyberpunk part? ...

... Or even the 'last run oneshot' part, for that matter? Disposable PCs are kinda baked into the Cyberpunk genre, and not normally a thing I like about it, but it works well enough here.
Apr 3, 2022 12:58 am
vagueGM says:
Well, actually... that is technically not how that works, but you are not in my game, so I won't correct you on the exact rules. :).
😆 Oops, I only quickly skimmed the rules since I didn't have time to play. Feel free to explain, part of why I'm lurking is to learn. I thought a fail on a glitch die brings additional complications. Usually lurking implies following/watching but remaining hidden, so I thought glitchy lurking might include a complication like being "not-so-subtle." Definitely a bad joke if I got that completely wrong 😂
vagueGM says:
Well... 'see how(or if) it works for us'. I can not speak for all tables and levels of 'working'. :)
For sure. Different things work for different groups, but I think following along will still be a worthwhile experience to help recognize why something might or might not work later, or have ideas of things to try/avoid if something isn't quite working later.
vagueGM says:
What part particularly interested you?
Both FitD and cyberpunk.

I've not had a chance to play FitD before (irl or pbp) but from reading the SRD, excerpts and reviews from various games, and listening to Actual Plays, I'd like to give it a try. I am wary of some of the criticisms too, like the fact the many of the games' settings are typically integral to the games, so if you aren't extremely familiar with the setting/source books it can be challenging. It seems that isn't the case for CBR+PNK, which is nice. Also, I've played Lady Blackbird by Harper, and enjoyed, so I've been interested to play other games he's created/influenced.

A few things have been putting me in the mood for cyberpunk lately. For instance, I'm re-reading Snow Crash at the moment, so cyberpunk has been on my mind. I was also following along the Mistborn book club on the discord (I read it years ago). It's not cyberpunk at all, but the crew/heist theme has parallels to going on a /run. Also more generally, I'm a neurobiologist irl and one thing I like about cyberpunk is exploring where the interface between the nervous system and technology might take us in the future.

The "last run" theme of the game isn't important to me, but I can see how that's a fun angle. It's an interesting way to establish the characters are experienced veterans in their trade. I like that it's a oneshot, it would be a good test to see if I like it before committing to something longer.
Last edited April 3, 2022 1:25 am
Apr 3, 2022 11:14 am
Chalrytharendir says:
... a fail on a glitch die brings additional complications ...
Pretty much. Though I think it will be more noticeable when there is a Glitch combined with an overall Success rather than when things a Miss already. The interesting part is the dichotomy of (50/50 chance of) a Consequence even on a Critical Success.
Chalrytharendir says:
... glitchy lurking might include a complication like being "not-so-subtle." ...
Indeed. Though, as with Partial Successes, the Glitch should not negate the fact that it was still a Success. So rolling to stay hidden and getting a Glitch should not result in being revealed (often a result of 'not-so-subtle'). Something else interesting should happen.
Chalrytharendir says:
... Definitely a bad joke ...
Me too. It was meant as a joke. /ohwell
Chalrytharendir says:
... following along will still be a worthwhile ... might not work ... ideas of things to try/avoid if something isn't quite working later ...
Indeed. And don't hesitate to ask if something does not make sense to you (this applies to all the players and this might be a good place for such meta-game discussions (but we can take it somewhere more private if the players don't want to see how the sausage is made)), or if you have thoughts on how else it could have been done.
Chalrytharendir says:
... not had a chance to play FitD before (irl or pbp) but from reading the SRD ... I'd like to give it a try ...
Blades in the Dark is a very good read, even if you don't plan to play it.
Chalrytharendir says:
... wary of ... criticisms ... many of the games' settings are typically integral ... if you aren't extremely familiar with the setting/source ...
The settings are simple and adaptable enough that there is no real need for deep familiarity. You do have to read the setting chapters, but they are short and well-written enough, that that is not an issue I have encountered.

People do tend to worry that they will 'get things wrong'. But the setting is designed to be adjusted to what the table likes, and any given game will not have all the Factions and NPCs in play, so the group just selects a few that sound interesting and then concentrates on reading up on and then fleshing out those few. More can be added later when needed.
Chalrytharendir says:
... isn't the case for CBR+PNK ...
CBR+PNK has no setting assumptions. Which is a blessing and a curse, depending on how much the GM needs. This does mean that players, seeing an advert for CBR+PNK, don't really have a way to know what they are getting into, unlike if they see 'Shadowrun' or 'The Sprawl' or 'Cyberpunk Red' or 'Cyberblues City' or "Interface 0' where they can have a good idea of what to expect.

As with all such short games, the players have to trust the GM to make this stuff up, they don't have the reference to the rules to guide them. If they know the GM this can work really well, if they are completely new and have to rely on the GM for all this anyway, this can work really well, but I find that that in-between part when they are trying to expand and understand the rules for themselves is the most tricky in such games (OSR, I am looking at you (like anyone even knows what 'OSR' is:)).
Chalrytharendir says:
... Lady Blackbird by Harper ... been interested to play other games he's created ...
I have had Agon on my shelf for ages (both 1e and 2e) but have not gotten round to it. Wildlings looks amazing, and has one of the cutest character sheets I have seen, but is still unfinished.
Chalrytharendir says:
... re-reading Snow Crash ...
I thoroughly enjoyed Snow Crash, but found it a little hard to re-read.
Chalrytharendir says:
... Mistborn ... not cyberpunk at all ...
I am not sure I agree. It seemed pretty 'cyberpunk' to me (minus the 'computers' but still using tech in interesting ways). Heist and crews are so much more part of cyberpunk than the actual cyber part. :)
Chalrytharendir says:
... one thing I like about cyberpunk is exploring where the interface between the nervous system and technology might take us ...
Lots of fertile ground, but not nearly as prevalent in cyberpunk as one would expect. Technology has also outpaced the fictional underpinnings of the genre, making it dubious what parts of speculative fiction is still 'cyberpunk'.
Chalrytharendir says:
... The "last run" theme of the game isn't important to me ... I like that it's a oneshot ...
I am not much of a oneshot fan, and am having to work hard to constrain my thinking to near future and not ramble into 'what could be's and long term consequence.

My normal very-collaborative (some say 's/very/overly/') style also has issues with oneshots, since spending too much time on character backstories and building missions/world from them is counterproductive.

I am liking it so far, though.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.